IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

@nerdynebraskan Could you maybe elaborate during which parts you struggle the most? Otherwise a general piece of advice would be to use your special weapons frequently. Unlike mega Man games you have all of the necessary sub weapons from the start and you can immediately power up your shot which gives some additional abilities. For example the ice shot can be used in later stages to freeze flames coming forth. Or you could use the weapon "balls" to kill enemies that are in hard to reach places. For example, on the second screen or so there should already be an enemy that is up on a ledge. If you stand in the right position you can kill it easily without getting hurt. The balls also allow you to circumvent barrieres that some enemies use.

However, the most important weapon in the game is actually the broom. You use this one by shooting and thus spawning a broom. You stand on it and then face left, right or up and if you shoot in said direction, the broom will immediately fly in that direction. So if there are deadly pits or lots of pikes that would kill you immediately, you can fly over them relatively safely with your broom. The annoying part about this is that enemies keep flying at you from left or right. You can somewhat avoid them by ducking and constantly shooting while flying. If you hit the right spot in certain locations you can fly through almost entire rooms while just ducking and shooting.

Then there is also a lot of pattern recognition. Learn how the enemies move and attack and don't forget, that you can shoot above you as well. There are some enemies that fly far above you, pass you and then dive at you from behind. Here it can be useful to dispatch them while they're flying above you. Sometimes it can also be useful to load your standard weapon in advance to quickly shoot at oncoming enemies. This even works when moving from one screen to another.

Once you've learned the levels, you have to try and get through them while taking as little damage as possible. After all, you don't recover hit points after finishing a level, only after beating a boss.

Anyway, let me know if this helped at least somewhat or if there's maybe something more concrete that I can help with.

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

It's been a couple of years since I really tried the Krion Conquest (KC), so I'm a little bit hazy on it. But given how much Mega Man (MM) I've played, KC's similarities to Mega Man make it attractive to me.

I want to say that the special energy for subweapons seems to burn up faster in KC than MM, and crystals to recharge that special energy are far more scarce as well. It kind of discourages me from experimenting with the sub weapons. I remember those enemies in the corners very early on and angling shots off the wall with the "Ball" weapon to kill them. Many of the enemies in that game seem to take a lot of shots to bring down, even with special weapons. And maybe my extreme familiarity with the NES MM games works against me, too, because I can beat most of them without using the subweapons except on the select Wily castle bosses that are immune to the pea shooter. On some level, I'm probably just trying too hard to "get good" at KC by trying to kill almost everything with the base weapon.

I also remember the broom being really hard to control. Doesn't it disappear if you jump? That's seriously counterintuitive after how much Mega Man 3-4-5 I've played. I jump over incoming enemies all the time while I'm riding the Rush Jet. I seem to remember trying that with the awkward enemies in KC and just falling to my death on spikes over and over.

It's been a year or two for me but my experience was similar to Nerdy's. I think I beat one or two bosses in KC and gave up because the controls/weapons weren't as intuitive as Mega man. I just couldn't get it down and died a bunch of times on random crap which felt like control/design issues, like respawning enemies in annoying places where I needed to change weapons, or running out of ammo just dealing with respawning enemies.

As an aside, I found Whomp-em to be a better clone of MM, though still quite flawed.

Beating Magical Doropie was the necessary precondition for me to beat Krion Conquest last year. There's a rumor that the localization was based on an earlier version of the ROM, as even if you set aside the issues with no continues and cut content, some stuff in Magical Doropie just works better. Hitboxes feel more natural, item drop rates are better-balanced and more like Mega Man, etc.

Also the first endboss in Magical Doropie has a reasonable health bar, but becomes a ridiculous damage sponge in KC.

So I haven't mentioned it yet, but I've been working on Spiritual Warfare for the last few days.  Progress is being made, I have acquired the Boots, so I'm pretty sure that's about the half-way point, give or take.  Should have it done this weekend sometime.

