IGNORED

Name a video game series where you only enjoy one game in the whole series.

Lynda Monica

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Of the new (new new) versions of Wolfenstein, I've only played New Colossus, but I absolutely adore it.  Fighting an American insurgency against Nazis?  Hell yeah.

I was ok with the first one that hit PS3, very admirable job especially given they middle fingered multiplayer making people buy the game to actually enjoy their story and work around it which says a lot since it did succeed very well.  I didn't care for the sequel, kind of got into the quake weeds at times, story just didn't keep me with the weird, so I didn't bother with the follow up with the girls.

Editorials Team · Posted
31 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I was ok with the first one that hit PS3, very admirable job especially given they middle fingered multiplayer making people buy the game to actually enjoy their story and work around it which says a lot since it did succeed very well.  I didn't care for the sequel, kind of got into the quake weeds at times, story just didn't keep me with the weird, so I didn't bother with the follow up with the girls.

Isn't Quake a continuation of the Wolfenstein corridor shooting?

It's a interesting take though.  Makes me want to play the middle installments that are on the backlog somewhere.

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Isn't Quake a continuation of the Wolfenstein corridor shooting?

It's a interesting take though.  Makes me want to play the middle installments that are on the backlog somewhere.

Maybe mechanically they are.  I really loved the original Wolfenstein and Spear of Destiny, but when Return showed up and others about that engine I got turned off, lots of cheap hits, not from the nazis but all the terminator and quake flesh on metal/electric style monsters they threw in basically making it like Quakenstein Arena III or whatever.  It ticked me off as it wasn't fun and was too into the weeds.  Yes the old game had some experiments too, mutants with a chest based MP40 basically, but it wasn't like attacking the giant mech suit from like Alien Ripley Used or bigger from the Terminator.  I didn't like the change on that and basically how it handled.  That first one on PS3 was pretty smooth, I didn't hate it, almost kind of liked it more than not, but I've never had an interest to re-do it, tried the first sequel to that and it went into the quakenstein weeds again so I put it down.

Wolfenstein 3D is a horribly boring game 😄 (and not the original ftr, it's the third in the series)

Loved Wolfenstein The New Order, that game was such a positive surprise in every way - it's criminal that crap like Bioshock Infinite got so much more attention, when W:TNO does everything that game does except much better!

Edited by Sumez
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jak and Daxter The Precursor Legacy. I didn't care for any of the sequels which makes sense considering the guys behind the Crash Bandicoot series also made J&D Precursor Legacy. They jumped ship from the company after PL came out.

The Witcher III - I actually knew about Witcher before many people did because I randomly picked up the first game on PC (enhanced directors cut edition) shortly after it came out. I was a PS fan so didn't even know about Witcher II until after III came out. Witcher III turned out to be one of the top 15 games I've played in the past 10 years.

Edited by Radagast

On the flipside I loved all the Jak & Daxter games despite how different they are, and I think the Crash Bandicoots are wonky and boring as hell, there's such a massive shift in quality between the two series.

@RadagastDid you actually play The Witcher 2, or only the first and third games? Because I find the second game to be a vastly better game than the other two. 🙂

7 hours ago, Sumez said:

@RadagastDid you actually play The Witcher 2, or only the first and third games? Because I find the second game to be a vastly better game than the other two. 🙂

Only the first and third game. I never played Witcher 2 but I'd like to one day. They're deep immersive games which I tend to enjoy.

Super Metroid is likely the best example I can think of off the top of my head. I like the Prime series and some of the GB games to an extent but with Super Metroid likely being my favourite game of all time and never really giving any of the others a 2nd thought after completion I think it's a fair answer. I have not played Dread yet.

8 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Super Metroid is likely the best example I can think of off the top of my head. I like the Prime series and some of the GB games to an extent but with Super Metroid likely being my favourite game of all time and never really giving any of the others a 2nd thought after completion I think it's a fair answer. I have not played Dread yet.

