IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - KID NIKI

BeaIank

Congrats to everyone who beat this on one life because I can't imagine doing so.  Way too many cheap deaths and too much janky random BS. Wouldn't be so bad when playing casually because there are infinite continues and a bunch of extra lives, but so aggravating for a contest.

I really wanted to reach stage 5 in one life. I made it to the stage 4 boss a few times but then it would often emerge from the ground right under me and kill me with nothing I could do about it. I must have been standing in the wrong place.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

I really wanted to reach stage 5 in one life. I made it to the stage 4 boss a few times but then it would often emerge from the ground right under me and kill me with nothing I could do about it. I must have been standing in the wrong place.

If you stand at the far left side of the screen then the boss will never hit you from below...  😉

Just now, mbd39 said:

Now is there a trick to consistently getting past the bubbles? It seems so luck based. At least you can skip part of it because there's a hidden area there.

Watch for a break after the first bubble, sometimes it takes a few, jump over; immediately jump to avoid the next bubble and land on the right side of the ledge.  Keep one eye on the bubbles and one on the moving ledge and get ready to go for it and don't jump the gun cuz that moving ledge has some wonky timing.

• Like 1

Just now, mbd39 said:

Now is there a trick to consistently getting past the bubbles? It seems so luck based. At least you can skip part of it because there's a hidden area there.

I never got hit by bubbles doing my strategy, which was: I would jump with the bubble rising and if another bubble appeared at the bottom of the screen while I was mid-jump, I would abort forward progress and land on the left platform; if no bubble appeared, I would jump to the next/right platform and quickly move to the far right side of the platform and wait for the rising platform to appear.  When standing on the far right of any of those platforms, I never got hit by any bubbles...

• Like 1

And congrats, @PII on the win; I'm sure I could've beat you, but there's a real gray area for what might constitute point scumming, so I'd rather come in second and not have to wonder if I crossed that line...

Now we just need @BeaIank to update the last two weeks of scores, whenever she has the time... 🙂

• Eyeroll 1

45 minutes ago, Krunch said:

The best thing about Data East games is that ledges and edges are just suggestions

B082A128-4771-497F-BC4E-6F957A5ACF8E.jpeg

Man, I was thinking you were gonna come in with a last-second killer score, since you performed well in the last two platformers.

Also, this is an Irem game; Data East just published it over here in North America.  There are also two sequels we didn't get that are only on the Famicom, and anyone who's a fan of the first game should check them out.  The second one is really good...

27 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

And congrats, @PII on the win; I'm sure I could've beat you, but there's a real gray area for what might constitute point scumming, so I'd rather come in second and not have to wonder if I crossed that line...

Thanx, I also did my best to avoid this grey area which isn't too hard really although I'd say the grayest area is in trying to enter one of the secret rooms on level 6 level 5 where you have to duck and hold it for a while at just the right spot while enemies are progressing toward you.  The worse you are at it the more enemies you're obligated to take out....  Oh well, I spent most of M.u.s.c.l.e. week playing this one.  

For whatever reason, I thought there was another hour-twenty-five left in that extension....?

Edited by PII

9 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Man, I was thinking you were gonna come in with a last-second killer score, since you performed well in the last two platformers.

Also, this is an Irem game; Data East just published it over here in North America.  There are also two sequels we didn't get that are only on the Famicom, and anyone who's a fan of the first game should check them out.  The second one is really good...

Nah I screwed myself by not prepping my hardware better earlier in the season, so lots of contests where I dont have the game or access on the Switch (sadly theres a lot of overlap between the switch collection and my own) and without em I play without controller on computer, it's a detriment for platformers especially and I'm actually pretty tolerant of Data East games so this is an ouch.  I'll be able to switch back to my PC soon so ill improve cause I got a USB adapter that hooks up a real nes controller (cant without emu plus for mac though). 

I did good in VPD cause I had experience.  What was the other one, Mario 3?  if so same deal.  Not necessarily that great at KNRN by comparison but its less popular too.

