Spooky Poll  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Spooky Reads

• Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
    • Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury 
    • Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King
    • Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/01/2021 at 03:59 AM

It's almost the best holiday of the year, Halloween! 

The Origin of Halloween Colors | Blog

This month we can choose from some spooky reads to change it up and to match the season 🙂 

Poll will run from 9/21-9/30 and start 10/1.

Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris 

The Silence of the Lambs  (Hannibal Lecter, #2)

Hannibal Lecter. The ultimate villain of modern fiction. Read the five-million-copy bestseller that scared the world silent. The Silence of the Lambs. A young FBI trainee. An evil genius locked away for unspeakable crimes. A plunge into the darkest chambers of a psychopath's mind--in the deadly search for a serial killer. 

(Technically it is book #2 but Google says its not necessary to read them in order FYI)

Something Wick This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury 

Something Wicked This Way Comes (Green Town, #2)

One of Ray Bradbury’s best-known and most popular novels, Something Wicked This Way Comes, now featuring a new introduction and material about its longstanding influence on culture and genre.

For those who still dream and remember, for those yet to experience the hypnotic power of its dark poetry, step inside. The show is about to begin. Cooger & Dark’s Pandemonium Shadow Show has come to Green Town, Illinois, to destroy every life touched by its strange and sinister mystery. The carnival rolls in sometime after midnight, ushering in Halloween a week early. A calliope’s shrill siren song beckons to all with a seductive promise of dreams and youth regained. Two boys will discover the secret of its smoke, mazes, and mirrors; two friends who will soon know all too well the heavy cost of wishes…and the stuff of nightmares.

Few novels have endured in the heart and memory as has Ray Bradbury’s unparalleled literary masterpiece Something Wicked This Way Comes. Scary and suspenseful, it is a timeless classic in the American canon.

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King 

Full Dark, No Stars

"I believe there is another man inside every man, a stranger..." writes Wilfred Leland James in the early pages of the riveting confession that makes up "1922." the first in this pitch-black quartet of mesmerizing tales from Stephen King. For James, that stranger is awakened when his wife, Arlette, proposes selling off the family homestead and moving to Omaha, setting in motion a gruesome train of murder and madness.

In "Big Driver," a cozy-mystery writer named Tess encounters the stranger along a back road in Massachusetts when she takes a shortcut home after a book-club engagement. Violated and left for dead, Tess plots a revenge that will bring her face-to-face with another stranger: the one inside herself.

"Fair Extension," the shortest of these tales, is perhaps the nastiest and certainly the funniest. Making a deal with the devil not only saves Dave Streeter from a fatal cancer but provides rich recompense for a lifetime of resentment.

When her husband of more than twenty years is away on one of his business trips, Darcy Anderson looks for batteries in the garage. Her toe knocks up against a box under a worktable and she discovers the stranger inside her husband. It's a horrifying discovery, rendered with bristling intensity, and it definitely ends a good marriage.

Like Different Seasons and Four Past Midnight, which generated such enduring films as The Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me, Full Dark, No Stars proves Stephen King a master of the long story form.

Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill 

Heart-Shaped Box

Aging, self-absorbed rock star Judas Coyne has a thing for the macabre -- his collection includes sketches from infamous serial killer John Wayne Gacy, a trepanned skull from the 16th century, a used hangman's noose, Aleister Crowley's childhood chessboard, etc. -- so when his assistant tells him about a ghost for sale on an online auction site, he immediately puts in a bid and purchases it.

The black, heart-shaped box that Coyne receives in the mail not only contains the suit of a dead man but also his vengeance-obsessed spirit. The ghost, it turns out, is the stepfather of a young groupie who committed suicide after the 54-year-old Coyne callously used her up and threw her away. Now, determined to kill Coyne and anyone who aids him, the merciless ghost of Craddock McDermott begins his assault on the rocker's sanity.

"So when his assistant tells him about a ghost for sale on an online auction site, he immediately puts in a bid and purchases it."

"The ghost, it turns out, is the stepfather of a young groupie who committed suicide after the 54-year-old Coyne callously used her up and threw her away. Now, determined to kill Coyne..."

Yo, fire that assistant. It's called due diligence!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Already read Full Dark, haven't jumped into Hill yet, don't have Silence, so I'm going with my Bradbury nomination.

I prefer hill over king tbh. It was my first book from Hill and I loved it. NOS4R2 is also really good from Hill as well. 

Sorry guys, I've never able to finish the Bradbury entry, don't care for King or his kid, and just don't have any interest in Silence of the Lambs beyond the movie(s).  Thanks for the heads up about the vote, but I'm going to skip this one and probably re-read stuff like the "Tales for the Midnight Hour" series, hopefully with my kids.

Ă—
Ă—