IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Parodious DA!

BeaIank

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Yeah it can do that lol. 

There is an advantage playing on the avs fpga via slowdown and flicker. When I’m running on my original frontloader it’s no doubt more difficult to determine bullets visually. I also need to pick up a third speed on original hardware where as when I’m playing on the avs I never felt a need to pick up more than two.

31 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

There is an advantage playing on the avs fpga via slowdown and flicker. When I’m running on my original frontloader it’s no doubt more difficult to determine bullets visually. I also need to pick up a third speed on original hardware where as when I’m playing on the avs I never felt a need to pick up more than two.

Yeah, so many guys swear up and down that emulation, fpga and the like are "exactly the same," but that's not true for a single video game ever.  OG hardware and controls or you're a cheat...  😛

26 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, so many guys swear up and down that emulation, fpga and the like are "exactly the same," but that's not true for a single video game ever.  OG hardware and controls or you're a cheat...  😛

Og hardware for me. I am running on an everdrive because I don’t own a famicom 

Edited by docile tapeworm

The random powerups thing is so cheap and I'm not sure if it's even avoidable.  It almost always lands on "!?" losing all powerups, effectively ending the run.  My past 3 runs have ended like that.  I'm playing on "manual" firing btw.   I don't like to lookup videos or online tips unless the original manual has it, but this game was only Japanese.

*Edit I forgot this game came out in Europe too. So apparently this isn't an issue when you do "auto" mode?  🙄

https://www.thegameisafootarcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Parodius-Game-Manual.pdf

Also, the duck boss is named Crapper:

parodius_crapper.png.8c806fd5e0b6d253f7ba7914b81444cb.png

Edited by nesmaster14

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, nesmaster14 said:

The random powerups thing is so cheap and I'm not sure if it's even avoidable.  It almost always lands on "!?" losing all powerups, effectively ending the run.  My past 3 runs have ended like that.  I'm playing on "manual" firing btw.   I don't like to lookup videos or online tips unless the original manual has it, but this game was only Japanese.

*Edit I forgot this game came out in Europe too. So apparently this isn't an issue when you do "auto" mode?  🙄

https://www.thegameisafootarcade.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Parodius-Game-Manual.pdf

just avoid till u get to the coaster area when they really start.

14 minutes ago, nesmaster14 said:

It's only particular pickups that do the random slot machine; you have to memorize which enemies drop them and avoid those particular pickups and you'll be fine...

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, nesmaster14 said:

Also, the duck boss is named Crapper:

parodius_crapper.png.8c806fd5e0b6d253f7ba7914b81444cb.png

I make use of the roulette in level 1 to skip up to an extra option. With the slowdown in that area it's pretty easy for me to time it right. It's not random, it's timing. 

But yes, it landing on "!?" is definitely a reset. 

28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sorry, how is using an fpga system an advantage exactly? I'm on the Analogue NT Mini and I get killed by bullets that I couldn't see all the time. I'm not following what you guys are saying. 

Some people get a little too precious about original hardware, that's all.

gtvfg.jpg

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Sorry, how is using an fpga system an advantage exactly? I'm on the Analogue NT Mini and I get killed by bullets that I couldn't see all the time. I'm not following what you guys are saying. 

14 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Some people get a little too precious about original hardware, that's all.

I have been going back and forth using both. 
i mean I can try to word it a little differently but idk. My point is when I’m running on the avs it’s obviously a cleaner experience. The bullets are easier to determine visually (less flicker) and again on og hardware i pick up 3 speeds while running on the avs I feel comfortable with two.

i don’t care if you play on og hardware, avs, nt, use a game genie or play with your momma. I’m just saying it’s an obvious difference.

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, docile tapeworm said:

I have been going back and forth using both. 
i mean I can try to word it a little differently but idk. My point is when I’m running on the avs it’s obviously a cleaner experience. The bullets are easier to determine visually (less flicker) and again on og hardware i pick up 3 speeds while running on the avs I feel comfortable with two.

i don’t care if you play on og hardware, avs, nt, use a game genie or play with your momma. I’m just saying it’s an obvious difference.

Maybe the AVS does some flicker cleanup, it's possible maybe you can turn some feature on/off. On my NT it's definitely flickersville out here just like on a famicom. 

• Like 1