IGNORED

Name a video game series where you only enjoy one game in the whole series.

Lynda Monica

I don't know if this will apply to a lot of people, but I thought I'd go for it.

What is a video game series you've experienced a lot of, but you still only enjoy one game in the series?

The big one that springs to mind for me is F-Zero. The only one that I really liked and played until I 100% completed it was F-Zero Maximum Velocity. That game was so unbelievably good, but none of the other F-Zero games impressed me.

There are MANY series where I feel the first game was the only good one, such as Golden Sun, StarTropics, Touch Detective, Pikmin, Ecco the Dolphin, Professor Layton, and Ace Attorney. I played most of the sequels to these series, and didn't like them. (Though Golden Sun 2 was the least bad)

How about you? What's that one stand out game in a series you otherwise wouldn't touch?

May be a weird choice but Pilotwings Resort. That's the one I first played, and have only played Pilotwings and Pilotwings 64 in the last few years. While I know they're good in their own regards, playing Resort first gave me a lot more expectations for the previous two. I like the other two, but because of that only enjoy Resort. 

I was just talking about something like this the other day, wish I could remember what series it was 😅

There are a bunch of series with two games in, where I only like one of them, but that doesn't really seem interesting.
If you consider Wario Land a part of the Wario Land series, rather than the Mario Land ones, then that's absolutely the only one in that series I'd consider fun.
Rayman Origins might be it for the Rayman series, but I haven't played all the others yet, so I can't really tell.

Of the three Uncharted games I've played so far, Uncharted 2 was the only one I thought was a good game, but I'm curious now if I'd enjoy it on a revisit.

Hmm this is tough. I would say star fox 64 is the only good one but then there’s star fox assault. I would say Mario strikers charged but the other 2 are at least good, just not great. And then I would say boktai 1 is the only good one but I haven’t played 3 and I’m currently playing lunar knights which is good so far. And then there’s paper Mario the thousand year door. Really really good. But same thing. I haven’t played the first one or color splash. I honestly can’t think of a series that only has 1 good entry. 

Without digging into previous posts as I was going to over my shelf for more to post local/sell local hours ago it's fresh in my mind.

From what I was looking at:
- (While a sub-series) Super Bomberman 5 creams the other 4 before it.
- Wolfenstein 3D as I think the others are largely garbage after it, way way off the rails into quake-land.
- Shining Soul 2 GBA (I don't like Shining Force franchise but that one game is so a great Diablo 2 clone)
- Summon Night 2 GBA (Again, don't like the series, the genre I detest) ...and with that...
- Ogre Battle SNES (bleh...hate this genre, like this one game)
- Pikmin 2 (The first was lacking, the third didn't appeal to me WIiU or otherwise)
- World Heroes Neo-Geo (loved the first, don't care for the rest)
- Metal Gear Solid Integral/Twin Snakes (don't care for the franchise or any of the 3D ones but the original, remade)
- Metroid Prime (#2 wasn't fun and #3 I got bored of maybe 1/3 to 1/2 into it, quit on it no regrets.)
- Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2 (#1 and #3 both have critical design flaws that are fun sucking, especially #3)
- Golden Sun GBA (didn't touch the second much, other was just bad)
- Wario Ware Microgames Inc GBA -- tried Wii, GC, some other handheld...did nothing for me.
- ActRaiser SNES a pure understated gem, #2 sucked every fun bit out, put in broken stuff, remaster is poor compared as sometimes less really is more, should have done just that.
- Quake (never could get into 2, 3 was bots or multi which sucked, 4 was meh...)
- Act Attorney on DS, liked the first, disliked or worse sequels

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sumez said:

Rayman Origins might be it for the Rayman series, but I haven't played all the others yet, so I can't really tell.

I was having a tough time thinking of series that fit this question for me...then you mentioned Rayman. I've played the majority of the games in the series but it must be said that Rayman 2 is the only one I actually like. The others (including the original) are all variations on "tolerable" at best.

Also, Tanooki makes a good point about Quake. I like the original...and that's about it.

• Agree 1

Star Fox 64 was already mentioned but I wholeheartedly agree.

Jak & Daxter...loved the first game then the series took a serious nosedive onto some garbage GTA clones.

Sly Cooper is another, loved the first one to death but I just couldn't get into the sequels.

LittleBigPlanet, I loved the first game, so much charm, but all the sequels and spinoffs just lack that something that made the first special.

Kid Icarus Uprising is another one id say. I don't hate the first 2 games but Uprising is in a league of its own. 

One more I just thought of is Duke Nukem 3D. I believe I've tried all the games I the series but 3D is the only one I enjoyed.

I disagree but understand with those saying Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright. The first games of each were certainly the best but I enjoyed all of them in each series. 

Edited by AstralSoul

Editorials Team · Posted
16 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Wolfenstein 3D as I think the others are largely garbage after it, way way off the rails into quake-land.

Of the new (new new) versions of Wolfenstein, I've only played New Colossus, but I absolutely adore it.  Fighting an American insurgency against Nazis?  Hell yeah.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Of the new (new new) versions of Wolfenstein, I've only played New Colossus, but I absolutely adore it.  Fighting an American insurgency against Nazis?  Hell yeah.

New Order is one of my all-time favorite FPS. It's unbelievably good. Old Blood and New Colossus didn't quite do it for me in the same way, but they're still superb shooters. Youngblood can safely be ignored.

Editorials Team · Posted
37 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

New Order is one of my all-time favorite FPS. It's unbelievably good. Old Blood and New Colossus didn't quite do it for me in the same way, but they're still superb shooters. Youngblood can safely be ignored.

Oh right,I did Youngblood as well.  Definitely a step down as I definitely favor the linear approach of NC.

I can' think of a single series where I like only game in the list.  Probably the closest is Xenogears, but to be fair, I've not tried the Xenosaga games and I've only played Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I just can't get into it.

Generally speaking, if I love a game, I've enjoyed other games in the series a well.   They may not all be winners, but usually more than a couple are good.

this is a very good question, but a tough one.

@AstralSoulhad a good callout with Kid Icarus. i liked Uprising the best of the 3, but i would hesitate to say that any of them are "good".

my answer is Bloodstained. i LOVED Ritual of the Night, but felt both the Curse of the Moon games were inferior. that's usually my style of game, so maybe my expectations were too high, but to me they just felt uninspired. don't know if there's more to come in this series (hopefully so!) so this may change down the line

1 hour ago, MagusSmurf said:

*Shakes head at all these people mentioning Ace Attorney who either haven’t played Trials & Tribulations or just have garbage taste.*

Ace Attorney is weird for me, because while I love everything about the first game, I only enjoy the filler cases of the others that came out in English. I like the third case of Apollo Justice a LOT, I like the one with the big muscular fake Phoenix Wright, I like the Masque de Mask case, and pretty much every case that has nothing to do with the over arching plot.

When the series actually tries to move the story forward though, I dislike all of those cases for some reason.