IGNORED

The new breed of collectors thread

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, the_wizard_666 said:

The lack of a bulk discount makes me less inclined to buy them...especially given the exchange rate and international shipping.  They do look like the best option, but I'd probably go with the BitBoxes for the bulk discount 😛

That's too bad.  They had bulk options last I checked.  In fact my order of 100 was only like $210...  things change I guess.

1 minute ago, Reed Rothchild said:

That's too bad.  They had bulk options last I checked.  In fact my order of 100 was only like $210...  things change I guess.

It seems that way.  I was like "wonder how much you save per unit" and the bulk price is identical to the unit price 😕  Never seen that before...like, why put a bulk option then?

• Like 1

$200 at once sure, then not a lot of room for excuse, but $200 over a year?  Different story completely.

Let's face it, we have no reason other than greed at this rate anymore, personal greed, to be ok with what has been going on, so I find it pretty tasteless to be ripping on people on reddit because they too don't want to pay some grifter like $300 for a SNES cart of all things when there are multiple alternatives.  Some may be ok and could afford the price, but on principle refuse, others may just don't want a flash kit, others even yet may just want a few one offs and put personal value in that having invested into it as if it were an original, and as such will actually enjoy it.  There are lots of choices and motivations here.  We really shouldn't be crapping on someone who wants to pay one form of a thief basically $20 for a 1:1 clone or another crook $200 for a legit copy.  In both cases the developer isn't get shit out of it, at least the fake if it's not some mass run chinese thing, had someone put some personal work into it at least. 😉

I am not saying this as a dismissal on what anybody else is saying. 😩

But I should note that I have been relying on permanent disability since December, 2011. And to enjoy both life and whatever I feel comfortable collecting, I have been trying to start a business since January, 2013.

So all I can say until the day I say "Fuck it, I give up on you guys!" is that those who actually collect anything should remember to create a budget. As opposed to just bitching about greed, and every other lame excuse needed to disrespect your collection by cutting corners and buying a filler as a permanent piece.

But if your goals are to play it, and have no regards to its fate... Cut that fucking corner. 😩

As for the bitching, I dealt with it directly. With one claiming that those who had their nice loose figures graded were collecting them wrong. And his excuses for buying KO was tied to them, with no regards to their means and reasons to get those pieces. In a topic that had nothing to do with his excuses, attacks, etc.

All I can say is that using others to defend your collecting style is still bullshit. And will make the rest no better in the long run. 😩

(And BTW, I tried to collect imports because it as cheaper. So... Yeah.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Budgeting or not, paying the extortionate prices now isn't collecting, it's masochism.  But hey it's your money even if you budget so if you like being pounded in the ass that's fine.  But the argument can easily be said, if you can afford $200/mo for games, do you want ONE game over a few months, or maybe a few games every month you'd find equally enjoyable if not more?  Would you be happy losing out on a lot of experiences buying an old copy from a grifter just because it's real?  Seems like a poor life choice when there are alternatives, even if one of them looks 1:1 on the outside and obviously isn't internally.

I can say you defending budgeting as an excuse is an equal level of bullshit too.  You're basically saying... I know it's a ripoff, but I can save up so whatever, at least it's real.... and?  Look at the alternatives and think how foolish that move was within this weird hyper inflation bubble games are under right now as it's sick.  If you're curious what I'm throwing around with those two words, hyper inflation is when you can look at the price of a good from a previous month, and see that it has since shot up some 50% or more in such a limited spread of time and then sustains or hyper inflates further.  Games are as of 18mo ago or so within this scary realm.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

@Tanooki, no offense but all your entire response is both condescending, with your lack of properly using the word "masochism" having your unneeded defense lack both insight and merits. It also shows how you only care about your wants, even at the expense of you mocking other collectors that worked hard on their own collections.

Here is the literal definition for the word "masochism":

mas·och·ism /ˈmasəˌkizəm,ˈmazəˌkizəm/ (noun)

- the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from one's own pain or humiliation.
(in general use) the enjoyment of what appears to be painful or tiresome.

In all cases tied to this, your behavior merits the benefits of me being non-neurotypical. And because I never got to experience the life you take for granted, I also had the time to realize that the only "defense" a KO collector is one of three quotes:

Quite #1: "Those KO items are part of my niche collection."

Quote #2: "Those KO items are part of my focus collection."

Quote #3: "Those KO items are part of my personal interest."

