IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Two near-misses tonight: I won the first match against the CPU on Level 5 of Tennis, 7-6(5) 7-6(3), but lost the rematch. Then I decided to play Sky Kid for the hell of it, and made it to Level 25 for the first time!

I'll probably give them both another shot in the coming days, unless someone else gets to Tennis first. Sky Kid's on my to-beat list, though.

Edited by bronzeshield

12 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for uploading so many quality videos about NES games to YouTube. I went through the library late last year to see if I overlooked any interesting games, and your videos were incredibly helpful throughout that process. Glad to see you're on VGS!

Thank you kindly!

I definitely haven't been around much like I used to be but I will keep an eye on the effort here and contribute as it lines up with what I'm doing

27 minutes ago, PII said:

Any good strategies / tips?

I've been interested in this one since the heyday when I had a friend who played it a lot, but have only just sampled it myself...

Do you struggle with anything in particular?

I might be a bit desensitized, because I grew up with the game, but I find the game really easy. It is something of a button-masher, and machine-gun punching with Godzilla will get you pretty far. There are certain enemies and destructible objects in the stages that very reliably drop lots of health power-ups.

The most dangerous part of the whole game isn't any of the bosses. It's this one invincible enemy that's probably supposed to be some kind of rocket or rocketship, but it looks like a giant kidney bean to me. If you can't dodge them with any regularity, at least get in the habit of pushing yourself back to the far left of the screen every time it shows up, because it will drag you backwards and do massive damage while it makes contact with you. One of those can single-handedly kill you even at a high level if you let it maintain contact with you for about five seconds. You can also just use Big G's atomic breath and push yourself past it, if you have enough energy to do so.

And you'll probably want to be at full strength (Level 16) with Big G before fighting King Ghidorah at the end of Planet X. He's got an annoying habit of just pinning you to the left side of the screen; you won't be able to do anything, and you'll take continuous damage. Gezora likes to pin you too, but he doesn't inflict damage while pinning you. Gigan will also pin you and inflict damage, but doesn't do it nearly as often or for as long as Ghidorah will. But if you're at level 16, you make liberal use of the atomic breath, and Ghidorah just doesn't cheat too much, you can put him down fairly easily.

• Thanks 1

@nerdynebraskan

I've played it very little, but it's always struck me as an odd and rather difficult game.  I recall my old friend always using a NES Advantage to play this.  While I usually prefer to go into a game cold, this seemed like a good opportunity to pick an experienced brain...  ...One of these days I'll get serious about it.

Just now, PII said:

@nerdynebraskan

I've played it very little, but it's always struck me as an odd and rather difficult game.  I recall my old friend always using a NES Advantage to play this.  While I usually prefer to go into a game cold, this seemed like a good opportunity to pick an experienced brain...  ...One of these days I'll get serious about it.

I could see why your friend would like using the Advantage, since there's a lot of button mashing to put those bosses down, but it's not outrageous, especially since I'm not a champion button-masher and I don't find the game tough.

I played more heavily with Mothra when I was a young boy playing this, but I'd much rather be Godzilla playing it as an adult. The game can sometimes glitch a bit when there's too many sprites on screen, and it seems like Mothra's attacks (being projectiles and thus being drawn as sprites) can sometimes disappear when the screen is overly crowded with stuff. It's just added aggravation that I'd rather not deal with. Godzilla's fists have little range, but they get the job done.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 223/677 (bonus games - 30/100)
8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Chipping away at AD&D Pool of Radiance.  Kind of a lacklustre port of the game, but at the same time it's pretty impressive that they managed to get it onto a cart like they did.

I haven't played any of the other ports of the game, but I played it for this thread last year or the year before and I really enjoyed it.

3 hours ago, Khromak said:

I haven't played any of the other ports of the game, but I played it for this thread last year or the year before and I really enjoyed it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thoroughly enjoying it, but it is pretty lacklustre compared to the PC and C64 versions.  Just about to do the quest to purify the Temple of Bane.  I like how the game flows, with the missions being somewhat open-ended in your approach to them.  Definitely captures the feel of the pen-and-paper game.