IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

23 hours ago, nerdynebraskan said:

I'd like to ask again about the requirements for Road Runner. I got two opinions last time, but I'm having trouble finding information online. My best understanding is that the game only has four unique levels, which repeat forever at higher difficulties. After the first loop, the stages start having landmines in them.

I believe we just required beating the first four levels in previous years, so I guess that's fine.

34 minutes ago, scaryice said:

I believe we just required beating the first four levels in previous years, so I guess that's fine.

If that's the case I beat Roadrunner a few times in the last week (including beating the high score.)

...I had been trying to clear 21 levels or 5 play-throughs + a level, as the "terrain" continues to change with each loop....

Edited by PII

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 204/677 (bonus games - 27/100)
8 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Metal Max is done.  Man, that was a hell of a game!  Highly recommend it to anyone who's into RPGs.

Glad to see this! I put it on the list because I enjoyed it quite a bit too. When it comes to Famicom-only jrpgs, I always see Sweet Home and Lagrange Point mentioned. But I thought Metal Max was better than both of them. It's kind of unbalanced in some ways, but still very unique for the time.

3 hours ago, scaryice said:

Glad to see this! I put it on the list because I enjoyed it quite a bit too. When it comes to Famicom-only jrpgs, I always see Sweet Home and Lagrange Point mentioned. But I thought Metal Max was better than both of them. It's kind of unbalanced in some ways, but still very unique for the time.

12 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

Metal Max is done.  Man, that was a hell of a game!  Highly recommend it to anyone who's into RPGs.

This is one of the games in my backlog, but I have Metal Max Returns on the SFC, not the FC Metal Max. Y'all's recommendations make me want to play it sooner. According to the wiki, "it is a remake of the original NES Metal Max, featuring improved graphics and sound, revised areas, references to Metal Max 2, and decreased difficulty. It also contains many elements that were later found in Metal Saga on the PS2."

We did get an English release of Metal Saga on the PS2, but I honestly had no clue it was related to Metal Max. So that one gets more priority in the backlog, too. I'm learnin' stuff today!

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1

Space Shuttle Project is done.  Surprisingly easy to be honest, it's pretty much just a shitton of quicktime events with a couple of too-easy arcade sequences thrown in for flavour.  Honestly, the worst part was the takeoff, and even that was only an issue for the last two stages...the rest of the game was just a battle of attrition.

Kirby's Adventure is done. First time playing it, and I'll say it was pretty good. Some BS moments here and there, but definitely one of the better platformers on the NES. I was surprised at how many powers Kirby could actually get. I was expecting 6 tops, but there were well over 10.

Edited by Philosoraptor

3 hours ago, arnpoly said:

Hi Everyone!

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for uploading so many quality videos about NES games to YouTube. I went through the library late last year to see if I overlooked any interesting games, and your videos were incredibly helpful throughout that process. Glad to see you're on VGS!

• Love 1

8 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

This is one of the games in my backlog, but I have Metal Max Returns on the SFC, not the FC Metal Max. Y'all's recommendations make me want to play it sooner. According to the wiki, "it is a remake of the original NES Metal Max, featuring improved graphics and sound, revised areas, references to Metal Max 2, and decreased difficulty. It also contains many elements that were later found in Metal Saga on the PS2."

We did get an English release of Metal Saga on the PS2, but I honestly had no clue it was related to Metal Max. So that one gets more priority in the backlog, too. I'm learnin' stuff today!

Metal Saga is very similar to Metal Max, although it's much less linear. I actually played that one for 5-10 hours without gaining a single level, just exploring everywhere and running from everything. I'd say it's a better game overall than Metal Max on the Famicom. Haven't played the SNES ones yet. I did play Metal Max Xeno, which is not recommended.

• Thanks 1