IGNORED

The new breed of collectors thread

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 3:44 PM, MiamiSlice said:

Let me tell you what I cannot fathom: people who spend years trying to track down a game, sometimes at a reasonable price, sometimes waiting until they can finally afford it, and then they are like "I can finally play this game!" Like, wtf? Just emulate it! JUST EMULATE IT! I mean I have my dumb reasons for collecting authentic games but if I ever just want to play a retro game I have zero qualms about emulating it. 

Playing devil's advocate a bit here, but playing an authentic copy just hits differently. Also - this is just me being weird - I kind of like abstaining from a game until I own it, I feel like it gives me a reason to continue collecting. When I was a kid I used to love picking up games at yard sales for the sake of playing something new. This was pre-internet for me so it was a fun gamble. To this day my everdrive only has the games I actually own on it. That's bound to change some day. 

• Like 2

Thanks for bringing this topic to light.

To those reading this in the future. Please stop flooding the market with reproduction games. 

It's going to get to the point (it already has?) where you can't buy a game in person without a security bit on you to check the board. 

I'm sure you could tell it's a reproduction by holding it, but still.... there's going to come a time when these all leak out as "real" games then people will be crying all over Facebook about how "they got ripped off" and blah blah blah when the person before them didn't even know they were fake. 

Please don't buy fake games. 

Load up that Everdrive if you want to play a game using the NES system/controller. 

14 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

Load up that Everdrive if you want to play a game using the NES system/controller. 

as several folks have said in this thread, though. The Everdrive/etc doesn't appeal to all. I know that we're probably talking in circles at this point. So I hate to repeat things again, but, sure I prefer actual legit games. And I've taken to buying imports of NES/SNES games and patching them into English on my Retron5 personally, which feels "legit" to me (as I'm not really concerned with COLLECTING).

On the flip, I recently bought a super cheap bootleg of Magical Chase on GBC. The cart is BRIGHT YELLOW and there's zero chance that if it was in the wild it would fool anyone into thinking "oh, this is real, I better drop $400 on it." To me, that's a win-win. I "own" a Magical Chase GBC cart in some capacity; it makes me happy to have it added to my library of games; and it's very super obviously a bootleg and not a phony trying to trick anyone.

• Agree 2

Thanks @noiseredux you nailed it on the head, both paragraphs.  I own the kits, and even I find them more often than not still distasteful to use.  It's why I have a few hundred games or so still, they have real value, not some digital vapor of no consequence I can just tab,reset and dump for another.  Great for dodging a bullet on a random scam price game, more so for homebrew, amateur ports, and other interesting bits (including like PocketNES or GOomba Color for GBA bringing that on the road.)

That very game, I've considered a boot of that, I had been of Shantae until LRG did the release so I grabbed that instead (and recently dumped a copy for backup which I don't believe is public.)  I don't recall if I ever saw Magical Chase in yellow, but I have seen gray(og gameboy) and translucent blue which looks sweet.  I'd be happy to own that, some $20-30 copy is fine by me because paying 10-20x that for a real one is a joke.  Not like the developer is getting a slice.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/20/2021 at 1:10 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Its been a while 

On 10/20/2021 at 8:18 PM, Tanooki said:

Those look good, from the outside at least, curious about the materials.

5 minutes ago, Teh_Lurv said:

The artwork looks good, but viewing that last pic of the Ninja Gaiden box sides zoomed in I have the gut feeling the boxes will have a different texture feel to them that gives them away as a fake.

These high quality NES repros have been available for several years now and they are tough to spot. They even have grey cardboard. The differences are really in the fine details such as the way the real cardboard frays and the compression marks from being packaged. Be careful out there kiddos.

• Like 1

I was just looking at some repro boxes on a popular social media site with a market, and some of them looked really good and were available in grey cardboard.  I was considering them for some of the translation-patched games that interest me.  I don't really have any interest in repro boxes for already-released games.  If I'm missing a game box, I like BitBoxes to store my carts and have on the shelf.

14 minutes ago, VegHead said:

I was just looking at some repro boxes on a popular social media site with a market, and some of them looked really good and were available in grey cardboard.  I was considering them for some of the translation-patched games that interest me.  I don't really have any interest in repro boxes for already-released games.  If I'm missing a game box, I like BitBoxes to store my carts and have on the shelf.

What are BitBoxes?  Might be something to look at for the repros I've been making...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, the_wizard_666 said:

What are BitBoxes?  Might be something to look at for the repros I've been making...

Me: Gee, I would sure love a Super BitBox for Christmas!

Parents: Don't you already have a BitBox?

Me: But this is a SUPER Bitbox!  It's 16-bit!

Parents: What's that?

Me:  Uhhh....uhhh...ahhh...

(sorry I couldn't resist)

• Haha 1

The also teamed up with thecoverproject.net to get printable artwork available for a whole mess of games and systems since the dimensions are different than a UGC. 

It's worth pointing out, these are much more akin to the old Disney VHS clamshells than they are to a hard plastic. I am fine with that because they're molded to already fit the carts and have nice room for paperwork, but they probably won't take a dropkick like a UGC would have. I find the benefits outweigh that, but I also want folks to know that prior. I didn't realize it until I got them, and had to readjust my expectations. Even so, I am still buying more and using them. Just got one finished for my Sweet Home fc cart

Editorials Team · Posted
1 minute ago, VegHead said:

I haven't come across the Shadowfox cases before. Do they have molded compartments for different systems' carts?

Yes

https://www.customgamecases.com/online-store/Super-Nintendo-Entertainment-System-Super-Famicom-SNES-SFC-Blank-Game-Case-p132320262