IGNORED

What are you currently playing?

Reed Rothchild

Rise of the Ronin. It’s pretty good. There are a lot of mechanics to take in but I’m slowly getting the hang of it. The counterspark/parry system you can’t really master cause every enemy has like different timings which is annoying but I always play games like this on easy so I can get through the story. 

• Like 1

Have started playing the Switch library with Drainus, Blasphemous ll, Razion Ex, and Demon Throttle. 

Drainus is my fav. so far because of the difficulty and weapon load out on the fly. Razion Ex is has a sweet spot as far as difficulty and I see a 1cc in the future. (Kind of crazy that both games have set pieces dedicated to r-type.)

Blasphemous ll is a bit easier than one and the level design is a half step down from the original, which is weird considering the reused most of the resources. That being said it's been a lot of fun and I am OP and stuck ATM.

Demon Throttle is a welcome Arcade style game, it feels closer to a auto runner than a shooter like Twinkle Tale or Elemental Master. But the RPG elements make it interesting as the level up system creates a real incentive to kill as many enemies as possible.

Can't wait to check out some more of the exclusives.

Edit: just got to the final boss and Demon Throttle will get filed as Cho Aniki adjacent.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

I started playing Balatro, which is the first roguelike deckbuilder I've been able to get into. I can't tell if I like this genre yet or if it just dishes out a dopamine explosion when all the right cards connect like a loot explosion in an ARPG and it's just one of those sneaky addiction things.

49 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I started playing Balatro, which is the first roguelike deckbuilder I've been able to get into. I can't tell if I like this genre yet or if it just dishes out a dopamine explosion when all the right cards connect like a loot explosion in an ARPG and it's just one of those sneaky addiction things.

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the game. That said, not sure it's my type of game. Does it have a story/campaign?

7 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I've heard nothing but amazing things about the game. That said, not sure it's my type of game. Does it have a story/campaign?

Not at all. There's a billion little progressive difficulty levels and things to unlock for subsequent runs which is the carrot to keep playing.

• Thanks 1

Kind of done with Balatro. Definitely a fun game, but runs end up being a little too samey to spend the time unlocking everything. Start with some chips/mult, then transition to mult/X-mult hopefully with some of the most powerful jokers. At higher stakes, you can't use any of the utility/"fun" jokers because scoring consistency is all that matters. The two extreme hands (high card and flush five) also make virtually every other hand obsolete other than randomly playing them to get through early rounds.

V Rising 1.0 is coming out next week. I have around 350 hours co-op into that with my wife and they're making us start fresh saves for the full release, so lots more killing dudes and clicking rocks to do 🥰

Posted (edited)

I have been playing Spaceland - pretty simplistic (in that there are no complex menus) - small squads (1-4 units) offers pretty engaging gameplay.  As with so many games there is no organized tutorial so figuring out some of the mechanics is almost by happenstance. Good value since it was pretty cheap on sale at the e-shop.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Wow! 1

Working on Shining in the Darkness right now. It's been about a decade since I played through this one. I know it's not for everyone, but I really like the first-person dungeon crawling. I actually still have the maps and notes I made last time I played, which has been pretty handy.

I've been (very slowly) trying to get through most of the 8/16-bit JRPGs I missed out on back in the day, as well as replaying some for which it's been a while. So far, I've finished (for the first time) Dragon Warrior II, Phantasy Star II, PS III and Sword of Vermilion. Also played Final Fantasy I, even though I've done that one before, and found it much more rewarding the second time now that I know many of its intricacies and weird bugs. Currently about halfway through Crystalis and maybe two-thirds through Shining.

• Like 2

On 5/11/2024 at 8:50 PM, cj_robot said:

Working on Shining in the Darkness right now. It's been about a decade since I played through this one. I know it's not for everyone, but I really like the first-person dungeon crawling. I actually still have the maps and notes I made last time I played, which has been pretty handy.

I've been (very slowly) trying to get through most of the 8/16-bit JRPGs I missed out on back in the day, as well as replaying some for which it's been a while. So far, I've finished (for the first time) Dragon Warrior II, Phantasy Star II, PS III and Sword of Vermilion. Also played Final Fantasy I, even though I've done that one before, and found it much more rewarding the second time now that I know many of its intricacies and weird bugs. Currently about halfway through Crystalis and maybe two-thirds through Shining.

I loved Shining in the Darkness. The music, the cutsey graphics, it was just a fun game! Challenging, and arguably "unfair" too. I remember at one point I was fighting some mandrakes, and one of them "screamed" and instantly killed my ENTIRE party. Yup, cheap shite. Still, great game despite the flaws. Oh, and the CD soundtrack is totally worth tracking down, but it's harder to find than the game --

Front.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, avatar! said:

I loved Shining in the Darkness. The music, the cutsey graphics, it was just a fun game! Challenging, and arguably "unfair" too. I remember at one point I was fighting some mandrakes, and one of them "screamed" and instantly killed my ENTIRE party. Yup, cheap shite. Still, great game despite the flaws. Oh, and the CD soundtrack is totally worth tracking down, but it's harder to find than the game --

Front.jpg

Everyone says that SNES has better RPGs, but it really depends on what you're into. The popular Square RPGs on SNES are more like easy interactive soap operas that are more about the story. Genesis has hardcore RPGs such as Phantasy Star II and Shining in the Darkness that are brutally difficult to complete. The kind of games that you need to map out with pen and paper.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Diddy Kong Racing. I honestly feel like many N64 games do not hold up, but this is not one of them. It holds up incredibly well.17165903925827294985915695099663.jpg.595f62b4de5d3049591fdbcf91a3e72b.jpg

I gotta show that Wizpig who's boss! I find I am best on car and plane stages with Tiptup, and hover stages with Conker. I haven't unlocked Drumstick yet, who used to be my go to in hover. TT was mostly banned in group play except by newer players/younger kids. I do remember I could only defeat the plane Wizpig stage back in the day as Conker though. Good times!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, tbone3969 said:

Tear of the Kingdom.... god dam this game is huge!

Did you make it to the Depths yet? I thought the entire game was on the top level and then also saw how big the depths was when I made it there and it blew my mind all over the couch lmao

• Like 1