IGNORED

Time Wasted

DarkTone

For reasons even I don't entirely understand, I've spent 550 hours playing Dead by Daylight...and yes, I regret giving those greedy and incompetent developers at Behavior that much of my time and money. That's a little piece of my soul I will never get back.

Thankfully, I've realized my stupidity, sought help and am now 6 weeks sober.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2021 at 12:02 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I don't necessarily regret my time with WoW (some of those guys flew in for my buddy's wedding in August)...

But I could have done a lot of other things with that time.

It was fun for what it was and to play with friends.  But WoW and MMOs totally don't respect your time.  I dumped it and went outside to enjoy my summer.

Also, I know I've noted this before, but Top Gear 2 for SNES has a password system that brings you to the country you made it to but drops all your car upgrades which may be the dumbest password system in existence. There is no way to compete even after the 2nd or 3rd country as the competition just leaves you in the dust and you can't buy new stuff if you don't win. 

• Wow! 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Uh. No objections to preferring Super Mario RPG but Paper Mario is not a hard game. At all. You shouldn't really need to grind (certainly not to the point enemies stop giving experience!) and while Guarding helps, it only reduces damage by 1 so doing it consistently is certainly not essential. Something must have been seriously wrong with how you were approaching it.

Disagree.  If you have no sense of rhythm or timing to a beat, the game is ghosts and goblins shitty on a difficulty scale, actually GnG would be more fair, at least you have a chance at survival.  If you can't time the defensive move to whatever the beat/frame to frame animation is in that game you take the full hit and you're dead pretty fast after a point in the game.  I called out Rhythm Heaven before as I've lucked into those, bad lucked into them, on portable more than once and I can't even get out of the introduction crap but barely, and that's with all the gimmes to learn it.  Even stage one on that game with nothing but sound prompts is a lost cause.  Same reason I think Mother 3 fucking sucks, it's required to learn the timed beats to do enough damage in those RPG battles or the game is a creeping very painful slog.

Edited by Tanooki

13 hours ago, MagusSmurf said:

Uh. No objections to preferring Super Mario RPG but Paper Mario is not a hard game. At all. You shouldn't really need to grind (certainly not to the point enemies stop giving experience!) and while Guarding helps, it only reduces damage by 1 so doing it consistently is certainly not essential. Something must have been seriously wrong with how you were approaching it.

Agreed.  Grinding in Paper Mario is basically impossible, and blocking is definitely optional.  I rarely did it.  

11 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Agreed.  Grinding in Paper Mario is basically impossible, and blocking is definitely optional.  I rarely did it.  

Actually there IS one place in paper mario where you can grind. Later on, I think it's one of the final worlds, there's like a flower meadow with flower enemies around. The standard flower enemies are white, but sometimes yellow ones will spawn, and those ones always give you TONS of exp regardless of your level.

I remember grinding there for a good while when I played Paper Mario back in the day! 😅

8 hours ago, OptOut said:

Actually there IS one place in paper mario where you can grind. Later on, I think it's one of the final worlds, there's like a flower meadow with flower enemies around. The standard flower enemies are white, but sometimes yellow ones will spawn, and those ones always give you TONS of exp regardless of your level.

I remember grinding there for a good while when I played Paper Mario back in the day! 😅

That's why I said "basically impossible."  Traditional grinding isn't allowed since the enemies stop giving experience points if you kill them over and over again.  

• Agree 1

On 11/2/2021 at 12:10 PM, MagusSmurf said:

I definitely wouldn't say Paper Mario was too hard, just annoying. And 1 HP each turn can be pretty significant when you start the game with just 10 HP.

