IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Started work on Pirates this morning.  Having a good first voyage.  Rescued my sister, found the Incan treasure she pointed me to (some lucky sailing spotted the location), got two buried pirate treasures, and robbed both the Silver Train and the Treasure Fleet.  Hoping to be able to at least find my father before divvying up the plunder for the first time.

1 hour ago, guitarzombie said:

Finished off Knight Rider.  Yeesh my NES is just cursed today.  EVERY game has been a struggle or harder than its ever been before.  I think I'll try a couple of more.

Hey @scaryice has there been anyone who's beat one game more over the years than I have with Knight Rider?  Haha

It's normal to struggle coming back to a game after a long time. Of course, I usually don't post about it though. For example, last week I played Gradius for an hour and both runs ended in the final stage, which was frustrating.

It looks like this is your 7th time beating Knight Rider. I've beaten Amagon 11 years in a row now - that's the only game to be beaten by the same person every year. There's a number of easier games which have been beaten by myself or nerdynebraskan more than that also.

21 minutes ago, scaryice said:

It's normal to struggle coming back to a game after a long time. Of course, I usually don't post about it though. For example, last week I played Gradius for an hour and both runs ended in the final stage, which was frustrating.

It wasn't even my play, it was some of the randomness I was getting in the game.  Like in Die Hard, or Karate Kid being ping-ponged between 2 enemies often.  That NEVER happens.  One of the games ALL the mini games I got was the swinging hammer!  Like 5 or 6 times.  Incredibly I actually got a perfect on one for the first time, in maybe recorded history haha.  

Also beat Waynes World.

I threw it in after having trouble with it earlier.  Its such a stupidly short game.  The 2nd to last level has some REALLY annoying platforming but I was able to beat it with 0 lives left and 2 ticks of health.  Was able to kick the boss 20+ times perfectly without getting hit.  Thats the rush I miss from playing these things!

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 315/677 (bonus games - 37/100)

Finished off another childhood favorite of mine, Dick Tracy.  Another game I struggled with today.  I think my D-pad isn't that sensitive and needs come cleaning.

Anyway, nice little tip here.  In the game you can't shoot unarmed people or you take a shield (or half?) of damage.  Well it doesn't matter when you're fighting Big Boy at the end.  You'll do more damage to him than you can take if you have more than 2 shields.  So get near him and tommy gun him to death.

OH!  I didn't even notice there were bonus games!  I have these that i've beaten:

PAL Hammerin' Harry
PAL Mr. Gimmick
PAL New Ghostbusters II
PAL Over Horizon
PAL Parodius Da
PAL Super Turrican
Famicom Crisis Force
Hack Rockman 4 Minus Infinity

Let me ask.  Do I need the good ending for Gimmick?  I was gonna do Swamp Thing later but Harry, New GB II and Super Turrican should be really easy.  Gimmick I have to get comfortable with again for the good ending.

18 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

OH!  I didn't even notice there were bonus games!  I have these that i've beaten:

PAL Hammerin' Harry
PAL Mr. Gimmick
PAL New Ghostbusters II
PAL Over Horizon
PAL Parodius Da
PAL Super Turrican
Famicom Crisis Force
Hack Rockman 4 Minus Infinity

Let me ask.  Do I need the good ending for Gimmick?  I was gonna do Swamp Thing later but Harry, New GB II and Super Turrican should be really easy.  Gimmick I have to get comfortable with again for the good ending.

Ive been working on new ghostbusters 2 and have been having trouble with the second to last boss (end of blue area). Planning to try again tonight

23 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

In years past we required it, but since then I allowed the bad ending for Mighty Bomb Jack, so I'm inclined to say that this time you don't need the best Gimmick ending. I think it's fair to call them the "normal" and "best" endings, rather than a bad one, actually. Although, I don't think you get a "The End" message for the easier one, you still get credits either way, so it seems fine to count it.

• Like 1

Anyone who's previously knocked off Pirates have any tips on getting the top rank?  I've rescued my family, married the best woman I could find (not the best overall, but I figured it was better to have one than not, since none of the friendly governors had the best daughter), and am on my fifth expedition with not a whole hell of a lot to do, yet my rank is still pretty low all things considered.  Might take a few more attempts to nail it down...

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

Ive been working on new ghostbusters 2 and have been having trouble with the second to last boss (end of blue area). Planning to try again tonight

Ok, i'll leave that one to you.  Its a great, fun game.

Alright I'll work on Hammerin Harry, Turrican and Gimmick as those are some of my favorites.  The others i'll do later if i'm still in the mood.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Anyone who's previously knocked off Pirates have any tips on getting the top rank?  I've rescued my family, married the best woman I could find (not the best overall, but I figured it was better to have one than not, since none of the friendly governors had the best daughter), and am on my fifth expedition with not a whole hell of a lot to do, yet my rank is still pretty low all things considered.  Might take a few more attempts to nail it down...

I think @Daniel_Doyce posted about this when he played through the game last year. 

32 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Ok, i'll leave that one to you.  Its a great, fun game.

Alright I'll work on Hammerin Harry, Turrican and Gimmick as those are some of my favorites.  The others i'll do later if i'm still in the mood.

I saw you mention Rockman 4 Minus Infinity in a previous post. I'd love a chance to knock that one off in the next couple of weeks, as I've had a repro cart for years and only cleared a couple of stages before.

46 minutes ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I saw you mention Rockman 4 Minus Infinity in a previous post. I'd love a chance to knock that one off in the next couple of weeks, as I've had a repro cart for years and only cleared a couple of stages before.

Yeah sure.  Its got so much fun great stuff in it.  You have a famicom repro cart?  Thats what I got as well.

Finished off Hammerin Harry and probably the worst game of Mr. Gimmick I ever played, but I got the normal ending.

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I think @Daniel_Doyce posted about this when he played through the game last year. 

It was for the 2020 competition, and I vowed never to play it again 🙂 I think it will be hard to get a 100 score without marrying the "best" wife. I used the FAQ, which was extremely detailed and laid out what you need to accomplish to get the highest rank.

38 minutes ago, Daniel_Doyce said:

It was for the 2020 competition, and I vowed never to play it again 🙂 I think it will be hard to get a 100 score without marrying the "best" wife. I used the FAQ, which was extremely detailed and laid out what you need to accomplish to get the highest rank.

Well, I started a new career, on the first scenario, as a Brit.  Although there's fewer ports, the Englishman starts as a Captain.  I then got a few small cities for each of the non-Spanish countries and have ranks with all three.  Upon completing my first expedition, I managed to rescue my sister, gain a shitton of ranks and land, and a nice little bankroll (three Silver Trains and a Treasure Fleet!).  I retired and got 79/100, which is higher than the rank I got on my original save despite having more money, my entire family, and a wife.  I think the fact was that the French and Dutch seemed to ally with Spain in the later scenarios, preventing me from gaining rank with them, but the earlier scenarios they don't do it as much, meaning I can rank up with impunity.  I have a good feeling about this run...but my thumbs are aching from all the damn fencing I've been doing the last two days, so I'm taking a break 😛

• Like 1