IGNORED

What game genre is your #1 ?

Nintegageo

9 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

The NES-PS1 era games I play on switch or emulators. They are much easier to play with save states and whatnot. The newer stuff I play on whatever console they are on. 

Well I play mine on Everdrives as well as the PSIO...either way is a LOT cheaper than what some of the original games go for, not to mention with PS1 games you kinda have to get them CIB and be very sure the disc isn't all scratched/'printed.  I've seen what some of these go for and in the famous words of Fred Flintstone, DO THEY THINK I'M MADE OF MONEY!?!?!?

• Like 1

When I was a kid it was RPGs. JRPGs, open world RPGs, etc. but nowadays I don’t have the time or mental energy after work. I still enjoy them, but I don’t play them as much as I used to.

Right now I’d say it’s 2D sidescrolling/action games like Shinobi 3, pre-SotN Castlevania, etc. but tile-matching puzzle games are creeping up big time. When the pandemic hit and I was stuck inside I was playing Animal Crossing and Tetris 99 and I got super into Tetris. Then I tried the arcade port of Puyo Puyo Tsu on Switch and fell in love with the competitive nature of it. Now I’m a huge fan of Puyo, Puzzle League, and of course Tetris. Wario’s Woods is another favorite of mine.

• Like 1

I play and enjoy a huge variety of games (just check the backlog thread for proof), but if I had to pick one, I'd probably go with 2D action platformers. I tend to lump all these types of games together, although you can definitely make a case for "pure platformers" as a separate genre.

For the sake of this thread, I'd include platforming focused games like SMB3, Super Meat Boy, DKC: TF, and Celeste as well the more action oriented titles like SotN, Ori, Cuphead, and Spelunky.

These types of games make up the majority of my top 25 and probably top 10.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted

If we're talking hours logged, easily RPG/MMO. I play a lot of single player RPGs and I love them, but I've dumped over 10,000 hours just between Runescape and Final Fantasy XIV alone. And that's ignoring WoW and MapleStory which I've put similar hours into, but prefer not to talk about lest they pull me back in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScaryD said:

I am a huge RPG player but as I have gotten older I have branched out to play a variety of games that I didn’t play as a kid such as Mega Man series, Castlevania series, etc.

Funny I'm in just the opposite boat...it's the JRPG genre (there's actually OTHER kinds???) that I'm a late bloomer on (started in 2013 with, what else?  DW1 and FF1 on NES) because I stupidly wasn't so sure about the whole turn based combat thing 😞 

• Like 1

Party Games are my Favourite, anything that I can enjoy locally with friends and family:

Some Favs: Towerfall, Runbow, Nintendoland, Sportsball, Jackbox, Rockband, Mario Kart 8, Wii Sports Resort, New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, Affordable Space Adventures, Bomberman, Power Stone 2, Virtua Tennis, Chu Chu Rocket, Bust a Move 4, so many fun games....

• Like 1

My current favourite genre is the “10-minute gaming sessions that satisfies”. The main games I’m playing are Defense Grid and Geometry Wars 2.

I currently don’t have the time nor energy to plow through hours of gaming which requires sigificant focus for level progression. Prior to this, my favorite genres were platformers and arcade fighting/shooting games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, noiseredux said:

turn based strategy stuff hooks me the deepest. Fire Emblem, XCOM, Advance Wars... all that stuff.

Have you played Master of Monsters (Genesis), Brigandine (PS1), Dark Wizard (Sega CD) and Nectaris (PS1)?  

Battle Worlds Kronos (Switch)  is extremely deep and very engaging.  One of the few console strategy games where the AI is not dumber than a box of rocks.

• Like 1