IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - KID NIKI

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

i understand we have played many broken games. does no one care to fix the issue? if so than it is what it is. 

btw its only wednesday 🙂 you know we dont post what we got until sunday.

We usually fix it if glaring issues are found in the first day or two or something is entirely too broken. Otherwise we wait to adjust the rules the next time the game shows up.
It is already Wednesday and I don't see that accidental point pressing is a "too pressing" of an issue to change the rules at this point.
Next time we run progress + lowest score.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

What's the main reason for a no point pressing rule for this game when there's a timer?

Do you have the mental fortitude to kill the same enemy over and over until time runs out on every single level of this game?

Have you forgotten the Spartan X-2 fiasco already???   😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis

36 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Do you have the mental fortitude to kill the same enemy over and over until time runs out on every single level of this game?

Have you forgotten the Spartan X-2 fiasco already???   😉

14 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Maybe not so bad since this is a one life contest.

i dont even know if it would yeild more points. is the "atta boy" bonus time based?

6 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

i dont even know if it would yeild more points. is the "atta boy" bonus time based?

Lol this is the only question I can answer only having played level 1. My nes has been lonely last two nights with evening work. 

I looked up how to play boss 1 Sunday. Youtube dude got 20k bonus. I was getting 15k every time. One real bad game I got 10k. If you have over 4 min left on the clock, 20k bonus. 3 min left, 15k bonus, and so on I assume. Not sure if there is a floor

19 hours ago, Richardhead said:
20 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

easiest game in human history to farm points on.  Why look for secret areas for points when you can literally stand just about anywhere in the game and tap B?

Because that’s cheating per the rule set. 

IIUTC I don't think the point racking rule constitutes much worry as far as the first few levels are concerned.  Depending on the GT there are spots where a few extra enemies will run out if you happen to stop or because you turned back for a moment to kill one behind you, but they stop coming after no more than a few, sometimes just one or two; or none.  At any rate if there is an enemy coming at you, you kill it.  If that means stopping to kill one behind you which triggers the emergence of another so be it.  In order to get the 20,000 at the end of the level you've got to get it all done with at least 4:00 on the clock which doesn't leave any extra time to kill enemies if they just kept coming indefinitely in any given spot.  There may be a level or two in the 2nd half of the game where this IS possible but I couldn't tell you for certain if it would yield more points than finishing as described above or not because I haven't tried it.  My educated guess would be that yes, doing so would yield a somewhat higher score.  It would also introduce a pointless (no pun intended) and undesirable monotony factor to the competition, hence the no point racking rule.

My 2cents: It's worth some analysis, but should not lead to any nightmares...

What's worse?:  The ridiculous glitches/programing errors that do insert nightmares into what is an otherwise good fun game.   My favorite so far?  Niki running off the moving ledge for immediate death when jump on a clean, working controller has clearly been pressed.  And I'm not talking about trying to run and jump off the absolute last vestige of edge available.  I mean Niki is running and not one iota of him has begun to cross the edge, jump is pressed and Niki runs right off the ledge. 

That is some 1st class hair remover in a 1-life/1-hit competition.

28 minutes ago, PII said:

What's worse?:  The ridiculous glitches/programing errors that do insert nightmares into what is an otherwise good fun game.   My favorite so far?  Niki running off the moving ledge for immediate death when jump on a clean, working controller has clearly been pressed.  And I'm not talking about trying to run and jump off the absolute last vestige of edge available.  I mean Niki is running and not one iota of him has begun to cross the edge, jump is pressed and Niki runs right off the ledge. 

I have literally never encountered that problem with a perfectly working controller while playing this game.  Just saying.

29 minutes ago, PII said:

I was blaming emulation lag. I guess it's the game then.

@the_wizard_666 Level 4, the up&down platforms in the water specifically.  Is it a particular point on the ledge of take off?  I don't know.  Does it have something to do with my landing just beforehand?  I don't know.  Does it have something to do with the up/down position of the ledge itself?  I'll bet that's it.  Don't know, but I'd bet on it.  Fortunately It does not happen terribly often...

There are a couple of spots on the last level where Niki jumps (for a pit) and then pauses in the air for a split second.  It doesn't cause a problem but those pauses occurs every time and are a precedent for jump related glitches in the game...

Okay, I wanted to know what a typical score as per the actual posted rules would be, so I just updated my score with a 316k No-Death Run in which I did not enter any bonus levels or kill any dudes I would have had to go out of my way for.  This is not a true low-score run because I was killing every single dude in my path who got in my way and I didn't avoid killing anyone on purpose, but at no time did I stop to kill extra dudes.

I may try a full-bonus run on the weekend, if I have time, where I do go out of my way to kill all the guys who pop on the screen, just to see what the difference is, but as you can see, a true no-point-scumming run would get you just around the 315k mark, which is like 50k below Bert Sampson's score (though he may have entered bonus levels, I don't know).  Not trying to single him out, but he's the only other person to have posted a completion score at the time of this posting, so that's the only score I have to compare against.

Just saying..... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PII said:

This has happened to me exactly twice; I just let the expletives fly and then hit reset.  My no nonsense No-Death Run clocked in at 19 minutes and 40 seconds, where I was going super fast on all stages except Stage 8 (the randomness of the final boss's flames are too scary for me to plow through that level quickly), so you're probably less than ten minutes in by Stage four.  Just hit reset and try again... 🙂

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, PII said:

So, I just had it happen on level 3.  It was on an up/down cloud that I'm pretty sure was moving down at the time.  Somehow I managed to notice in time and furiously tapped "A" to make a successful jump in spite of it... lol

I think it's pretty obvious at this point that there are certain frames that don't register for jumping off of moving platforms.  On solid ground your chance of a successful jump when pressing A is 100%; on a jittery moving platform, your chances are like 19 out of 20...

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, PII said:

There are a couple of spots on the last level where Niki jumps (for a pit) and then pauses in the air for a split second.  It doesn't cause a problem but those pauses occurs every time and are a precedent for jump related glitches in the game...

this happens in stage 3 right before the clouds.

18 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

So I was again pressed for time last night, but I played around in level 1 and I think youd score more with effective pressing than you get racing through to get max bonus. 

So I say if this gets played again, high score, 1 life, pressing is allowed. More fun than low score and strategy could really make a difference

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

So I was again pressed for time last night, but I played around in level 1 and I think youd score more with effective pressing than you get racing through to get max bonus. 

So I say if this gets played again, high score, 1 life, pressing is allowed. More fun than low score and strategy could really make a difference

like smb3

• Like 1

On 9/8/2021 at 9:52 AM, docile tapeworm said:

we should just post one of these every week right below the leaderboard....that way everyone knows everything about the game with no effort at all.

Ain't nobody got time to be watching videos of games. I'd rather spend that time playing games. Maybe that's just me.

• Agree 2

This is the furthest I've been able to get this week: 130,000

I didn't notice too many glitches related to jumping off of moving objects until this run; while trying to jump off of a cloud that was still moving upward, it kept bouncing me up and down and almost threw me off. I think random enemy spawns killed half my runs!

IMG_7639.jpg

• Like 1