IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

So I just discovered something in Metal Max...there are actually two different endings.  The good one comes when you play through the entire game, save the world, and go to your father to retire.  However, since that option exists at the start of the game, curiosity got the best of me, and I tried retiring early.  That led to the bad ending.  I'm not counting it as a personal completion getting that ending, but since it's an actual end sequence that differs from the good ending, I figured I'd mention it.  So Metal Max is either done or still a work in progress, whatever is decided...but either ending gives a full credit roll, so it fits the definition required for this thread.

1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

So I just discovered something in Metal Max...there are actually two different endings.  The good one comes when you play through the entire game, save the world, and go to your father to retire.  However, since that option exists at the start of the game, curiosity got the best of me, and I tried retiring early.  That led to the bad ending.  I'm not counting it as a personal completion getting that ending, but since it's an actual end sequence that differs from the good ending, I figured I'd mention it.  So Metal Max is either done or still a work in progress, whatever is decided...but either ending gives a full credit roll, so it fits the definition required for this thread.

I'm guessing the good ending will be required here, then. The closest precedent for a game like that to my mind is Pirates!, where you can theoretically end your game at any time for some kind of ending.  As such, the rules here tend to require the outrageously-hard best ending.

I'd like to ask again about the requirements for Road Runner. I got two opinions last time, but I'm having trouble finding information online. My best understanding is that the game only has four unique levels, which repeat forever at higher difficulties. After the first loop, the stages start having landmines in them.

There only seems to be one long-play of the game on YouTube, which shows the player tackling 21 stages of the game. He apparently played 26 levels, and then killed himself on purpose to end it (per the uploader's comments in the comments section). But for whatever reason, he stopped his video after Stage 21 and spliced in the Game Over screen, which probably explains why someone here said the game ends after Stage 21.

Has anyone here actually played more than 21 stages of Road Runner before?

Baseball Stars is done. I won all three games in a 3-game league. Very, very interesting and deep baseball game. Although the base running could be better and there were points where the game auto-selected the wrong fielder as I was chasing the ball, I can see why people say it's one of the best baseball games on the NES. I'll have to put more time into it one of these days.

1Ns54a9m.jpg

Edited by Philosoraptor

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 187/677 (bonus games - 24/100)

Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle and Friends is done. I forgot just how much I hated this game, but the 8 points for a short game were too tempting. However, I the controls are just so bad and some of the jumps really difficult, so that it took me longer than I thought it would. Also, there is a stair in a later level that you have to walk down very carefully and with the right button presses otherwise it counts as a death and you have to do the whole level over again. This game is plain horrible and the pathetic ending screen adds insult to injury.

Adventures of Rocky.jpg

Edited by Gaia Gensouki

10 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'd like to ask again about the requirements for Road Runner. I got two opinions last time, but I'm having trouble finding information online. My best understanding is that the game only has four unique levels, which repeat forever at higher difficulties. After the first loop, the stages start having landmines in them.

That matches what AdamL writes about it. As far as I can tell it looks like either reaching Level 5, or getting top score on the high score table (i.e. over 200k), would be the way to go.

I can't remember how far I played into it as a kid, but I think I made the double-digits before it became clear this was one of "those" games, like Magmax, Seicross, etc. Annoying that they couldn't just give it an ending!

On 1/9/2022 at 10:07 AM, mbd39 said:

I just looked it up and apparently you get B&W ending if you use attack & assail on the final boss.

Interesting. I’ve beaten this game probably a dozen times so I’m sure I’ve finished it with A&A before, but this is the first time I’ve seen the B&W ending. 

This game will always be an enigma.

I decided to take a look through my stack of FDS games to see which of the list I already owned and consider picking up the rest, to bolster my relatively minimal FDS collection.

Turns out I own 5/10, which is pretty good! I picked up this whole set as part of a bundle for a steal a few years back, this guy obviously had great taste.

I'll probably pick up the other 5 if I can fit it in my budget some time soon, looks like they're about $200 complete, which isn't too bad.

As another aside, I'll probably be working on all the DW games. Feel free to tell me if anyone wants to do any of them, but if not I love them all so don't mind putting in the time.

• Like 1