IGNORED

Name a video game series where you only enjoy one game in the whole series.

Lynda Monica

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

The Electronika 60 version is the original version, and that system alone is super difficult to find in working condition.

The DOS version you're linking to is a very different version, it's the version I grew up with as well, and probably the closest you'll get to an original version that was widespread and popular, so I guess it's what @Bearcat-Dougwas probably talking about? I don't understand how you'd prefer that one to any other versions though. 😄

I actually just meant regular Tetris as opposed to any of the other variations. The NES version is my favorite although I played the Game Boy game mostly as a kid.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Actually, this is stirring my curiosity.  I grew up with the DOS version but haven't played it in 30 years.  Kinda want to revisit it now.

Which one? 😄 Haha.  The Spectrum Holobyte one with the nice clean VGA graphics, or the one released by the creator of the initial DOS port from the old russian computer there I linked?  Ugly as shit, no fancy audio of any sort, but it plays as vanilla honest as you can get given the age of it pre-dating Nintendo by a 2-3 years.

That's true, but not necessarily a given. 🙂 There was actually a lot of experimentation done with the formula well before the NES version. The Atari arcade version is a pretty famous one with its challenge-based individual stages. Another one is Shimizu Tetris which itself isn't well known, especially outside Japan, but it introduced 20G gameplay which later would inspire Tetris The Grandmaster, and eventually be introduced in modern guideline games as well.

There were so many wildly different versions of Tetris made in the 80s though, it's hard to keep track of all the stuff that was going on 🙂 There was at least one of the early versions that did the whole smooth piece movement thing some of the SNES games would also get much later on, but that's a feature that always felt incredibly bad to me.

I think the NES version itself is notable for the changes it does to the randomizer, to smoothen out some of the absurd situations you'd get with "pure" randomness. Some other iterations might have done that before it, but I haven't heard of it.

Edited by Sumez

• 2 weeks later...

Uncharted 2 might be the best PlayStation 3 exclusive and I can replay that game over and over again, the other three games in the main series are either okay or down right bad.

And although it's not a "series," I have played every game from Supergiant Games, and every one of their games have been terrible except Hades. I hate the pacing and combat of Bastion, the combat in Transistor is terrible, Pyre bored me to tears; but Hades might be one of the best video games I've ever played, and easily the best Roguelike I've ever played.

• Agree 2