IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

The Jungle Book is beaten.

First time clear for me. Was hoping it was a 9 due to obscurity more so than difficulty/annoyance. Nope. It’s way, way more difficult/annoying than it needs to be. Fortunately extra lives and continues are plentiful.

Graphics and sound are really nice. They cover the source material very well. This game is just a slog play control-wise. Detection for grabbing certain vines is highly suspect. A lot of blind leaps of faith. 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2022 at 11:19 PM, bronzeshield said:

Two near-misses tonight: I won the first match against the CPU on Level 5 of Tennis, 7-6(5) 7-6(3), but lost the rematch. Then I decided to play Sky Kid for the hell of it, and made it to Level 25 for the first time!

I'll probably give them both another shot in the coming days, unless someone else gets to Tennis first. Sky Kid's on my to-beat list, though.

I did Tennis last year, but the rules say you can beat it on any difficulty if you still want to finish it.

Air Fortress is coming along.  Spoke too soon about how easy it was, as the difficulty has jumped a fair bit now, but I've knocked off fortresses four and five, so progress is being made.  @Dr. Morbis was telling me earlier how the difficulty spikes hard for the seventh and eighth, but then drops back down to a manageable level once you get through them, so I know I have even more of a challenge ahead of me at this point, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.  I've been collecting for 25 years now, and nobody talks about the game at all...if there's such thing as a hidden gem on the NES these days, Air Fortress is definitely on that list!

• Like 1

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 252/677 (bonus games - 33/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 254/677 (bonus games - 33/100)
14 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

@Dr. Morbis was telling me earlier how the difficulty spikes hard for the seventh and eighth, but then drops back down to a manageable level once you get through them, so I know I have even more of a challenge ahead of me at this point, but I'm thoroughly enjoying the game.

Yeah, for some reason the 8th fortress of the first quest is way more difficult than the 8th fortress of the second quest, but it's definitely a cool little game, and I love the music!

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, for some reason the 8th fortress of the first quest is way more difficult than the 8th fortress of the second quest, but it's definitely a cool little game, and I love the music!

Yeah, it's weird, you'd think the only three tunes in the game would get grating after a while, but I actually really dig it.

Anyway, knocked off #6, which was the toughest one yet.  I had the path perfect, and no issues aside from the timing...then I watched a longplay that showed the dude using the kickback from his gun to move faster than normal walking/floating does.  Still took a couple runs to get the tactics down, but I finally made it out...barely.  Holy crap, there's almost no room for error at this point, and I think the only reason I survived was because I fully cleared my route beforehand.  I'm starting to see why it's listed as a 10 😛

19 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I did Tennis last year, but the rules say you can beat it on any difficulty if you still want to finish it.

Oh, I know, but I loathe that game and have a longstanding grudge against it. So I don't just want to beat it on a lower level -- I want to rub its face in the dirt, take away its lunch money, etc.

And speaking of which, Tennis is now done:

Tennis_2022-01-16_a.jpeg.730324ed139c344ef48b610deb00e460.jpeg

Tennis_2022-01-16_b.jpeg.fa4c170647a0ef457c17523737ab825a.jpeg

Beat the first Level 5 opponent 7-5 6-1, and the second one 6-1 6-4. I'm still not 100% sure about the relationship between my controller inputs and the onscreen character's shot selection, but with enough passing shots, it doesn't matter.

I hate the CPU in this game. Any tennis game where the CPU never hits anything out is fundamentally flawed in a deep way -- there has to be a relationship between shot selection, risk, and court placement that results in errors. At least it double faults or hits volleys into the net sometimes.

Monty on the run is beaten. It was a reasonably fun game, but suffers from a worse version of legend of zelda syndrome. I think they designed this game with the intention that kids would be sharing secrets on the bus, because trying to find all the puzzle pieces by yourself would be infuriating. 

In the end I used a guide for most of the pieces, but still found the gameplay enjoyable. I beat it once but failed to do the puzzle in time, and of course i hadn't saved, so I got sent back to the beginning. 

MontyOnTheRun.jpg