IGNORED

What game genre is your #1 ?

Nintegageo

34 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Have you played Master of Monsters (Genesis), Brigandine (PS1), Dark Wizard (Sega CD) and Nectaris (PS1)?  

Battle Worlds Kronos (Switch)  is extremely deep and very engaging.  One of the few console strategy games where the AI is not dumber than a box of rocks.

I haven't played any of those you mentioned. Though, all my current consoles are Nintendo only. I know that at least Nectaris is on Virtual Console, though.

Thanks for the heads up on Kronos. I've eyed it a few times, but never heard much about its quality one way or the other.

1 hour ago, noiseredux said:

I haven't played any of those you mentioned. Though, all my current consoles are Nintendo only. I know that at least Nectaris is on Virtual Console, though.

Thanks for the heads up on Kronos. I've eyed it a few times, but never heard much about its quality one way or the other.

Nectaris is pretty engaging - lotta gameplay since there are 104 scenarios - that often play out as puzzles as well as strategy ones.

Kronos often gets a bad rap since it somewhat off putting since it is pretty complex and you really have to pay attention to what you are doing.

The battles are real lengthy - sometimes for a few hours.  All of the battles are under fog of war (an attribute I really dislike) and on large battlefields so it is hard to plan out an overall strategy.  

A few things I like about it are that the air units have some limitations so they don't become overwhelming - and there is no way to achieve air superiority over the whole battlefield;  the naval units play an important part but again they don't overwhelm the game  and there is a nice rail system with rail guns that takes some getting used to - but they can help turn the tide of battle.

I can see where someone who wasn't very deep into strategy games wouldn't like it - but for fans of the genre it is A#1.

• Like 1

I love platformer adventure/RPGs (or Metroidvanias I guess). Not sure if it counts as my favorite, but there's SO much room for a game to shine when you combine platform/combat mechanics with enemy design, backtracking, inventory/equipment and level progression. Some of my favorites are the Castlevania DS games, but I liked Faxanadu and Blaster Master growing up. With the change to the overhead view in Blaster Master, I feel like it was really ahead of its time. If only you could save the game..

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Estil said:

I'm nearing the end of Disc 1 of Lunar Eternal Blue...you guys think Granada would be a good choice for my next one?  And/or Star Ocean 2?

I'm assuming you're thinking of Grandia? Granada is a shooter for MegaDrive.

But if you liked the Lunar games, I'd say the first Grandia is a no-brainer. Check out Skies of Arcadia, too.

5 hours ago, Sumez said:

I'm assuming you're thinking of Grandia? Granada is a shooter for MegaDrive.

But if you liked the Lunar games, I'd say the first Grandia is a no-brainer. Check out Skies of Arcadia, too.

Yeah, sorry; typo.  Well, Grandia does seem to check all the boxes...it's got cute chicks in your party, colorful graphics that shows off what the PS1 can do (even with sprite based RPGs they can be more colorful and crisper/sharper looking than on SNES), cute chicks in your party, it being on multiple discs (2) so it feels like you're getting your money's worth, oh yeah, I almost forgot...cute chicks in your party. 😄 

I sure do got much to catch up on for JRPGs don't I?

Edited by Estil