All three quotes are based on interviews, blogs, etc. from those who spent whatever amount of time it took for them to build their dream collection. And unlike me, they were not punished for their attempts at being a collector, etc. Along with those who found valid reasons to include literal KOs into their collections.

Plus your literal "Fuck you." to me was also well received.

As such, feel free to ignore the fact that the humility and abuse I endure is masochistic in nature. Along with the reality that I disagree with your excuses, not the fact there are reasons that allow anybody to keep KOs in their collections. 🍺

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

But the argument can easily be said, if you can afford $200/mo for games, do you want ONE game over a few months, or maybe a few games every month you'd find equally enjoyable if not more

My game budget is actually about $100 a month and I usually spend it all on one game unless something current comes out. Hell, half the time I spend $200-300 on a game and then don't buy one for a few months.

I know I'm in the vast minority in that I have most of the games I even want to spend money on already, but for me the choice is simple. Id rather have way fewer games that are quality than a bunch of over priced door stops.

Or I would go the import route. I wanted SMB 1,2&3 CIB so I got all three in great shape for Famicom for like $60 shipped a few years back. Saturn is notorious for the imports being sold at a discount.

So for me, I honestly have trouble even putting myself into the shoes of someone who buys fake games. I would understand it more if they bought the hardware to make their own repros and shit. At least then I would consider it to be a hobby.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, FenrirZero said:

@Tanooki, no offense but all your entire response is both condescending, with your lack of properly using the word "masochism" having your unneeded defense lack both insight and merits. It also shows how you only care about your wants, even at the expense of you mocking other collectors that worked hard on their own collections.

Here is the literal definition for the word "masochism":

mas·och·ism /ˈmasəˌkizəm,ˈmazəˌkizəm/ (noun)

- the tendency to derive pleasure, especially sexual gratification, from one's own pain or humiliation.
(in general use) the enjoyment of what appears to be painful or tiresome.

*snip*

Nope by your definition I did use it correctly, being sexual is just one it tends to get tied to, but not in this case.  Some people here, and game ownership of old stuff in general seem to very deeply get some deep seeded high levels of pleasure from their own pain and humiliation in what they're paying on this old stuff.  The pain being the nasty hit to their personal budget, but also the pain and humiliation when others who aren't as deeply into it(or get it at all) find out and judge their insane logic in going down that road.

You're generalizing on the knockoff stuff, but that also would align with trying to cover ones own tracks in justification, you've done it plenty here, but given the point of this place it wouldn't be one to call out obviously. 🙂  I pity you honestly, due to that last part you said, you're projecting when it comes to excuses.

@RegularGuyGamer Totally agree, less IS more.  And you're on it, even if that is rapidly sadly fading away, that imports are a very good route to take to get something here that has been pushed too far.  $60 for all 3 complete, or what like $600 plus for one of those complete or whatever it could be now.  Same game, same general mechanics, maybe a little unreadable text here and there depending on skill.  Why not right?  Like you I too have most of what I could want as I was in good fortune to ride the months before the wave ruined one system after another for most of what I lacked.  Sure there are a few pieces, not the actual games largely, and well...oh well to that, I'm just not that dumb with my money.  I don't need $1000 cardboard and paper w/staples.  If I could find a nice 1:1 quality place holder I would at this rate if I cared enough.

• Eyeroll 1

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I pity you honestly, due to that last part you said, you're projecting when it comes to excuses.

Your entire response, as your tone, is condescending. With none of your own excuses required as nobody is attacking your collection just because it has a repro here or a KO there.

Edited point being made here is that your attitude is the issue, not the items you collect.

And also... Thanks for mocking the person I used to see you as being here. That version gave me the strength to work past my CIB Wii game fiasco. As in the Dragon Quest one. 👍

Edited by FenrirZero
  • Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 12:21 AM, the_wizard_666 said:

If you think paying retail prices is a ripoff, then don't pay them.  People can collect anything they want.  I mean shit, there've been people actively collecting bootleg carts as long as I've been collecting.  If they're happy with it, who gives a shit?

I agree. Which is why I have issues with those who spend more time using others as an excuse to own something like that, as opposed to just saying that it is a compromise that makes them happy.

In my case I am finally finding some success when it comes to me collecting anything. I can simply blame others for my past failures, just like there are those who accuse sellers of being sadists. And that sadism is the reason why they collect these things. That is not being happy, or promoting their happiness. Which is the main issue here.

