IGNORED

VGS NES Weekly Contest - Dr. Mario

BeaIank

I have a relatively rare, recurring issue where I figure I must be double taping "A" or "B" because the pill will rotate twice and end up positioned wrong, but not once have I ever actually noticed a double tap.  I know it can't happen from just holding either button down.  It's a total wrench in the works at the beginning of a late level.  Very curious if anyone else experiences this as well?  

10 minutes ago, PII said:

I have a relatively rare, recurring issue where I figure I must be double taping "A" or "B" because the pill will rotate twice and end up positioned wrong, but not once have I ever actually noticed a double tap.  I know it can't happen from just holding either button down.  It's a total wrench in the works at the beginning of a late level.  Very curious if anyone else experiences this as well?  

I count my taps and listen to the noise and they work every time.

1 hour ago, mbd39 said:

Dr Mario is tedious and takes so long. Tetris is way better.

Little bit of unfair comparison when we start dr mario level 0 and started tetris at 18. Tetris would have been long had we started at zero same way, especially for someone like you who can get into the 20s. I like the ruleset here, but your gripe is with the ruleset much more than the game itself. 

14 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Little bit of unfair comparison when we start dr mario level 0 and started tetris at 18. Tetris would have been long had we started at zero same way, especially for someone like you who can get into the 20s. I like the ruleset here, but your gripe is with the ruleset much more than the game itself. 

Fair point about it being the ruleset. But even starting Tetris at level 0 it isn't as tedious as this. Dr Mario will waste your time by constantly giving pieces you don't need. Sometimes I'll get the same color piece like 10 times in a row.

Graphics Team · Posted
3 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Okay, all I wanted was to break 200k this week and I did. I'm happy.

Dr Mario is tedious and takes so long. Tetris is way better.

Siiick! I was pumped just to break 100k haha.

I couldn't even get the participation score for Tetris last time. But to be honest, that made it really fun for me - striving just to get on the board.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CasualCart said:

Siiick! I was pumped just to break 100k haha.

I couldn't even get the participation score for Tetris last time. But to be honest, that made it really fun for me - striving just to get on the board.

-CasualCart

I think I was right there with you on wondering if Id make participation. This one I had more hopes for though. Couldnt point rack like bert, but who can. Should be able to get close to level 20 though.

BUT I left my NES in Michigan and the backup toploader suddenly doesnt work. It fires up fine, but I tried 5 controllers last night and none of them functioned with it. Most dpad worked but A and B do nothing. Its not the controllers. I dont know if its repairable. Hoping the local shop will let me rent one for the weekend, but thats a shot in the dark

Graphics Team · Posted
9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

I think I was right there with you on wondering if Id make participation. This one I had more hopes for though. Couldnt point rack like bert, but who can. Should be able to get close to level 20 though.

BUT I left my NES in Michigan and the backup toploader suddenly doesnt work. It fires up fine, but I tried 5 controllers last night and none of them functioned with it. Most dpad worked but A and B do nothing. Its not the controllers. I dont know if its repairable. Hoping the local shop will let me rent one for the weekend, but thats a shot in the dark

Brutal - I feel your pain. My NES and all my games are stuck in storage at my family's house in the US. But I managed to teach my parents how to dump ROMs over a video call, so they've been able to send me most of my collection digitally for the time being haha. I can't wait for border restrictions to ease-up so I can get my physical games back and see my family in person again.

-CasualCart

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I played a bit last night on Switch and shhhiiit I’m rusty.  It’s a good thing I love this game so much and can play it pretty much indefinitely.  Gonna have to do it on real hardware cause that’s where all my years of practice lie.  

My wife, then fiancée, bought me a sealed Dr. Mario for $120 loonie money in Jan 2020 when we were browsing at a game store.  I didn’t even notice it was sealed on first glance in the case - lookin like quite a steal now!!!

• Like 2