IGNORED

F you John Cena

OptOut

I feel like a part of society has died today.

a) I also didn't know Taiwan is not a country, this isn't something everyone knows.

b) Some random person on the internet also mentioned it incorrectly. Who cares?

c) Chinese people actually got upset? Why?

d) A random person on an internet video game forum got extremely upset with some other random person for not knowing a piece of land 12,000 kilometres away is not its own country. Why?

I talk to people all the time that think America (a continent) is a country. Who cares?

• Eyeroll 8

Taiwan IS a country, just because China claims it is not and part of them doesn't make it true no matter how much money, fear tactics or military threatened might they toss around.  It was a country before the CCP took it over, and hopefully stays one after that rats nest of feces eats it.  That's like saying Tibet isn't one, we all know it is, despite what China did taking it over to expand.

It's not a random person, it's an actor/wrestler with millions of followers, who so happens to be a pussy it appears as he basically back pedaled probably with threats of losing some big bucks in business China is tied up into.  And no it's not the Chinese people who got angry, ti's the CCP who got pissed, and they lash out with the propaganda wing who can get pretty ugly about things.

And that angry random person lives in said country and as he said, has citizens of that country as family and created family there too. A nd I'm sure the other random person (fcgamer) probably get hot seeing this too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, OptOut said:

No, but my wife and kids are, and Taiwan is my home. 😤

Why is it important if a random person on the internet knows if it's a country?

Can you name the most northerly, southerly, westerly and easterly states in the USA? Should I be infuriated if you don't?

Hint: 3 of them are the same state.

• Haha 1
  • Eyeroll 3

4 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Why is it important if a random person on the internet knows if it's a country?

Can you name the most northerly, southerly, westerly and easterly states in the USA? Should I be infuriated if you don't?

Hint: 3 of them are the same state.

Because John Cena is a world famous movie star, and attitudes like his and others from Hollywood, big business, and international organisations continue to wither Taiwan's influence and access to the global community.

Case in point... China has been blocking other countries from selling us covid vaccines. Now, while covid is on the way out in other countries, it is on the rise here. People are DYING in my community, and my family and my business are in jeopardy because of Taiwan's diminished status.

That is why I fucking care.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Because John Cena is a world famous movie star, and attitudes like his and others from Hollywood, big business, and international organisations continue to wither Taiwan's influence and access to the global community.

Case in point... China has been blocking other countries from selling us covid vaccines. Now, while covid is on the way out in other countries, it is on the rise here. People are DYING in my community, and my family and my business are in jeopardy because of Taiwan's diminished status.

That is why I fucking care.

Trust me, nobody cares about anything any actor says. Professional wrestlers aren't exactly geography experts.

It seems like it would be pretty impossible to block an entire country from purchasing billions of dollars worth of life saving medicine. There would be United Nations investigations up the ass.

• Eyeroll 4
  • Angry 2

Just now, Code Monkey said:

Trust me, nobody cares about anything any actor says. Professional wrestlers aren't exactly geography experts.

It seems like it would be pretty impossible to block an entire country from purchasing billions of dollars worth of life saving medicine. There would be United Nations investigations up the ass.

Incorrect.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/pressure-accept-china-vaccines-intensifies-taiwan-battles-covid-surge-2021-05-24/

China is trying to force Taiwan to accept shipments of it's shitty vaccines (approx 50% effective: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/efficacy-of-chinese-vaccines-is-not-high-officials-back-3rd-dose/) and blocking shipments of more effective vaccines from elsewhere.

And attitudes from major celebrities DO influence public opinion and and DO reflect the wider attitudes and ideals of giant corporations, monied interests and other groups that ALSO have the direct power to negatively effect Taiwan in a MULTITUDE of ways.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Incorrect.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/pressure-accept-china-vaccines-intensifies-taiwan-battles-covid-surge-2021-05-24/

China is trying to force Taiwan to accept shipments of it's shitty vaccines (approx 50% effective: https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/05/efficacy-of-chinese-vaccines-is-not-high-officials-back-3rd-dose/) and blocking shipments of more effective vaccines from elsewhere.

And attitudes from major celebrities DO influence public opinion and and DO reflect the wider attitudes and ideals of giant corporations, monied interests and other groups that ALSO have the direct power to negatively effect Taiwan in a MULTITUDE of ways.

I'll read through this tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Code Monkey said:

China doesn't consider Taiwan to be a country, and largely due to pressure from China, the UN doesn't either. Very few countries actually legally recognize Taiwan as a country. The US doesn't, and neither does any EU country. It does not have formal representation at the UN and the UN won't do anything in favor of Taiwan in any dispute with China; regardless of who is "right" or "wrong", practically speaking, China has more than enough support to block any kind of UN measure it doesn't like.

The history of this whole issue is ugly and messy, but the very Cliff Notes version is that the polity that exists on the island in question started out as essentially the remainder of the previous government of the country called China before the current one, after it lost a civil war against the Communist Party of China (and allies). It got pushed gradually from mainland city to mainland city until it was shoved off the mainland entirely and retreated to the island, which it held. This is why it's called the "Republic of China"; technically it still sort of considers itself the legitimate government of the whole of China, operating in a sort of exile from the island which is the only bit of territory it actually controls.

Similarly, the polity called the "People's Republic of China" considers itself the legitimate government of the whole of China including the bit on the island, and considers the "Republic of China" to be an unfortunate remnant of a civil war it won, and which it would still rather like to get rid of.

In practice you have something that looks a lot like two countries that are neighbours, but that's not what either of them (officially, at least) considers itself or the other to be. Which is why the whole situation is rather...sensitive. And why you hear a lot about "one China" and why the PRC gets so narked off about absolutely anything at all which seems to suggest that the RoC is a real thing.

In practice the Republic of China doesn't really expect to wake up one day and find the PRC has magically disappeared and it now runs everything again. But it's sort of compelled to keep pretending it believes that can/should happen because it would be a fairly epochal shift (and extremely sensitive to some internal political narratives and groups) to say "ah, well, actually we gave up on that whole story and now we just want to be an independent country on this island". While the PRC, especially under current leadership, absolutely does still believe it's entirely entitled to be in charge of the island too and would rather like to just show up with a bunch of battleships and make it so, if it thought it could get away with it without too much blowback.

Cue several decades of posturing and sabre rattling and games of chicken played with battleships and fighter jets, because you know, that's what people do.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, phart010 said:

It’s funny how he keeps on sounding like he going to elaborate further details on his position, but then just ends up reiterating his love for China

It's a little hard to understand what he's saying... 

That might be because my own Chinese is pretty weak, but I think MAINLY it's because it's hard to talk when you're deepthroating China's dong and gargling their balls. 😒

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Trust me, most of us stopped taking you serious based On your comments about racism, and comparing a group of people to Dogs. 

• Like 6
  • Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Is this some kind of long-con troll / joke?

I have a hard time believing that you could be this disconnected from reality.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to F you John Cena