Aside from that, I'm not sure what I feel like firing up next.  I have a few bugbears to slay this year - games I came ever so close to beating but for one reason or another I hadn't finished.  Such games include:

Nightshade - An old rental store pickup I got in either grade 8 or 9.  Got as far as the end boss, and couldn't figure out how to use the staff.  The game then taunted me on the game over screen by telling me I had completed 99% of the game.  Pissed me off so bad I haven't played it since.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - A few years back I made a concerted effort to beat this, only to be stymied by the Judge Doom fight.  Gave up after around a week of attempting to beat him.  Really should get back to it.

L'Empereur - Got down to myself, Russia (in one city), and England (isolated on the island).  Then my save corrupted, causing me to lose the file.  One of only two Koei games I haven't yet knocked off, and the only one I'm actually interested in playing 😛

The Mafat Conspiracy - Another late '90s rental store purchase.  I actually got pretty far into it...I wanna say it was the final level, but I can't recall offhand.  Suffice to say, I would like to knock it off at some point to kill off another childhood game.

Metal Mech - Fired it up on a lark maybe 15 years ago.  Got to level 4 without knowing what the hell I was doing.  Like the game, but I haven't really revisited it since then.

But then, I've also slain a few bugbears already just in the last couple weeks.  Captain America, Platoon, and Ghost Lion are all games I had played at various points in the last 30 years and finally got around to beating them.  And Pool of Radiance was another that I had put some time into but never enough to progress far.  So 2022 is off to a roaring start...just not sure where to go next...after all, even if I don't beat any of the listed games, there's still a ton of great games up on the board...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

Also congrats to @scaryiceon getting Qix done, on apparently only two tries. I played it for about an hour a couple of days ago and couldn't get closer than about 70000 points. 

Nah, it took me way more than two. I just came back to it after taking a break. I think the best strat is just to reset until you get a ton of bonus points in the first two levels.

I don't think that sub weapons even have energy in Krion Conquest. The only sub weapon that uses energy is the fire weapon and that one instead just drains half of your health. Besides, the only ones that I found to be actually useful are the balls and the broom. Ice only really helped in one or two levels where you could freeze the flames.

And yes, the broom disappears after jumping which can be really annoying. That's why adopted the strategy of ducking down and constantly shooting in front of me. If you hit the right height, then you can easily shoot down enemies.

But yeah, I'm not trying to defend this game. It's really rough around the edges or janky or whatever you wanna call it. It took me a lot of time to beat it the first time around a few years back and then I always need a bit of time to get into it again.

I just whooped Satan's ass and knocked out Spiritual Warfare.  That's a three-game day, for the first time since... *checks records* ...October 16, 2016, when I knocked off Darkman, Pictionary, and Rollerblade Racer in one day.  Damn, it's been ages!  I believe that's the last of the Wisdom Tree games on our list...although I still need to do the Crystal Mines knockoffs for my personal list...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, scaryice said:

Thanks for the analysis. I believe the logic behind saying "play the later scenario" was just to let people know they didn't need to play through everything to get the ending. Of course they could go through all of them if they wanted to.

I think in Nobunaga it might be okay for just beat the 17 fief scenario, if I'm remembering @Daniel_Doyce's argument correctly.

Both the 17 and 50 give the same ending screen. As long as you're playing it, may as well man up and conquer all of Japan though 🙂

Regarding the other winning conditions, I think it was generally understood that the various scenarios all give the same ending screen so no one felt a need to explicitly point it out before.

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 299/677 (bonus games - 36/100)

I haven't played some NES in a while, so maybe i'll knock of some ones I find easy.  I'm gonna go for these tonight depending how long it would take.  These all should be beaten within one try.

5 Barbie
5 Batman: Return of the Joker
4 Bionic Commando
3 Bucky O'Hare
3 Cliffhanger
6 Dick Tracy
4 Die Hard
3 Karate Kid
7 Knight Rider
4 Last Action Hero
5 Maniac Mansion
4 Swamp Thing