IGNORED

Time Wasted

DarkTone

54 minutes ago, RH said:

It's a legit bug in the game where once you beat Bowser in stage 8, if you pause the game it locks up.

Atsome point Nintendo did find the bug but instead of patching it, they called it something like "Bowser's Final Pause Attack!" and they warned players to not pause thr game. They were being lazy and my bro rand smack into it.

EDIT

Well I can't find anything about but some references on a message board. I know it was a memorable moment for my brother and I, and it was years later, somewhere, I heard reference to the bug. The people in the other forum mention using a Game Genie and maybe we were using one, but I'm not sure of that. I know we eventually got a Game Genie, so maybe that's part of the equation and the name for the bug is in the Game Genie manual. Honestly, I don't know. It was 30 years ago. All I know is the first time we best the game, a pause locked it up and we didn't see the ending.

I remember something like this in the Game Genie manual. I think it said something about using a certain code would cause the game to lock up as soon as the door opens. It said to stand in the doorway and hold the up button before the door opens to prevent it from locking up 

3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Have you sold any, and Would you even be making a profit? Do they sell easy? After all the time invested, its sounds like it was a terrible waste.

Curious because when the whole amiibo thing was crazy on NA and people were showing off walls of them I had a brief thought about getting into buying them but decided against it. Always wondered if that was smart or not. 

There are some that go for a premium, but between those and the ones that are essentially worth retail (less with shipping), you're not looking at much profit once all is said and done. Factor in the effort to list and ship them and it's definitely not worth the time in my opinion. I'll hang on to mine for a bit and maybe try to offload them in one go. Last I checked there were only a handful that were over $100 like the Mii Fighters and Corrin player 2 - but the bulk of them are retail to $40. I resold/scalped some back in the day though and likely made money from the endeavor already. I'd avoid the whole thing though if I had to do it all over. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RH said:

It's a legit bug in the game where once you beat Bowser in stage 8, if you pause the game it locks up.

Atsome point Nintendo did find the bug but instead of patching it, they called it something like "Bowser's Final Pause Attack!" and they warned players to not pause thr game. They were being lazy and my bro rand smack into it.

EDIT

Well I can't find anything about but some references on a message board. I know it was a memorable moment for my brother and I, and it was years later, somewhere, I heard reference to the bug. The people in the other forum mention using a Game Genie and maybe we were using one, but I'm not sure of that. I know we eventually got a Game Genie, so maybe that's part of the equation and the name for the bug is in the Game Genie manual. Honestly, I don't know. It was 30 years ago. All I know is the first time we best the game, a pause locked it up and we didn't see the ending.

Wild. Yeah I’d never heard of that before but it’s super interesting, I’ll have to dig out my game Genie manual now 

On 11/1/2021 at 7:42 PM, cj_robot said:

I had the same experience with The Darkness on PS3. There is a glitch (I guess it's avoidable, but I didn't know about it at the time) that corrupts the save file. I don't remember how far into the game, but it was definitely at least halfway thought, several hours into it.

The difference here is that, despite the decent review scores it got, I really wasn't digging the game very much. The game's story and atmosphere was extremely dark and creepy, but not in a way that was entertaining to me, but rather just left me feeling kind of depressed... so definitely regret spending the time I did on it. The glitch was definitely a blessing.

I could not get into that game.  I really wanted to.  Love that type of asthetic, but it just wasn't entertaining to me. 

I feel this way about cities skylines.  It's definitely my stress game.  I can burn through an entire Saturday and still feel like I want to keep playing.  CIV6 does a similar thing to me.  When I have a multi day session (in between work of course) I just feel gross.  So I'll uninstall for several months until the bug bites again.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

I just thought of one of the biggest offenders: Record of the Agarest War

I put in 20-30 hours, and once I realized how bad of a timesink it was going to be - and how much it was an abuse of that time - I pulled the plug.  God help anyone who plowed through that whole thing.

• Like 1

Just looked up SMB3 in my old Game Genie manual.  There's a group of codes (28-32) that give you various "permanent" super abilities.  It comes with the following text, which I will quote verbatim (can you spot the typos lol?):

"IMPORTANT: IF YOU USE ANY OF CODES 28 THRU 32 TO DEFEAT BOWZER, YOU SHOULD STAND IN FRONT OF THE DOOR AND HOLD "UP." AS SOON AS THE DOOR OPENS, YOU PASS THROUGH INTO THE CHAMBER WHERE THE PRINCESS IS HELD.  IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS, YOU MAY GET CAUGHT IN BOWZER'S TIME TRAP AND THE GAME WILL PAUSE FOREVER!"

So not sure if these codes were used or if the pause button had anything to do with it?

Either way, I enjoyed the excuse to crack the book open, so thanks!

• Like 2
  • Love 1