IGNORED

Nintendo Switch OLED Model Announced!

WalterWhiteJr.

What'd be the point? Such an upgrade mainly means 4k, such TVs are uncommon, and such resolution is useless for Nintendo games. I'd argue it's useless for any games as well as any video, your eyes cannot see that many pixels at normal view distance.
  • Disagree 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/18/2021 at 12:55 AM, erac said:

What'd be the point? Such an upgrade mainly means 4k, such TVs are uncommon, and such resolution is useless for Nintendo games. I'd argue it's useless for any games as well as any video, your eyes cannot see that many pixels at normal view distance.

Really?  I thought we had afforadble(ish) 4K TVs/monitors for awhile now...the problem is lack of TV programs and such that would benefit from them at all. 😞 

• Like 1

ATSC 3 implementation is coming, and with that most new TVs are going to be 4K. I remember the first hi-def TV in this house, difference in broadcast signal was drastic. Will this be relevant to Switch games? Perhaps not, but demand for hi-extrahi-depth picture is coming.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
1 hour ago, erac said:

4k tvs are affordable, but they don't have a wide install base. For obvious reasons, because there's not much need for them.

deb188a85158f241a1b775ab1dde72d3.png

e6832cfab9f074f5dd2e61ae44cd1aea.png

I dunno, 44% seems like a pretty good amount to me, although I dunno what you'd consider a "wide" install base. And you can definitely tell the difference between an HD TV and a 4K TV at standard viewing distances as long as you're actually looking at native 4K content, or at least I can. It may not be as substantial of a difference as the initial jump to HD was, but there's always going to be some diminishing returns with this sort of thing. 4K vs 8K is really when it starts to become questionable on whether or not you'd be able to tell that much of a difference, if anything.

• Agree 2

On 7/18/2021 at 7:55 AM, erac said:

This is one of the worst myths regarding 4K. I can easily see the difference between 1080p content and 4K on my TVs, and I'm sitting 10 feet from the screen.

• Agree 2

47 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

deb188a85158f241a1b775ab1dde72d3.png

e6832cfab9f074f5dd2e61ae44cd1aea.png

I dunno, 44% seems like a pretty good amount to me, although I dunno what you'd consider a "wide" install base. And you can definitely tell the difference between an HD TV and a 4K TV at standard viewing distances as long as you're actually looking at native 4K content, or at least I can. It may not be as substantial of a difference as the initial jump to HD was, but there's always going to be some diminishing returns with this sort of thing. 4K vs 8K is really when it starts to become questionable on whether or not you'd be able to tell that much of a difference, if anything.

Was going to post a similar thing.

I had a 1080 plasma tv and recently upgraded to an OLED 4K TV. I can 100% tell a difference between a game running in 1080 vs 4K. Same goes with true 4K movies (not the upscaled rubbish). 

I think 8k is where most people will struggle to notice the difference.

I don’t know the install base for 4K TVs in my country but I actually don’t know anyone who doesn’t have a 4K tv these days. 

• Agree 1

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, Shmup said:

I had a 1080 plasma tv and recently upgraded to an OLED 4K TV. I can 100% tell a difference between a game running in 1080 vs 4K. Same goes with true 4K movies (not the upscaled rubbish). 

I don’t know the install base for 4K TVs in my country but I actually don’t know anyone who doesn’t have a 4K tv these days. 

You've got a fancy pants OLED one too, we got a 4K TV back when quantum dot was the hot new thing and I can still tell there's a pretty substantial difference between 1080P and 4K content.

• Like 1

@ifightdragons: You don't mention screen size. If it's a 60 incher, then 10 feet is way too close and not normal view distance. 10ft would be normal view distance for a 32". I CBA to look up the physical limits of the eye, but it certainly exists and yes, it is crossed with these TVs at normal ranges.
  • Confused 2

And inb4 "I like to sit closer", it's fine to have your preference, I'm referring to general ergonomics guidelines that limit how much you have to turn your head and eyes when watching. If you have a huge screen and sit close, obviously more pixels will be visible to you.

Events Team · Posted
7 minutes ago, erac said:

10ft would be normal view distance for a 32".

Who the hell sits ten feet away from a 32" screen? Are those seriously the actual guidelines? I use a 32" PC monitor and I sit about a foot and a half away, and even at that distance I barely have to turn my head at all to use it, haha.