Then again... I started two sub-focuses because pre-release Razer Crest prices have more than doubled on eBay. But don't expect me to complain because it still gives me that "budget friendly" NES-ish* uniformed look I wanted from the very start. 🍺

[*: Same dimensions, variants allowed, retro/vintage feeling, blah blah blah.]

• Like 1

Sorry for the triple post. And the long comment.

In Buddhism, the teachings of the "Middle Way" states that people often take two paths. One of these paths involve those who seek out sensory-related pleasures, even if it means they can lose both money and the things they could earn. The other path, which can be described as a non-sexual masochistic path, has those who want to fit in experience the same while being punished for their attempts at fitting in. With me being an example of the latter.

Masochism is the art of enjoying the act of being punished in exchange of them gaining a sensory delight they want then and there. In this topic's case, it is always self-inflicted. On the end of the KO and repro collectors, they are punishing themselves by expressing the lack of joy on having what they want. And with the rest, it is the aftermath that comes when you pay a hefty fee just to have what you aimed for right away (as opposed to buying it a month later).

Sadism is tied to masochism, but it is done by those who feel a sensory delight when they punish others. In this topic's case, those who punish others for not being 100% compliant on what they want to read/hear. And do so by acting like they are superior enough that their responses are more factual than the ones made by a neutral party. All because their sensory delights are more important than those who try to be their friend, try to respect them, et cetera.

The point I am going with this? Simple.

A collection that you build is an extended narration on who you truly are. Because of that truth, it is easier to shove a dog shit in a Wata case and call it a "9.8 A++" game than it is to get people authentically interested in what you are collecting. Which means that every person who collects has two options:

Option #1: Create a narration that has those who do not disagree with everything you collect have a reason to respect it. This requires you, the collector, to promote sincere hope that you can upgrade on anything that you own for the time being. (This is one example I have learned from many toy collecting bloggers, BTW.)

Option #2: Create a behavior that pisses people off and excuse it because you think your self-proclaimed status allows it. This decision has you to blame if those who tried being your friend, or even just respect you, treats your future pick-ups as an ego stroke. As one that is a contending sensory delight for online sadists.

The long run is that Buddhism says that if you cannot obtain what you desire, you should find peace in what you can obtain. This means that you should see sellers as either a path you should consider taking, or one that you must avoid. And if you obtain something that makes you happy, promote the reasons that make you happy to those who object. Just know that using others as a reason why you got it is not a promotion of happiness.

Because in the end, the experiences of having it is more important than how much you spent or saved. It helps you know what can be done differently in one form or another. Saying otherwise is just you going the wrong way when it comes to what you are trying to accomplish. Because as the Armorer says, "This is the way." 🍺

(And on a less serious note... @OptOut needs to create a Cyberpunk 2077 version of himself. With a vagina. Just because by that time he'd have to keep his promise because a Wata 9.8 A++ copy of Super Mario 64 would be low-balling at $500,000 USD. And that version of him might have the same promise. 😁)

• Like 1

It's getting serious in here,  lol. I can only add that when I had time to play games, I had no money. Inexpensive Repros would have been a good option if retro games were this expensive at that point in my life.

Now I have more money and no time, so one game for $300 isn't the end of the world because I have the cash and it will take months to get to it. Seeing it on the shelf is enjoyable. 

I think most people buying repros just want to play the one or two games and have an object to display.  It's not that big of a deal.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, ConfusedCollector said:

It's getting serious in here,  lol. I can only add that when I had time to play games, I had no money. Inexpensive Repros would have been a good option if retro games were this expensive at that point in my life.

Now I have more money and no time, so one game for $300 isn't the end of the world because I have the cash and it will take months to get to it. Seeing it on the shelf is enjoyable. 

I think most people buying repros just want to play the one or two games and have an object to display.  It's not that big of a deal.  

Ironically speaking, I have gone the ROM route for as long as I can remember (as per my PC days). It is also why I bought digital games for playing, and imports for collecting. Even though I dropped the imports part a while back. It has become a "You miss the preorder for a first print, $300 might sound generous." ordeal these days.

But that aside, I have issues with those who are self-entitled. On both sides. Because... Of reasons. That had me try to use both a Eastern religion after I failed to promote a psychologically neutral standpoint. 😅

• Haha 1

On 11/4/2021 at 11:02 AM, FenrirZero said:

On the end of the KO and repro collectors, they are punishing themselves by expressing the lack of joy on having what they want.

