IGNORED

McDonald's is bringing back classic Happy Meal toys Nov. 7 to Nov. 11

Teh_Lurv

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first-ever Happy Meal, McDonald's is launching the Surprise Happy Meal with some of its most popular Happy Meal toys from the last four decades. This limited-edition offering will be available in more than 90 countries around the world at participating McDonald's restaurants beginning Thursday, Nov. 7 through Monday, Nov. 11, while supplies last.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/theyre-back-mcdonalds-introduces-the-limited-edition-surprise-happy-meal-featuring-iconic-throwback-toys-from-the-past-40-years-300949564.html

The list of returning toys:

• Cowboy McNugget (McDonald's): 1988
  • Fireman McNugget (McDonald's): 1988
  • Mail Carrier McNugget (McDonald's): 1988
  • Hamburger Changeable (McDonald's): 1989
  • Grimace (McDonald's): 1990
  • Dino Happy Meal Box Changeable (McDonald's): 1991
  • McDonald's Hot Wheels Thunderbird (Mattel): 1993
  • Hamburglar (McDonald's): 1995
  • Power Rangers (Hasbro): 1995
  • Space Jam Bugs Bunny (Warner Brothers): 1996
  • Patti the Platypus (Ty Beanie Baby): 1997
  • 101 Dalmatians – U.S. Exclusive (Disney): 1997
  • Tamagotchi (Bandai): 1998
  • My Little Pony (Hasbro): 1998
  • Furby (Hasbro): 1999
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey – U.S. Exclusive (Disney): 2002
  • Hello Kitty (Sanrio): 2013

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 7:34 PM, themisfit138 said:

I have all the original changeables. Recently found them in a box of my old stuff from Dad’s house. 

I'm not sure if I have ALL of them, as I haven't double checked against a list, but I have at least "most" of 2 different year's worth from back in the day.

Same for McNuggets -- probably have 2 or 3 years worth of them.

48 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'm not sure if I have ALL of them, as I haven't double checked against a list, but I have at least "most" of 2 different year's worth from back in the day.

Same for McNuggets -- probably have 2 or 3 years worth of them.

Looking at the picture I am missing the Big Mac. There are a different variations on the fries and hot cakes. 

2990F25E-EEB5-4EE1-8D25-C930A1FE6727.thumb.jpeg.e8e95ca85f34c57452ed0366e6ebb5fe.jpeg

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

Looking at the picture I am missing the Big Mac. There are a different variations on the fries and hot cakes. 

2990F25E-EEB5-4EE1-8D25-C930A1FE6727.thumb.jpeg.e8e95ca85f34c57452ed0366e6ebb5fe.jpeg

There isn't just the Big Mac, there is at least one version of a foam-pack Quarter Pounder, and another out of the pack burger/sandwich that isn't a big mac.

There are at least 2 or 3 versions of the milkshake, as well -- there is the "fold out / tall" guy and there is more of a "clamshell" that slides open.

I may be missing the hotcakes, as that doesn't look familiar.

I won't get to it tonight, but I'll try and get a picture of my "collection" this weekend, to share.

Edited by arch_8ngel

13 hours ago, Astor Reinhardt said:

I got super excited but then I realized...limited amounts...what are the chances I'd get them? This stuff will probably sell out fast because nostalgia...so I'm actually going to skip it...as weird as that is for me to say...since this just appeals to me so damn much.

I think your chances are pretty good assuming you don't wait until the evening of the 11th. From the press release these are going to be normal toys packed with every happy meal for that weekend.

Edited by Teh_Lurv

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

There isn't just the Big Mac, there is at least one version of a foam-pack Quarter Pounder, and another out of the pack burger/sandwich that isn't a big mac.

There are at least 2 or 3 versions of the milkshake, as well -- there is the "fold out / tall" guy and there is more of a "clamshell" that slides open.

I may be missing the hotcakes, as that doesn't look familiar.

I won't get to it tonight, but I'll try and get a picture of my "collection" this weekend, to share.

There are series 1 and 2 of the actual robots, plus a series of dinosaurs that the food items changed into.  The above pic is pretty dino heavy from what I can tell, with all three hotcakes, the happy meal box, and the middle box of large fries being part of that series.  I want to say the drink is too, but it's been so long since I've had my set of series 1-2 robots in-hand that I couldn't tell you from just a glance.

Edit:  Following the blog links from the Wikipedia link below, I can say that the shake cup in the photo is one of the dinos based on the cutouts on top.

There definitely was a hotcakes robot, but I can't recall which series it was in.  There were paint variations of a couple of the robots--large fries for sure, and I want to say the Big Mac?

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article about them all.  Apparently they were called "Changeables," with the first two series being the robots, then the dinos rounding them out at the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeables

Edit 2:  Here's a good link to photos of all 3 series, since the series 1 & 2 links from Wikipedia are now broken.  https://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/mcdonalds-changeables/

Edited by darkchylde28

11 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

There are series 1 and 2 of the actual robots, plus a series of dinosaurs that the food items changed into.  The above pic is pretty dino heavy from what I can tell, with all three hotcakes, the happy meal box, and the middle box of large fries being part of that series.  I want to say the drink is too, but it's been so long since I've had my set of series 1-2 robots in-hand that I couldn't tell you from just a glance.

Edit:  Following the blog links from the Wikipedia link below, I can say that the shake cup in the photo is one of the dinos based on the cutouts on top.

There definitely was a hotcakes robot, but I can't recall which series it was in.  There were paint variations of a couple of the robots--large fries for sure, and I want to say the Big Mac?

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article about them all.  Apparently they were called "Changeables," with the first two series being the robots, then the dinos rounding them out at the end.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changeables

Edit 2:  Here's a good link to photos of all 3 series, since the series 1 & 2 links from Wikipedia are now broken.  https://dinosaurdracula.com/blog/mcdonalds-changeables/

Thanks for the link.  I never had any of the dinosaur changeables, just the original robots.

Looks like I have a complete set of the first year, and I'm missing hot cakes and the "small fry" robot from the second year.

Pretty surprised we never ended up with any of the dinosaurs, because we had a pretty robust collection of McDonald's toys.

EDIT: and the pics in the link don't cover it, but there are a number of "paint variants" for each year with different colors from what is shown.

I think you're right that both the big mac and fries had multiple paint options -- wouldn't surprise me if that was true for the entire set.

Edited by arch_8ngel