I don't know, I tolerated the timed button presses in SMRPG probably because I liked the rest of the game so much. In Paper Mario, it felt like so much more of a nuisance to me. Not saying it's a bad game, because obviously many people like it, but it was not for me.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

I have a bad habit of sticking with games to the bitter end, even if I'm not enjoying them. I try to be selective about what I start, but I would consider a couple games I've beaten a complete waste of time. Off the top of my head, the two most egregious offenders were:

1. Sands of Destruction (NDS)
  2. Project X Zone (NDS)

I thought both of those games were absolutely trash. If anything else comes to mind, I'll come back and update.

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I have a bad habit of sticking with games to the bitter end, even if I'm not enjoying them. I try to be selective about what I start, but I would consider a couple games I've beaten a complete waste of time. Off the top of my head, the two most egregious offenders were:

2. Project X Zone (NDS)

I thought both of those games were absolutely trash. If anything else comes to mind, I'll come back and update.

On a similar note, I pushed through all of Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Saga, and virtually the entire game was just going through the motions.  Definitely could have spent that time playing through 4-5 great games.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

On a similar note, I pushed through all of Super Robot Taisen OG Endless Saga, and virtually the entire game was just going through the motions.  Definitely could have spent that time playing through 4-5 great games.

That was part of why I sold mine. It was neat for the first couple hours or so, but then the next like 30 hours looked to be the same. 

• Agree 1

the only game that comes to mind for me is  (hate me if you want)  banjo kazooie on the n64  its a good game but really repetitive  with all the crap you gotta pick up in the game.  as a kid the game never interested me  i only recently sat down and tried it out  beat it all the way to the end.  best part was mad monster mansion  but i absolutely hated that stupid game board at the end  i ended up doing a glitch to skip that part.  then i updated my flash cart and forgot to port over my saves and lost the save file.  im not doing it again.

super mario 64 has a similar game play and i can play that any time.  i think what made banjo kazooie repetitive was each jig you collected wouldn't reset the level like in sm64 you just keep going till you die.   so  i ended up completely a entire world in one sitting vs just getting a few jigs.

i didnt even bother with banjo tooie.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

2. Project X Zone (NDS)

I'm doing that right now and I'm sure it'll bug more than a few as I'll say it's Metroid Dread.  I like how the world is handled layout and all that, but Mercury Steam while a bit less wonky than their 3DS attempt, still gets a bit too heavy with the button kung fu to do basic stuff to the point of being confusingly fiddly in the heat of the moment.  Couple that with the game taking more and more life off for general hits, it just gets to be a slog when it comes to sub-bosses kind of, but largely the actual.  The game is not balanced well, good stage challenge, hard to asininely cheap/hard boss fights depending which.  One is utterly impossible for me to handle early, thankfully it can be skipped(underwater plant thing.)  Now i'm at the end game, last chozo and it's so fast and hits so stupid hard you need borderline perfection or it's a redo...over and over like 20x.  I put it down, and I'm not sure i'll go back.  I like the story, like the area, hate a few key play mechanics and overkill damage you take on stuff it's a total put off I'm no longer enjoying.

That said whether I do or not go back, I'll retain it as it's mostly done, see no reason to sell/trade it off at the least.

Although it's not actually playing a game, I wasted a ton of time collecting amiibos and WoN figures. Hours and hours standing in line, discussing stock online, and refreshing web pages. Now I have to spend more time selling them at some point as it's not practical to have them all on display for me.  What an absolute waste and definitely my biggest regret when it comes to gaming/collecting. Hard to believe how caught up I got in all that mess. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Although it's not actually playing a game, I wasted a ton of time collecting amiibos and WoN figures. Hours and hours standing in line, discussing stock online, and refreshing web pages. Now I have to spend more time selling them at some point as it's not practical to have them all on display for me.  What an absolute waste and definitely my biggest regret when it comes to gaming/collecting. Hard to believe how caught up I got in all that mess. 

I hate what has happened to the WoN line. They started re-releasing figures when it was still branded as WoN which was bad enough. Now they rebranded the whole line to Super Mario and are re-releasing everything again. I can't keep track of what I have and what I need and I can't seem to find a good website for lists etc and there are so many that its overwhelming anyway. Not to mention store exclusives etc. It is a big mess for sure. Very difficult to collect.