I just bought all of these tonight, I guess somehow I'm punishing myself or not experiencing joy?

IMG20211105195335.jpg

• Love 1
  • Confused 1

I’ll say it again, no one is really bashing against the collectors of repros, it’s more about the concerns of the 1:1 repros/clones. 

This isn’t about the debate on “should people be able to collect what they want to collect?” Because I think we mostly all agree that the answer is “YES”. 

More to the point, buyers who spend 3-5 figures, you can call them idiots, masochists or whatever, but at least they know what they’re setting themselves up for when spending that kind of amount. As long as the item is described, they only have themselves to blame henceforth.

On the other hand, 1:1 repros when being sold by dodgy sellers, there is a HUGE risk for future buyers down the track to be fooled, particularly the inexperienced collectors. I’m already seeing a lot of dodgy listings with really good repro boxes, in the guise of “like new condition” without bothering to mention it’s a repro. By being more accepting of 1:1 repros, you are effectively saying “I welcome dodgy sellers to do more dodgy stuff”. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@fcgamer Score, and I see that top one on the right stack there too, damn good game I never got around to picking up.  Whether patently obvious or not, there's nothing wrong with bootlegs, especially in the current hyper inflation environment we're suffering.  If that's punishment, enjoy the beating the severely fun beating those games will entail. 😄

At this point it's best just to not care who gets offended, say your piece, stick to it, and that's that.  At this rate falling on the side of original stuff how it has gone and being ok feeding that beast just makes no sense.  All the better to clone that stuff as perfectly as possible to enjoy it as it basically was, while not, because you value your money than feeding a troll. 

There wouldn't be a need for such copies if this crap hadn't got out of control, that's why for so long the piracy capital of globe there in HK never tried to make most excellent undetectable external clones.  They could have, but there was no motive, given they had all the equipment from production of the legit goods.

• Disagree 1

14 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I just bought all of these tonight, I guess somehow I'm punishing myself or not experiencing joy?

No offense, but you know that was a sarcastic statement... Right? 🤨

And an old one as well. Because that was said some time after my lone used game seller sold a Famicom style multi-cart that I was not sure you owned. So maybe you are punishing yourself for not experiencing the joy of knowing me better? 🤔

6 hours ago, GPX said:

I’ll say it again, no one is really bashing against the collectors of repros, it’s more about the concerns of the 1:1 repros/clones. 

This isn’t about the debate on “should people be able to collect what they want to collect?” Because I think we mostly all agree that the answer is “YES”. 

More to the point, buyers who spend 3-5 figures, you can call them idiots, masochists or whatever, but at least they know what they’re setting themselves up for when spending that kind of amount. As long as the item is described, they only have themselves to blame henceforth.

On the other hand, 1:1 repros when being sold by dodgy sellers, there is a HUGE risk for future buyers down the track to be fooled, particularly the inexperienced collectors. I’m already seeing a lot of dodgy listings with really good repro boxes, in the guise of “like new condition” without bothering to mention it’s a repro. By being more accepting of 1:1 repros, you are effectively saying “I welcome dodgy sellers to do more dodgy stuff”. 

^ 100% THIS.

First off, WE are members of VGS. If anybody here wants to put anything before that reality, feel free to move to a video game collector forum that encourages it. Our opinions matter, but are not an excuse to be an elitist or anything that demeans  those you disagree with in any possible way.

Those who are too lazy to just ask for a clarification need to apologize to everybody. Because again, you have the right to collect what makes you happy. You don't have a right to be an asshole to those who say something you may have taken out of context. Nor have the right to make excuses for any reason, or result.

All I can say is that the shit I have read, and was forced to experience, include things that have killed the joy of collecting video games. With those who have done it not caring because others allow it. And that is a problem because it takes away any normalcy I work hard at gaining in the end. And done for most of my life.

Moving on...

As with what GPX has stated, those who have to deal with these type of risks are 100% fine when the collector in question does not use others as an excuse. More than the 'promise' they would not try to screw over the next owner if they can get a real copy in the end. And that is from a guy who has been dealing with this for a long time.

In the end, I feel that two people here owe me an apology. With one owing it to others as well. And those who antagonized them should apologize. Because this is VGS, not a poorly run babysitter service.

That is all I will say because you guys have it easy. 😩