IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Parodious DA!

BeaIank

Events Helper · Posted
23 minutes ago, RH said:

I can't agree more.  I like the idea of Gradius but the slowness is soooo slow.  I do like that since there are sprite limitations, you don't just hold down the fire button or tap it like crazy, except when you are properly aligned in front of the enemy.  Much different than bullet-hell.  But, yeah... this game is soooooo slow, even with the speed power-up.  In fact, the supposed speed boost didn't feel any faster to me. 😕

speed boost is perfect at 2, you will see a difference if u get 2 trust me

i did, and i aint a shmup player lol

In all honesty, watch gloves' video for some sweet tips, it did help me out immensely.  Sometimes thinking about things from a different point of view helps out a bunch.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

There's something that clicks after a bit of bashing your head against the wall, where you realize you CAN do it and THIS NEXT TRY WILL TOTALLY BE THE ONE!

Suddenly it's 4am and your wife is leaving you cuz Parodius Da is all that matters anymore.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

There's something that clicks after a bit of bashing your head against the wall, where you realize you CAN do it and THIS NEXT TRY WILL TOTALLY BE THE ONE!

Suddenly it's 4am and your wife is leaving you cuz Parodius Da is all that matters anymore.

im actually digging some shmups now, but not my favorite genre.......

It does actually help having someone explain a few things you thought you already knew though.  But thanks again, now more money is gonna be leaving my pocket 😒

• Love 1

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

im actually digging some shmups now, but not my favorite genre.......

It does actually help having someone explain a few things you thought you already knew though.  But thanks again, now more money is gonna be leaving my pocket 😒

Suddenly, Jeevan:

image.png

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

na man, rpgs are forever my favorite, shmups are coming close second now though honestly.......or they have potential to do so.

Grow a little longer i the tooth and you’ll be like “fuck I ain’t got time for one of those stupid rpg games It’s like reading a fucking book”.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

28 minutes ago, Gloves said:

That’s how it was for me. During stinger I said to myself “fuck it I’m just going to keep playing this shit until I can do it. Fucking shit ass shooter game fuck you…” 5 days later I got a little better at the genre.

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Suddenly, Jeevan:

image.png

I hate the bullet hells I tried a few and I just can’t.

4 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

Grow a little longer i the tooth and you’ll be like “fuck I ain’t got time for one of those stupid rpg games It’s like reading a fucking book”.

You know, I like the "books" (and I will probably force myself to make my way through Front Mission 1 & 2 when they were released, and proooooobably Final Fantasy Tactics Remake if it's legit) but other than that, this is basically the conclusion of adults with children and responsibilities.  Shmups are the perfect pick-up-and-put-down game and the beautiful thing is that I found them only somewhat fun as a kid but now I have truly grown to appreciate them.  I get a new experience and a nostalgia kick playing through decades of amazing games.  IMHO, shmups are the top genre that holds up the best over the year.  Sure, pixel art from games even from 1979 may look so barebones compared to today,  but the fun factor is still just as high.  Many game genres needed a bit of maturing to really be "excellent", but shmups got it 90% right from the very early years.

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

This shmup or another one? That was quite fast to go from hating their mere existence to enjoying the genre. Sounds like an NES experience 

i was playing gradius, i find it a better genre.......its like they say, it finally clicked.......

Not that i love the genre, i still hate that i can't be consistent, but with time maybe!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jeevan said:

all im saying is that i don't loathe the genre @NESfiend, like i used to lol

I never loathed it as much as you do, but its always been toward the bottom of my genre list. Game that really turned it for me was Recca. I didnt get crazy far, but I felt it clicking and had enough success to really enjoy it. And its FAST. Huge plus for ADHD x3 me. 

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
7 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I never loathed it as much as you do, but its always been toward the bottom of my genre list. Game that really turned it for me was Recca. I didnt get crazy far, but I felt it clicking and had enough success to really enjoy it. And its FAST. Huge plus for ADHD x3 me. 

ya, i don't think it will be top genre obviously, but it is higher than racing for sure 😏

• Angry 1

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

ya, i don't think it will be top genre obviously, but it is higher than racing for sure 😏

Racing is at the top. One day this preference of mine will go from crazy to the norm, like my preference for curvy, big butted, kardashian type, etc. women went from crazy to mainstream. That day, I will have the last laugh on everyone but @PII

Dino and riki was another shooter I played like crazy. Point racking aspect made it so much more fun than typical shooters. And the vertical shooting and action aspects were awesome. Really looking forward to gun smoke

chris-farley-pissed.gif

Edited by NESfiend
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Racing is at the top. One day this preference of mine will go from crazy to the norm, like my preference for curvy, big butted, kardashian type, etc. women went from crazy to mainstream. That day, I will have the last laugh on everyone but @PII

Damn Skippy.

Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 10.05.53 PM.png

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2022 at 9:49 PM, NESfiend said:

Watched that @Jeevanvideo. You can hear the hatred and frustration in his voice before he even starts playing. Im a gradius fan, but this looks way more difficult. Need to load it up on the flash cart and get a participation score in and will at some point.

What little time I got this week will be dedicated to kung fu warm ups. Maybe i can salvage a 4th or 5th. @mbd39and @Bearcat-Dougare grinding hard enough that each is now considered to be missing persons in their respective cities

I actually haven't had a chance to practice at all this week. I might have some time today to try and knock the rust off.