• Like 1

The first time my brother beat SMB3, my brother immediately paused the game to come and get me (I think I was watching TMNT on Fox).  Well... yeah, we immediately discovered "Bowser's Final Pause Attack!". 😒

I also bought Quest 64 at early launch because it was a "a legit RPG finally on the N64".  I have no clue why I finished that game.  I love that system so much (and I still do) and I think I just wanted at least a semi-enjoyable RPG experience on the N64 since every single good RPG at the time was on the PS1.  Well, yeah.  It's the most watered down, "meh" game I've ever experienced.  I tell people it's not a bad game in a traditional sense.  It's just a bland, unrememberable and uninspired stripped down game.  And yet, I played the whole thing.  At least it was a short game.

• Disagree 1

10 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

I hate what has happened to the WoN line. They started re-releasing figures when it was still branded as WoN which was bad enough. Now they rebranded the whole line to Super Mario and are re-releasing everything again. I can't keep track of what I have and what I need and I can't seem to find a good website for lists etc and there are so many that its overwhelming anyway. Not to mention store exclusives etc. It is a big mess for sure. Very difficult to collect.

For sure.. I liked collecting them at first as they had some good characters and were somewhat easy to come by. Each wave was clearly advertised and labelled. Then the distribution got out of wack and they started releasing more 'trophy' and variants of the same characters so I gave up after the 4th or 5th wave. Once they rebranded I completely lost interest but not before amassing a good number of them. 

10 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Have you sold any, and Would you even be making a profit? Do they sell easy? After all the time invested, its sounds like it was a terrible waste.

Curious because when the whole amiibo thing was crazy on NA and people were showing off walls of them I had a brief thought about getting into buying them but decided against it. Always wondered if that was smart or not. 

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Have you sold any, and Would you even be making a profit? Do they sell easy? After all the time invested, its sounds like it was a terrible waste.

Curious because when the whole amiibo thing was crazy on NA and people were showing off walls of them I had a brief thought about getting into buying them but decided against it. Always wondered if that was smart or not. 

Amiibos are far and few in terms of what have held value. As for the WoN ones I’m not sure. I went lightly into both and now actually finding myself buying more because they’re cheaper than retail 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RH said:

The first time my brother beat SMB3, my brother immediately paused the game to come and get me (I think I was watching TMNT on Fox).  Well... yeah, we immediately discovered "Bowser's Final Pause Attack!". 😒

I also bought Quest 64 at early launch because it was a "a legit RPG finally on the N64".  I have no clue why I finished that game.  I love that system so much (and I still do) and I think I just wanted at least a semi-enjoyable RPG experience on the N64 since every single good RPG at the time was on the PS1.  Well, yeah.  It's the most watered down, "meh" game I've ever experienced.  I tell people it's not a bad game in a traditional sense.  It's just a bland, unrememberable and uninspired stripped down game.  And yet, I played the whole thing.  At least it was a short game.

What’s this pause attack you speak of?

47 minutes ago, Foochie776 said:

What’s this pause attack you speak of?

It's a legit bug in the game where once you beat Bowser in stage 8, if you pause the game it locks up.

Atsome point Nintendo did find the bug but instead of patching it, they called it something like "Bowser's Final Pause Attack!" and they warned players to not pause thr game. They were being lazy and my bro rand smack into it.

EDIT

Well I can't find anything about but some references on a message board. I know it was a memorable moment for my brother and I, and it was years later, somewhere, I heard reference to the bug. The people in the other forum mention using a Game Genie and maybe we were using one, but I'm not sure of that. I know we eventually got a Game Genie, so maybe that's part of the equation and the name for the bug is in the Game Genie manual. Honestly, I don't know. It was 30 years ago. All I know is the first time we best the game, a pause locked it up and we didn't see the ending.

Edited by RH