IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED Model Announced!

WalterWhiteJr.

It looks fine if you don't already have a Switch, but I don't see anything there to make me run out and spend another $350 when I already have the old one.  Still not 4k which is what all the rumors were suggesting. 

Edited by B.A.
  • Like 1

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, B.A. said:

It looks fine if you don't already have a Switch, but I don't see anything there to make me run out and spend another $350 when I already have the old one.  Still not 4k which is what all the rumors were suggesting. 

That's the thing, it seems like this is aimed at people who don't already have a Switch. Which, OK, that's completely fine... but I feel like the vast majority of people who want or would ever want a Switch already have one, which makes this super incremental upgrade a bit confusing to me. You'd think they'd want to tap in to the market of already existing Switch owners who are itching for more, but then again I don't run a however many billion dollar company so what do I know.

2 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

same here... but I don't really NEED it right now. Like, if it had some actual performance bumps, it'd be day one purchase for me. But right now, I have a Switch, my wife has a Lite. If she didn't, I'd buy this and give her my Switch. So instead, it's more of a wait until there's some super good deal on one kind of upgrade for me. Can't really justify the purchase, as nice as the new screen and kickstand may be.

Asking $50 more for fluff just isn't for me. This isn't some day and night upgrade like the GB to GB Pocket was or the GBA to the SP either.  I've commented before the shell of my Switch has been degrading due to its bad design with thin plastics and heat, so if it gets crappy enough I need (or strongly feel the need) to replace it, I'd grab this, but otherwise it's a waste.

That said, for a new buyer, I could see this make some waves.  This is the kind of upgrade for fanboys who have to get all models, to people who just held out due to how the original unit was, and not amused by the handheld only update the Lite did. This is the kind of upgrade that'll help nudge them into that 100M units sold level and over, to crest that Wii and come up on the DS.

On 7/6/2021 at 11:54 AM, Reed Rothchild said:

I was never gonna buy a second Switch, so I'm just glad they're not splitting the library like they did with the 3DS.

It took a long time to get there. It was OG 3DS, 3DS XL, 2DS, 2DS XL then *new 3DS with a handful of exclusives. Same thing happened with the DSi as it got exclusives as well.

This is more of a Switch XL than a redesign. No mention of Bluetooth which is annoying. For all the walking around, playing Switch they show in the advert idk why they don't think people would want to hear the music on the headphones that connect to every other device in the house through Bluetooth. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

No mention of Bluetooth which is annoying. For all the walking around, playing Switch they show in the advert idk why they don't think people would want to hear the music on the headphones that connect to every other device in the house through Bluetooth. 

Great point.  I wonder if they at least moved the headphone jack in a way that allows for using Bluetooth adapters that don't get in the way of the cart slot, and can remain in place while docked.  Seems like it would just be easier to add Bluetooth.  

Looked at the prices of the cheapest MS and Sony systems?

I hadn't thought of the competitions price.  In this case like I said, it's a basic pop up from like DMG to GBP or DS to DSLite.  A screen improvement, a few superficial fixes and minor upgrades to the optional services of the unit (a less flimsy healthy multipoint stand, the ethernet port (good if you have garbage wifi in your area), slightly bigger what .8" panel that happens to be OLED.  I mean sure if the OLED sipped power compared to what's there, sweet, but it's the same for some screwball reason if they're not underestimating it in reviews on purpose to play it safe.  It's just $50 higher for mostly fluff.  It's a premium to the Switch lite, maybe, if the plastics aren't as crap as the original where just heat causes them to crack near the vents and corners like the shield tablet does it's based on.

I have 99% no interest in it.  If my Switch finally gets too ragged where it doesn't make sense, I might fish for one later, but if I also start smelling blood in the water where sales start to fall and they urge a Pro onto the market in a 6mo period or whatever to stop the bleed, I'd avoid it too for that.  For all we know, that may be the plan too?  Discontinue the original, drop the OLED then once stock is depleted down to $300, and now consumers cozy with the added price will pay +50 for the Pro.  It almost makes too much sense.

On 7/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

That's the thing, it seems like this is aimed at people who don't already have a Switch. Which, OK, that's completely fine... but I feel like the vast majority of people who want or would ever want a Switch already have one, which makes this super incremental upgrade a bit confusing to me. You'd think they'd want to tap in to the market of already existing Switch owners who are itching for more, but then again I don't run a however many billion dollar company so what do I know.

I think they're trying to squeeze out that last bit of market share. First the handheld only and now the clearly upgraded handheld experience. 

At this point, I don't even know if there's going to be a switch pro. There's, what, over 1k games for it, it's going on year 6 of release and there's no major hardware revision? At this point I think the beefed up version has to be a different platform to stay relevant. How can you even make a relevant upgrade and have old systems play new games in the current landscape. It just doesn't seem to be feasible. 

At most I can see it be a PS2 of the bunch to where it hangs on with devs who see it as viable option. 

• Like 1