Oh! I'd agree with this series, though let's take out the "super" part. 

• Eyeroll 1

Super Mario Kart for me.  I absolutely LOVE the original SNES game and it's extremely fast, arcade quality gameplay and controls.  The N64 game is terrible, it feels like I'm playing in slow motion with terrible, slippery and awkward controls.  Didn't like the gamecube one much at all either.  Couldn't really say much about any of the recent Mario Kart games since I don't own any of those system nor do I care to but I doubt they play anything like original.

Edited by peg
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, peg said:

Super Mario Kart for me.  I absolutely LOVE the original SNES game and it's extremely fast, arcade quality gameplay and controls.  The N64 game is terrible, it feels like I'm playing in slow motion with terrible, slippery and awkward controls.  Didn't like the gamecube one much at all either.  Couldn't really say much about any of the recent Mario Kart games since I don't own any of those system nor do I care to but I doubt they play anything like original.

Yeah, I'd agree to that as of late. I did enjoy 8 on Wii U with the fire hopping... Felt like skill was put back into the game like Super Mario Kart. 

I played a ton of 64 but it's tough to go back to these days but still play SMK a lot. 

6 hours ago, Sumez said:

How many people even played the original game?

So like he russian machine/DOS version?  I have. 🙂

Want to try it?  The game wasn't just made by Pajitnov as much as he gets credit, it was made also by Vadim Gerasimov, and he also is in the US, a professor at MIT, and has had this same webpage up since the 1990s with the story about Tetris few know and the build as a giveaway to enjoy (I guess in DOS box.)

https://vadim.oversigma.com/Tetris.htm

Did anyone mention StarFox 64? 😉

I’ll talk about the Nonary Games series. I really liked 999, so much so that I actually 100%’d it which is something I rarely do. I really wanted to see all the scenes, do all the puzzles and get all the endings. 

It made me want to collect the other games in the series, so I did. And eventually I played the sequel Virtue’s Last Reward.

5 minutes in and …. Uh oh. Oh no. This is one of those specific cases where the gimmick doesn’t work twice on me. Sort of like watching the sequels to the movie Saw. You KNOW what tricks are being pulled and nothing is done to make it interesting again.

On 7/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I like almost everything so I probably can't come up with a very compelling answer.

Star Fox 64 is in the right ballpark though.  Absolutely love it, whereas no other Star Fox game could ever dream of cracking my top 100 or anything.

I would agree except I have still yet to play Starfox Assault on Gamecube to see whether it’s good

It's not on the same tier as the N64 game or even the SNES title.  It's not bad, definitely not that wretchedly poor controlled gas burning dumpster fire of shit the DS got either.  It's a good game, quite decent really, but I would put it in the middle of existing titles.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:38 AM, Tanooki said:

So like he russian machine/DOS version?  I have.

The Electronika 60 version is the original version, and that system alone is super difficult to find in working condition.

The DOS version you're linking to is a very different version, it's the version I grew up with as well, and probably the closest you'll get to an original version that was widespread and popular, so I guess it's what @Bearcat-Dougwas probably talking about? I don't understand how you'd prefer that one to any other versions though. 😄

I never said I preferred it, but when I found that old page from the co-creator around 1995 I was very impressed and I did at that rate still use DOS and enjoyed it a lot.  Ugly, sure, but the spectrum holobyte one I didn't think played remarkably better, just looked and sounded nicer with adlib/sb audio and vga visuals.

When I play my go to is 1989 Gameboy Tetris, plays by far the most fun, and I like the Tengen Tetris version too.

Edited by Tanooki

Editorials Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, Sumez said:

Not you. Doug said he preferred "the original version", and I was just wondering what he meant by that, because I doubt it's the Electronika one.

I'm sure he means "Tetris," as opposed to Tetris 2, Tetris Attack, New Tetris, etc.

• Agree 1