Oh and I didnt see the part where you said it's Irem, I was totally fooled because it was floaty like some other games (bad dudes, karnov).  Publishers is more helpful in general collecting, do publishers still have some oversight in how a game is made?  Like how a producer of a movie can have influence over what the movie becomes?  I figure most producer influence is based on "compromises" and then creates bad results so maybe there's a through line there among the different libraries of different publishers.

30 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Oh and I didnt see the part where you said it's Irem, I was totally fooled because it was floaty like some other games (bad dudes, karnov).  Publishers is more helpful in general collecting, do publishers still have some oversight in how a game is made?  Like how a producer of a movie can have influence over what the movie becomes?  I figure most producer influence is based on "compromises" and then creates bad results so maybe there's a through line there among the different libraries of different publishers.

I don't think Data East had a single thing to do with development, honestly.  My educated guess is that: after Irem pulled the plug on US publishing and distribution (for a number of years) due to Sqoons poor reception, Data East swooped in and offered to buy the US rights to Kid Niki to save on the R&D cost of developing one more game themselves.  Broderbund did the same thing with Spelunker.  In fact, after Irem pulled out of the US, many of their early games made it out over here after other publishers swooped in for the easy money...

Edited by Dr. Morbis

9 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I don't think Data East had a single thing to do with development, honestly.  My educated guess is that: after Irem pulled the plug on US publishing and distribution (for a number of years) due to Sqoons poor reception, Data East swooped in and offered to buy the US rights to Kid Niki to save on the R&D cost of developing one more game themselves.  Broderbund did the same thing with Spelunker.  In fact, after Irem pulled out of the US, most of their early games made it out over here after other publishers swooped in for the easy money...

Oh interesting so the other 3 Irem published games are later cause they were out of the game for a few years.  That's funny too cause I really like Spelunker but when acquiring the Broderbund set i found they didnt really do it for me (never tried Softball, i still have one).  Buncha dirty punk thieves

Just now, Krunch said:

Oh interesting so the other 3 Irem published games are later cause they were out of the game for a few years.  That's funny too cause I really like Spelunker but when acquiring the Broderbund set i found they didnt really do it for me (never tried Softball, i still have one).  Buncha dirty punk thieves

Well we actually have two Irem games in a row to round out the platformer category, because the next (and last) platformer is the awesome Irem game: HOLY DIVER!!!!!

10 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

@Krunch, I understand the confusion. I was under the same impression for whatever reason. 

20210912_225549.jpg

Ha its always more than meets the eye eh, and even though I know this I choose to cling to the clunky paradigm of sorting things by publisher.  I'm a CIB collector, and it looks really good 🙉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

Ha its always more than meets the eye eh, and even though I know this I choose to cling to the clunky paradigm of sorting things by publisher.  I'm a CIB collector, and it looks really good 🙉

Yeah, sorting by publisher is the only way to go... 🙂   Sooooo much more aesthetically pleasing!

And as for Broderbund, I'd have to check their NES game list, but I don't think they developed a single game themselves: their entire business was purchasing rights to games and swinging a buck off of distribution...

On 9/12/2021 at 11:11 PM, Krunch said:
On 9/12/2021 at 11:09 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Well we actually have two Irem games in a row to round out the platformer category, because the next (and last) platformer is the awesome Irem game: HOLY DIVER!!!!!

I gotta say I'm psyched to try Holy Diver being a rock fan too.  Righteous pick

The Storyline for those of you who haven't had the chuckle yet...

Edited by PII

2 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Yeah, sorting by publisher is the only way to go... 🙂   Sooooo much more aesthetically pleasing!

And as for Broderbund, I'd have to check their NES game list, but I don't think they developed a single game themselves: their entire business was purchasing rights to games and swinging a buck off of distribution...

Lol!  No wonder it's so inconsistent.  Hard strategy to criticize, seems like the games sold well, lots of em have a few different prints.  I only really like Spelunker i found, havent tried em all lode runner might be ok or Raid on Bungleing Bay.  battle of olympus I got no time for.