IGNORED

CasualCart's Ink-tober 2022

T-Pac

Graphics Team · Posted

October 2022 is just a week away, and it's time for more ink drawings!

For each day of the month, I'll be translating an 8-bit video game sprite into a cartoon (drawn in ink and colored digitally).

Please post some sprites for me, and I'll try to draw at least one from everybody. The best suggestions are usually more obscure, like enemies or other NPCs. Make sure it's 8-bit (NES, SMS, 2600, Colecovision, Game Boy etc.), and please avoid anything that has already been represented as a cartoon.

My schedule has been pretty tight lately, but I'll do my best to post a drawing every day (I might cheat and start a few early to build up a backlog in case I miss a day haha).

And as always, feel free to join-in and post whatever art you make this month!

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.3d1ea113c660561575b7bd2749430e20.jpeg

image.jpeg.38f2faa1b59aecb9fa43a5c7a72d3883.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Love 4

Events Team · Posted

Oh man, one of my absolute favorite times of year is finally here!

How about a Lowder from Zelda II? I don't recall you ever having drawn it in the previous Ink-tobers, and I'd be very interested to see your interpretation of it, because ever since I was a kid I've never in my life been able to tell what exactly it's actually supposed to be, haha.

0eb2d176987b01e4ef46dd32bc7e131c.png

Some other good alternatives though:

Aruroda

3c7994d436b024fbd6862deadd4d244b.png

Boon (wouldn't mind seeing this one, since they look oddly cute)

ed74be2ee6410f3715e0686e2690129a.png

Megmat

85f8ad393380458c43782b971e6c6f68.png

Tektite (particularly this version from Zelda 2, since the ones from this game are real weird and spindly looking, they really are kind of off-putting)

fc4a780a0efedd4c6f28649431881b3c.png

And beyond just Zelda II stuff, honestly anything from Castlevania: The Adventure and Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge would be cool, since both games do have some real weird looking enemy sprites that I'd like to see your interpretation of.

Figure that gives you plenty of options. Really looking forward to suggestions everyone else comes up with though, these are always great!

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
4 hours ago, drxandy said:

24 minutes ago, RH said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing your take on Weltall.

1BA0C0D1-6745-4EB1-937C-5929C50DE138.jpeg.5ba757e24f116dfbc931bec737db97b0.jpeg

6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Please post some sprites for me, and I'll try to draw at least one from everybody. The best suggestions are usually more obscure, like enemies or other NPCs. Make sure it's 8-bit (NES, SMS, 2600, Colecovision, Game Boy etc.), and please avoid anything that has already been represented as a cartoon.

Haha - dudes...

-CasualCart

Graphics Team · Posted
6 hours ago, CasualCart said:

@fox @Tanooki Guyyyyyyyys!!!! Please read the rules!!! 

@ZeldaFreak did it perfect. Take a look at his post.

- genuine 8-bit games

- obscure sprites

- nothing that has already been represented as a cartoon.

(I'm sorry to be knocking down everyone's suggestions already, but drawing stuff that's basically already a cartoon just isn't fun for me. I want to take old, barely-distinguishable messes of pixels and realize them as something creative.)

-CasualCart

• Like 2

Hell yeah Ink-tober, the only event worth that month for me. 😎

Okay, let's see.. 8-bit, obscure, not already a toon..

This may be a boring choice, but how about this bloke from the PAL exclusive, International Cricket? (Yeah yeah, another Beam Software game.)

This guy was a meme for me and a friend years ago whenever we play this game, all the laughs we got each time our players gets an out and he screams that line, all in that NES's audio PCM sample glory, I'd love to see your toony take on him.

Hope this one meets your standards for what your looking for this Ink-tober, if it doesn't in some form, don't hesitate to point it out. Regardless, very anticipated and excited for the art you'll do this year. 😁

InternationCricket.png.125a2fdb05ef4bba5e276d72aa9784a8.png

• Like 2

Alright here are some recommendations:

toadborg from Bucky ohare 

image.png.665bdf214afbf04cba034dc253273ada.png
https://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/buckyohare/sheet/88747/

for a popular game, what about some of the more obscure enemies from super Mario bros 3? How about rocky wrench

image.png.84a7c75838c9acbd8bff5c7aeb6f753b.png

or maybe shoe goomba 

image.png.74402494c20d864c0a7a43f198830a3e.png

or maybe muncher

image.png.2bc03df039452306e307cf1ad1ac25e3.png

https://strategywiki.org/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._3/Enemies

you’re creative. For an out there kind of thing what about the tetris pieces?

https://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/tetris/sheet/32943/

• Like 3

I'd like to see the "Nerves" boss (big woman with enemies popping out her chest) petting the "Bau" (the hell hound boss)

The Bau is the first boss and the Nerves boss is at about 1:24 in the video.

Abadox is my favorite forgotton game on the entire NES library...its the only game I owned sealed that I kept sealed for my collection!

Also, if the nerves boss is too fully fleshed out (badum tss) the final boss of the game is a work of art in its own....it's basically the female reproductive anatomy inverted, growing out of a tortured soul being sucked of her life force.

Edit: Just realized the protagonists gun is oddly phallic...ESPECIALLY on the vertical levels....this game is a euphemism for sex isn't it...

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

Haha you guys know me well...

@drxandy and @DefaultGen coming in with 2600 games, @RH posts a sick mech (still need a sprite instead, though), and @ThePhleo suggests my favorite game of all time (and ruins it a little with all the ... uh ... details I didn't notice before).

Also -

@Famicuber - that's not technically a sprite, but it's still pretty indistinct so I'll let it slide. And in that same vein, @fox I'll give a pass to your suggestions, too. Those sprites have a lot of detail, but I'll try to do something creative with them. I was just looking for stuff that's less defined, almost like a Rorschach test with pixels haha.

Looking forward to tackling these!

-CasualCart

29 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

@ThePhleo suggests my favorite game of all time (and ruins it a little with all the ... uh ... details I didn't notice before)

The game takes place on a literal living flesh planet. There's bound to be some dangly bits everywhere.

If anything, the few mechanical enemies make zero sense in the game really....also, if you want me to change my suggestion then I can suggest the ultimate 8-Bit imaginary character.

Draw Paddle A from Pong.

Edit: Forgot to put a reference. 😉

pong GIF

Edited by ThePhleo
  • Haha 2