IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Editorials Team · Posted

Messed around with Contra Rogue Whatever (reminds me of Mercenary Kings) and Remothered (reminds me of Clock Tower)

Starting up Super Mario Galaxy, one of the few mainline Marios I haven't played through.

Deep into one of the few SNES RPGs I had yet to complete and having a ball.

I pulled my Switch out, been quite a few days, and I sat with it for a couple hours and knocked off Cat Story 2.

Downloaded Star Wars Squadrons and I'll give that a try and hope it works well tomorrow.  Beyond that, not sure, may just pull out Ever Oasis or Mario 3D Allstars again.

Digging into Yoshi's Epic Woolly World of Yarn.

Man am I split on this game. On one hand, after four attempts spread across multiple decades they finally managed to make a genuine sequel to Yoshi's Island. Everything about it just feels like that game, right down to little subtle mechanics that I think you wouldn't notice unless you've spent countless hours with the original game.

And the level design is skillfully made, you can tell these people know what they are doing.

Buuuut instead of making the new Yoshi's Island that I really wanted, they decided to (unsurprisingly) make it into a kiddie game. Despite the game already having multiple mechanics to make it much easier (such as a casual "mellow mode" as well as optional skills that let you enter a stage basically invincible) the base design is already incredibly easy as it is. And it really does feel like the game was originally designed to be a little more challenging, but then toned down. The bosses perform attacks that feel like they should cover a lot more ground, and the game in general relies on a lot of moving platforms and similar mechanical ideas that would have a perfect flow if only they moved a lot faster.
Seems like a perfect candidate for a "hard mode", or rather a "normal mode" tbh.

Instead, the game focuses a lot more on secret hunting than the original. Spending all the time looking for hidden things really hurts the flow even further, and always forces you to wait even more cycles for all the moving parts of a stage.

Some of the bonus stages have been great so far, though. I wish more of the game had been like that. Hopefully the last world will shape up a bit.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
18 minutes ago, MrPeaPod said:

Just finished off Startropics. I died so many times!! It was much harder than I expected it to be. The game is really great. One of the better nes games I've played

Great game for sure. I've always wanted to try the sequel but somehow I just can't ever find a decent copy at a decent price.

2 hours ago, MrPeaPod said:

Just finished off Startropics. I died so many times!! It was much harder than I expected it to be. The game is really great. One of the better nes games I've played

It was in the NES Game Atlas (which covered essentially the bluest of blue chip NES games up to that point in time) so it better be really great!

Edited by Estil

Still messing with Star Wars Squadrons, did a few missions more yesterday but haven't been playing consistently as it's been a very long time but threw my back out so I can't sit for long in one position doing it.  The more I play, the more i like the story, the visuals, but the less I like the control and the stage design not on the whole but the forced elements as it's to the detriment of the game.  For $40 it's worth it, sure, but it's a shadow of what TIE Fighter and X-Wing with or without their expansions in the 90s did for the franchise.  There's a total lack of freedom with the missions and how to approach stuff which is a real shame.

On 10/10/2020 at 6:52 PM, Gloves said:

Great game for sure. I've always wanted to try the sequel but somehow I just can't ever find a decent copy at a decent price.

Don't bother. Sequel's alright, but everything that made the original game great is gone from it.

My experience with the first game is the same as @MrPeaPod. Played it really late (after owning it for a decade or two), and was surprised at both how challenging and just genuinely great it is. One of the best NES games for sure.

Edited by Sumez
  • Sad 1

For the better part of this year:  Star Wars Battlefront II.  This game got lots of flack when it came out due to the loot boxes, but I got it a year later and, really, it seems the loot boxes are no longer being utilized, as I have yet to see how to buy one and have been playing all of 2020.  

I love the Star Wars theme and the multiplayer maps and scenarios are damn fun.  I love flying around as Boba Fett (when I get lucky to have enough points during the game to select him and there is a spot for another Hero/Villain) and pissing off the other team with "death from above."  I play it on PS4.

Other than that, I finally started BOTW for the first time last week.  Its OK so far...not as mind blowing as I thought it would be.  But, I am sure it will open up soon.  Just got done with the lab where you get your extra tablet powers.

Also playing Super Mario 35 and The Messenger on Switch!