IGNORED

Game Debate #60: Shadow of the Colossus

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in playing it.

Administrator · Posted

I gave this one a 10.  I remember being completely blown away, when this came out.  This was one of those games I was super interested in before release, and anxiously awaited it.  Then when I got to finally get it and play, I was so happy - it lived up to the hype for me personally, and it wasn't quite like any other game I played.

Especially at the time, it was so amazing having these epic battles with gigantic creatures.  It really was stunning.

The game is still very fun to play, and I still find it impressive even after all these years.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Some owners want to play, and some just want to hoard shit on their shelves.  The last two options should cover that 😅

Ya, that's a good point so #2 it is.

Some respectable numbers so far I gotta move this up on the list.

Edited by Californication

3 minutes ago, Californication said:

Ya, that's a good point so #2 it is.

Some respectable numbers so far I gotta move this up on the list.

If you do ever get around to playing it you should include your experience somewhere in the forum.  This is the type of game I could discuss and talk about all day long, and I'm always interested in reading about the experiences of a first time player, even if they happen to be negative.  

In fact, considering it's been a year or two, I might need to do another play through.  In fact, I need to do it with the entire Team Ico series.  

• Like 1

7. Thinking about it more, maybe an 8, but voted 7. The idea was great and most of the fights are fun but the game's a little too far up its own ass and enjoys making you walk through empty nothingness before you get to the fights a bit too much. There's some immersive value in that, yeah, it just exhausted itself before the game did for me. As far as "pretentious art games" go, this is pretty clearly better than Journey but I feel some of the praise for it still falls a bit too much on "trying to convince you a black dot on a white canvas is a masterpiece," yeah? SotC does actually deliver when it counts most though, so I walked away pretty satisfied.

Note I've only played the PS2 version, and only once.

I think maybe the 2/10 description should be altered to be more clearly negative for future topics? 3/10 is "not very good" (basically politely saying "it's bad") and 1/10 is "totally horrible in every way" so you'd think 2/10 would be something along the lines of "very bad." "Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them" isn't very clear about that though and actually sounds more positive than the 3/10 description to me. A game that's not my cup of my tea is probably not going to be very good, but isn't necessarily even a bad game.

Edited by MagusSmurf

Editorials Team · Posted
14 minutes ago, MagusSmurf said:

think maybe the 2/10 description should be altered to be more clearly negative for future topics? 3/10 is "not very good" (basically politely saying "it's bad") and 1/10 is "totally horrible in every way" so you'd think 2/10 would be something along the lines of "very bad." "Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them" isn't very clear about that though and actually sounds more positive than the 3/10 description to me. A game that's not my cup of my tea is probably not going to be very good, but isn't

I have had this same thought and will consider it going forward

12 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It's one of the "most PS2" games I can think of because it's unique, it's exclusive, it's very Japanese, and the hardware isn't powerful enough to run it. Great game. I love a unique concept that does its own thing and doesn't just put a twist on an existing genre.

It was basically a PS3 game released a full year before the PS3 was released.  

It's one of those games I'm not sure I enjoyed that much while playing it, but after having played it, it just stays with you forever, and that really has to count for something as well in the overall score. There are more aspects to certain games than just "how maneuverable the horse is", and some times those aspects wouldn't work out as well if said horse behaved like a 1:1 race car track.

It just has so much personality, beating it is an experience. I've played it through three times since it originally came out, and I'm looking forward to experiencing it over again at least a few more times in the future. There is nothing else like it. It didn't really move me quite as much as Ico did, but that's also a really high bar.

8/10

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 1