IGNORED

NES Completions thread 2022 - 564/677 (bonus games - 83/100)

scaryice

Well, I'm done my solo White Mage w/no class change challenge, so Final Fantasy is done, if no one else has beaten it yet.  And now for the story no one is going to believe:

So I had Chaos down to about his last 500 HP when he SLO2'd me and then on his next turn CUR4'd himself, so at this point it was a total lost cause.  So I did what any dying Light Warrior would do with his last breath: I pulled out my Bane Sword and went for the 1 in 201 chance of one-shotting a now fully healed Chaos with Poison Smoke..... AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!!!  I have no video or any sort of proof, so if no one believes me, that's totally fine, but I'll always have the memory of dropping my controller and falling forward out of my chair in complete and utter disbelief.  This is my favourite RPG of all time and I've beaten it countless times in countless configurations, but this was a new one, even for me...

So TLDR:  Final Fantasy is done.

FF Solo WM.JPG

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Wow! 5

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well, I'm done my solo White Mage w/no class change challenge, so Final Fantasy is done, if no one else has beat it yet.  And now for the story no one is going to believe:

So I had Chaos down to about his last 500 HP when he SLO2'd me and then on his next turn CUR4'd himself, so at this point it was a total lost cause.  So I did what any dying Light Warrior would do with his last breath: I pulled out my Bane Sword and went for the 1 in 201 chance of one-shotting a now fully healed Chaos with Poison Smoke..... AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!!!  I have no video or any sort of proof, so if no one believes me, that's totally okay, but I'll always have the memory of dropping my controller and falling forward out of my chair in complete and utter disbelief.  This is my favourite RPG of all time and I've beaten it countless times in countless configurations, but this was a new one, even for me...

Damn Ron Simmons GIFs | Tenor

5 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Nope. I only got as far as the fourth track and wasn't planning on picking it back up today; I'm playing something else. I'm honestly relieved you beat it. I was starting to not have fun with it.

Excitebike is one of my favorite games, but Track 5 does seem to be quite a bit tougher than the rest. 

Milon's Secret Castle  

Didn't quite No-Death this time.  I actually had to beat all 4 Maharitos for the first time, I think.

Anomalous Observation: The 1st Nighttime outside the castle passed in a flash, then returned in a matter of a few to several seconds at most and remained for nearly the entire game until I ran into some bad luck on the penultimate boss for a death...

Edited by PII

39 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Excitebike is one of my favorite games, but Track 5 does seem to be quite a bit tougher than the rest. 

Truly. I'm excited I beat all the tracks on Selection A. That's a personal W.

The opposing riders in Selection B make me want to throw my controller through the wall.

6 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Well, I'm done my solo White Mage w/no class change challenge, so Final Fantasy is done, if no one else has beaten it yet.  And now for the story no one is going to believe:

So I had Chaos down to about his last 500 HP when he SLO2'd me and then on his next turn CUR4'd himself, so at this point it was a total lost cause.  So I did what any dying Light Warrior would do with his last breath: I pulled out my Bane Sword and went for the 1 in 201 chance of one-shotting a now fully healed Chaos with Poison Smoke..... AND IT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!!!  I have no video or any sort of proof, so if no one believes me, that's totally fine, but I'll always have the memory of dropping my controller and falling forward out of my chair in complete and utter disbelief.  This is my favourite RPG of all time and I've beaten it countless times in countless configurations, but this was a new one, even for me...

That is great, I love it! It looks like the odds are actually 3/256 = 1.17%. So 1 out of every 85 chances, basically.

https://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/FinalFantasy1#Bane

Edited by scaryice

• The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 164/677 (bonus games - 23/100)
  • The title was changed to NES Completions thread 2022 - 166/677 (bonus games - 23/100)

Just beat Toki. A decent-ish game with nice graphics and a moderate difficulty. However, the last level with it's mine cart segments was fairly annoying since you have to get used to that right away and every miss results in a death, which eventually caused my first and only game over. Unfortunately, all my life power-ups were lost after that so that the final boss ended up being a lot more difficult than it should have been.

Toki.jpg

Pin Bot is done with a score of 10,939,550, all on the first table. Thank you vortexes! That ball-eating monster kept ruining my run, but I figured out how to avoid moving onto the second table after a while (don't hit the vortex when in multiball mode). 

Rare did a great job with this one, for sure.

cleOfmNm.jpg

Edited by Philosoraptor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, scaryice said:

That is great, I love it! It looks like the odds are actually 3/256 = 1.17%. So 1 out of every 85 chances, basically.

https://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/FinalFantasy1#Bane

Wow, I was going based on the 0 - 200 roll range, but I guess things can never be that simple when you're dealing with bugged code from 1987.  It looks like those TAS guys have it down to an absolute science, though...

EDIT: Actually, I just read the last sentence of the BANE section, and it says this: "If we look more specifically at a fight with one living hero in slot 1 vs a poison-immune boss, there is only 1 possible starting seed that will allow the hero to go first and succeed."  Since I went first on the round that I killed Chaos, this means I actually hit on a 1 in 256 !!!

Edited by Dr. Morbis