IGNORED

Super Jeff

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

A quick observation on the box which I'd not brought up before: Note the angles on the photos, and the fact that we only ever see the "front" and the "top". Paired with the fact that the label on the box is very clearly a sticker, I am super curious what the other sides of the box look like.

That price is insane.  I messaged the seller to send me photos of the front and back of the cart, unit and box.  No response.  Oh well.  I was hoping to have acquired a "gift" of extra info if no one here got it.  I'm assuming no one here did get it because, yikes!  Would any of you even consider paying THAT much for a broken bootleg thing?!  Super Jeff may be the greatest looking generic fake since "Obama Sonic" but nothing in this categoey is worth THAT much, IMHO!

Administrator · Posted
Just now, RpgCollector said:

I bet it gets re-listed. Bidding looks fishy.

I'm imagining that it's been shilled up considering where it landed. I imagine the "buyer" backs out and the 2nd top bidder gets contacted. That person should not pay $700 for this.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, nesmaster14 said:

That price was wild.  Hopefully it wasn't anyone here who bid that much haha, but to each his own.  A bit more info, Jeff is part South African and Korean.

The South African theory was just something I had thrown out myself, i.e. unless you have evidence supporting that it does have ties to there, it likely doesn't. 

Guys, unless another one pops up, I think it's safe to consider the Super Jeff to be an elaborate hoax. Even if the game were dumped, it could once again easily been hacked to create the hoax and yield the seller a nice payoff from literally nothing.

Some observations:

1. Thanks to what @Gloves said, I took another look and yes, it does just look like one large sticker on the box. The problem with this style is that I have never seen a Famiclone manufacturer do this, ever. And we are talking about clones coming from various countries around the world.

2. To follow up on that point, does anyone else find it to be incredibly strange that the Super Jeff shares the same mold as a rare / obscure Korean Famiclone? What's the problem with that, you might ask? The clones distributed around the world were generally derived from models made in Taiwan / China / Thailand, the three common points of manufacture. It would be like if you flipped the machine over and it said "Made in the USA" or something - i.e. possible, but very unlikely.

3. Going back to the point with the box. I don't think I have ever seen a Famiclone with a box like that, I mean to take it one step further, you can even see the damned flute sticking out clear as day! Famiclone boxes were made with cardboard generally, but this box looks to me to be a white corrugated box, with a sticker slapped on it. That definitely raises red flags in my book. 

• Wow! 2

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

Guys, unless another one pops up, I think it's safe to consider the Super Jeff to be an elaborate hoax. Even if the game were dumped, it could once again easily been hacked to create the hoax and yield the seller a nice payoff from literally nothing.

Some observations:

1. Thanks to what @Gloves said, I took another look and yes, it does just look like one large sticker on the box. The problem with this style is that I have never seen a Famiclone manufacturer do this, ever. And we are talking about clones coming from various countries around the world.

2. To follow up on that point, does anyone else find it to be incredibly strange that the Super Jeff shares the same mold as a rare / obscure Korean Famiclone? What's the problem with that, you might ask? The clones distributed around the world were generally derived from models made in Taiwan / China / Thailand, the three common points of manufacture. It would be like if you flipped the machine over and it said "Made in the USA" or something - i.e. possible, but very unlikely.

3. Going back to the point with the box. I don't think I have ever seen a Famiclone with a box like that, I mean to take it one step further, you can even see the damned flute sticking out clear as day! Famiclone boxes were made with cardboard generally, but this box looks to me to be a white corrugated box, with a sticker slapped on it. That definitely raises red flags in my book. 

It's certainly at least not very old, this is relatively verifiable by the stock photo of the boy. Someone on reddit pointed it out - the photo is a stock photo available online: https://es.dreamstime.com/foto-de-archivo-retrato-del-perfil-de-un-niño-pequeño-image64157810

• Wow! 1

Administrator · Posted

It just seems super odd still to me, like, it was on Craigslist here in (or near) Toronto. I could have been at dude's house in 20 minutes. 

A few days after reaching out with no word back and  it's in Texas, on ebay. 

So the question kinda remains, as to who put it together, and why. I'm very curious, and it'd have been a funny thing to just hold for a bit and solve what we could of the mystery, but not for hundreds of dollars. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1