IGNORED

Movie Debate #98: Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • You haven't seen the movie, but you're interested in watching it.
    • You have no interest in watching it.

Events Team · Posted

May be my favorite toon feature of all time.  Certainly the movie I've seen the most in the theater at 7 viewings.  Fantastic animation from the pinnacle of the hand-drawn cel era and a technical marvel.  It's damn fine noir cinema in its own right and an unofficial conclusion to (as well as a satire of) the Chinatown/Two Jakes story arc.  Straight 10.

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

Events Team · Posted

Minor spoilers for anyone who hasn't seen the movie, but this scene never fails to get me choked up. The music, the cinematography, the acting, everything about this scene is absolutely on point to deliver an emotional gut punch.

Having a step-brother who passed away when I was very young myself, I've definitely had a few moments like this while thinking about him. I only have a few memories of him, but they're memories I'll hold on to forever.

• Like 3

8/10, but really bordering on 9/10 if only for how unique it is. It's one of those movie experiences you can't get anywhere else, and a fantastic showcase of Zemeckis when he was at his absolute best.

Even as a kid I thought the movie was probably just some stupid cartoon fanservice thing that wasn't really interesting as its own thing, so I never watched it until I was an adult, which is when I found out how wrong I was. It's just really entertaining, and the animation is just damn smooth and super well done, especially for late 80s american cartoons.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
On 11/29/2021 at 12:39 AM, Sumez said:

8/10, but really bordering on 9/10 if only for how unique it is. It's one of those movie experiences you can't get anywhere else, and a fantastic showcase of Zemeckis when he was at his absolute best.

Even as a kid I thought the movie was probably just some stupid cartoon fanservice thing that wasn't really interesting as its own thing, so I never watched it until I was an adult, which is when I found out how wrong I was. It's just really entertaining, and the animation is just damn smooth and super well done, especially for late 80s american cartoons.

Agreed with it being an 8 bordering on a 9, I almost did give it a 9. So I guess if the rating was more granular it'd be an 8.5 from me? Haha.

I actually saw the movie as a kid and loved it just as much then as I do now.

• Like 1

In case anyone is curious why I've never seen this and why I'm NOT interested in seeing it.  Here are my reasons.

1. As a kid, I found the character of Roger Rabbit to be irksome.  I just didn't like the sound of his voice and something about him was 100% unappealing.  I never wanted to give it a chance.
  2. This was a noir/mystery type of movie.  As a kid, those films, along with westerns, were the least appealing to me.  So, I knew the story was of no interest as well.
  3. The biggest issue might be that as a kid we had Honey, I Shrunk The Kids on VHS and there was a Roger Rabbit short at the beginning.   Not only did I not like RR, but I also didn't like Baby Herman so this made the chances of me ever wanting to like RR very slim.  Pair that with the fact that HISTKs was viewed many, many, maaaaaany times because one of my siblings has mental health issues and that film was one of two movies for most of their younger childhood that would help calm them down.  Since this sibling would watch the entire VHS start-to-finish, once (and some times twice) a day for literal years, I have a traumatic association with the characters as well as the rest of that VHS.

Anyway, since I've grown up I've gained an interest in old school practical effects, and I've seen shows that have put a spotlight on Roger Rabbit.  It seems like an amazing piece of work and I have a lot of respect for the artistry and engineering that's was put into it.  That said, I think I've seen all I care to see and have enjoyed all that I think I might enjoy from this film.

Ergo, I haven't seen it nor do I care to.

1 hour ago, RH said:

In case anyone is curious why I've never seen this and why I'm NOT interested in seeing it.  Here are my reasons.

I guess I had a slightly similar impression from you before I eventually saw the movie. Maybe never hating the character as much as you do, but I see where you are coming from.

Here's the thing though, the cartoon short that was produced of Roger Rabbit isn't directly representative of the movie at all. The cartoon characters in the context of the movie are basically actors that are playing roles for the cartoons they appear in. This is a joke that's played on especially with Baby Herman, but maybe not Roger himself as much.

More importantly though, Roger Rabbit is supposed to be annoying. He's representing the stereotypical obnoxious cartoon character with no perception of how the real world works. The movie is basically a deconstruction of that whole trope - ie. it's not a cartoon, it's about cartoons. It works because Roger Rabbit isn't the main character of the movie. Eddie Valiant, played brilliantly by Bob Hoskins, is!

IMO you should really just try watching the movie. It's not like it's a big undertaking. I think if you enjoy movies like Back To The Future, Ghostbusters, Beetlejuice, or Gremlins, then Roger Rabbit is something you'll like just as much. It's much more along those lines than, say, Space Jam or whatever.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I'm not a fan of the movie, but I AM a fan of the animation in it. 

I owe the majority of my animation knowledge to Richard Williams' book (The Animator's Survival Kit) and accompanying masterclass video series. That guy refuses to cut corners in his cartoons, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit really shows it. I even remember an anecdote about how they intentionally made one of the toons bump into a live-action lamp, and subsequently animated the moving shadow on the character frame-by-frame in multiple layers just to sell the integration of elements that much more. 

-CasualCart

When this movie came out and the years afterwards I was soooo confused about why Jessica Rabbit didn't have any bunny ears or anything.  I kid you not I was trying to see if they were hidden behind her hair or something.  I guess I didn't quite get that was her married name.  BTW, what did she ever see in Roger anyway?  I mean it just seems like an extremely unlikely match ya know?

41 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

He made her laugh.

I was able to do that with my wife. 🙂  I always wanted to be the fun Joey Gladstone type rather than one of those stuffy suit and tie leather briefcase Wall Street journal types (I've often asked her half-jokingly if she'd rather have one of those and she'd say "been there, done that" regarding her first "husband" who sadly was abusive to her 😞 )or one of those tough macho alpha male types.  I mean don't misunderstand me, we certainly need SOME of those but that doesn't mean I have to be one.  😞 

• Like 2