Honestly, even if those are the technical guidelines for recommended viewing distances, nobody in their right mind would actually sit that insanely far away from a screen of that size. Realistically, if people have a 55 - 65" screen, most people probably are going to sit around 10 or so feet away (or less) regardless of what the actual guidelines are. The guidelines are irrelevant if nobody actually follows them anyway.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted

Yeah, I did some quick Googling and every source I can find says that the ideal viewing distance for a 65" TV is actually less than 10 feet (7-9' seems to be the sweet spot depending on personal preference) so I definitely find the claim of 10 feet being the ideal viewing distance for a 32" TV a bit dubious, haha.

• Agree 1

erac: I know that you can read about these ergonomic guidelines online, and that you are citing legit sources. We've all read the same bs you have.

But, it's still a load of nonsense nonetheless. The recommended viewing distance is absolute horsesh*it advice, not taken seriously by anyone.

And if anyone can't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K on a normal sized TV (32" or larger), their eyesight is less than optimal, to say the least.

Edited by ifightdragons
  • Agree 1

Got my OLED switch, it came when I was out of town so I haven't had a ton of time to play it but am enjoying it so far.  The screen is so might brighter and the colors more vivid, the old screen wasn't bad but it looks like playing in a dark room compared to this.  Playing something like Streets of Rage 4 or Mario Kart really lets the colors pop.  It feels more solid with a metal base and some texture.  It was a bit squilly to get everything moved over but I did it.  Well worth the upgrade for double the on board memory and battery life.  Also having a white dock looks super sharp 😎

Deregister launch console

Move profile over to OLED while keeping a copy on launch console

Signing into eshop to register OLED as primary

Sending each save file from launch console, one by one to manually be received by the OLED going thru prompts on each system every time

Reformating the memory card for the new system which saves images and videos but deletes games

Redownloading games from the eshop (I just redownloaded a dozen I might play in the future)

Now if you intend to sell your old console, or have their cloud service it is easier.  But I wanted both consoles to be useable when my niece and nephew stop by.

I got mine in the mail yesterday but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I almost exclusively use my Switch in portable mode, so I'm excited to see how good the screen looks. Save transfer isn't really an issue since I pay for NSO which has cloud saves, which seems to work well for my Switch Lite.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 5:37 AM, Shmup said:

After 8k there will be no higher resolution tvs. Instead they will send the video feed directly into your brain. 🤩

Im joking but I’m not.

Edited by phart010
  • Haha 1

I got a OLED switch even though I've only had my "old" Switch for about a year and a half (will probably end up giving my old one to my Sister lol)

I like it a lot, feels a lot more solid then the old original? Might just because it's heavier with the bigger OLED in it lol

I do like the brighter screen and better battery life. Also those White joycons and white base just look crisp and clean lol

I didn't preorder it but got it at my place of work, which was last White OLED, still had 2 R&B ones (which have long since sold out)

On 7/6/2021 at 12:11 PM, ZeldaFreak said:

That's the thing, it seems like this is aimed at people who don't already have a Switch. Which, OK, that's completely fine... but I feel like the vast majority of people who want or would ever want a Switch already have one, which makes this super incremental upgrade a bit confusing to me. You'd think they'd want to tap in to the market of already existing Switch owners who are itching for more, but then again I don't run a however many billion dollar company so what do I know.

Honestly, the number of people who don't have a Switch and are still buying them is quite numerous. Even before the OLED original Switches sold out pretty regularly around me. Usually most big box stores had the odd Switch Lite on hand but even those usually got bought out. Still the same now. May be more indicative of the supply & demand of the pandemic but it's impressive none the less.

Also re: "Switch Pro" aka 4k support, I'd heard/read some where that options to upgrade exist within the OLEDs at least? Maybe I'm misremembering but to possibility of them in the future doesn't seem so far fetched.

• Like 1

I got one last weekend dumb luck and very happy considering the original one had design flaws and really was falling structurally (not functionally) apart.  Bad design by Nvidia that Nintendo rolled over as their comparable tablet it was made after had the same exactly flaws enough they did an optional recall to send it back for one that didn't get them.

The plastic on the thing is so non-heat tolerant and flimsy that it eventually just brittles and cracks it in all sorts of places, usually the fins up top for heat venting, near the ports(like charging), and eventually screw posts which can cause the back to pop away if enough go, and it would even warp a bit.  I never really saw it much when used as a handheld until after the initial damage was done, but dock play where the older tighter scratching prone thing clamped it enough I think it just got too hot on higher demand games caused it.

This new model feels more like a metal frame than plastic, the weight increase is noticeable, and the design of it, the vents, corners, screw posts, are all thicker and of a different material from the looks too.

That aside, what he said in the last post about the panel, man it fills the space.  The increased quality and now forward facing output of the speakers is very obviously richer and more defined, louder too.

I hope they start selling those white joycons.