IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

2 hours ago, avatar! said:

Scrubs is a fabulous series. I've known many MDs that have said "I can't stand medical shows like Grey's Anatomy or House - they're crap! but Scrubs is the only such show I actually like"

Also, the last season of Scrubs is utter crap, don't watch it - it will ruin it for you, but the other seasons especially the first three or four are golden.

Ironically, one of the jokes from scrubs got me so hard was about Grey's Anatomy. JD said, "I love Grey's Anatomy, it's like watching my life on TV." Then he looked right at the camera and rolled his eyes. It's even funnier knowing both are ABC shows, kind of a throwback when The Simpsons would do the same with other Fox shows.

It's given me some honest to God belly laughs!

2 hours ago, RH said:

Man, I loved those as a kid.  I don't think I ever got around to see Bride of Chucky, though.  That one was after my time.

Bride of Chucky is worth seeing. It has the spirit of the first ones with the random slapstick silly violence.

Don't spend your time with Seed of Chucky. That was 30 minutes of my life I won't get back. No way is my time not valuable enough to sit through the whole thing!

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Ironically, one of the jokes from scrubs got me so hard was about Grey's Anatomy. JD said, "I love Grey's Anatomy, it's like watching my life on TV." Then he looked right at the camera and rolled his eyes. It's even funnier knowing both are ABC shows, kind of a throwback when The Simpsons would do the same with other Fox shows.

It's given me some honest to God belly laughs!

It was on NBC for 7/9 seasons. 

• Thanks 1

We just finished mare of Eastwood and looking for something new. Not much new stuff interests me recently, so hopefully new shows pick up now that the pandemic is receding. Anxiously awaiting the new Dexter and Metalocalypse/ATHF/Venture Bros. movies as well. Maybe a new season of Barry hopefully, too.

On 6/9/2021 at 1:07 PM, Webhead123 said:

I don't quite know what it is for me but Part II just isn't nearly as compelling as the first. I know I'm not a big fan of the Vito flashback sequences, for one. Also, I think, by the end of the original film, Michael's story is pretty much told. All the events of Part II are essentially just confirmation of the "downward spiral" that we witness him become entangled in by the end of Part I. The final scene of Part I, with Kay closing the door on Michael as he stands in the parlor is one of the most succinct closing shots in film history.

The Michael-Fredo stuff was probably the best part of Part II. Everything else fell kind of flat for me. To be fair, I haven't watched it again in a few years. Maybe I should give it another go and see if I was wrong in my impressions of it.

I think I enjoyed Part II so much specifically because I had read the book. People often assume that Part I is a complete adaptation of the novel, but Vito's entire backstory in Part II is actually adapted from the novel. Without Vito's character arc, Part I always felt a little incomplete to me. But if you consider Part I and II as a singular work, it is easily the greatest American movie ever made. Even if you take them separately, I would still give each of them a spot in the top 5.

The novel is not particularly long, but it is dense in the best way possible. You get a lot more background and character motivation in the text. Considering it produced 6 hours worth of screen time, I'd say that Puzo didn't waste a single word.

@DoctorEncore, I had always thought two was better, but switched over a couple years back to considering one my favorite.

Going from memory, I think the way the first movie was filmed felt more raw and a bit darker while the second one seemed more cleaned up. And something about the writing in the second one made me feel multiple times like I was watching a movie while the first one I could suspend my disbelief.

The first movie has great characters and subplots:

Sunny with the temper

Tom Hagen's ambitions and coming to reality of his place.

Michael coming home 

Michael and Kay Adams relationship

Michael transitioning to a man after killing someone and going on the lamb

Don Corleone not wanting Michael to be a gangster.

Don Corleone transferring power.

The second movie mostly was about differnet parts of Don Corleones life, and all the great studd with Fredo,  and the Corleone family trying to maintain power (similar to the first one).

And something always bothered me about the last scene where Michaels lies to his wife and then lets her see someone kiss the ring. Like why go through the trouble of lying to just throw it in her face. I mean either lie or don't.

We should get a poll up. 🙂

• Like 1

Still rolling with The Good Place. The season 2 switch up is probably more interesting in theory than in practice. The show seems scaled back in terms of sets, characters, and ambition. It makes me think that the show underperformed in season one and saw a big budget cut for season two. I'm genuinely curious to see if the basic premise of the show is strong enough to make it interesting for several more seasons.

I also watched Stuber the other day. It reviewed very poorly, but I actually thought it was genuinely funny. It's not going to win any Oscars, but Dave Bautista and Kumail Nanjiani make great foils and seemed to be having a lot of fun in their roles. It's also got the guy from American Vandal (one of the absolute best modern mockumentaries) and he's great.

6 hours ago, Shmup said:

Yeah I like it, not more than the UK version but they do a pretty good job. It goes a bit downhill towards to end though.

Yeah, that's true for many shows. Seinfeld said he wanted to quit while the show was tops so it would never decrease in quality (if I remember correctly they also offered him $1 million per episode and he said no thanks), I always admired that. More often as long as a show is popular it will continue to run despite how shitty the show might actually be - see Simpsons for a canonical example.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, avatar! said:

Yeah, that's true for many shows. Seinfeld said he wanted to quit while the show was tops so it would never decrease in quality (if I remember correctly they also offered him $1 million per episode and he said no thanks), I always admired that. More often as long as a show is popular it will continue to run despite how shitty the show might actually be - see Simpsons for a canonical example.

Yeah I do notice that about US tv shows, a lot tend to try and push a couple seasons more past their expiry. The UK tend to do a couple seasons and then their done. Definitely agree about the Simpsons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

My wife and I started Chernobyl recently. Really intense and interesting, although a bit on the slow side. My only real critique is that it sometimes struggles to create drama since it's based on real life events so we already know how it ends.

I really enjoyed it.  I will almost certainly watch it again.  There is a little bit of made up drama, but overall it's pretty faithful as far as it's understood.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finishing up Chernobyl. I actually found it to be pretty underwhelming and I'm surprised it's so highly rated. I mean, it is a quality show and the event itself is interesting, but the characters are extraordinarily uninteresting. They are all one dimensional and there is little reason to care about them. Despite being only five episodes long, the show has a lot of filler which really slows the pace and distracts from the truly interesting stuff. I'm having a tough time thinking of anyone I'd recommend it to.

I've also been watching Captain Falcon and the Winter Soldier and it's just terrible. I'm a big fan of the MCU and I adored Wanda Vision, but this show is absolute drivel. The plot is awful, pacing is abysmal, and the melodramatic acting is embarrassing. All the behind-the-scenes problems and multiple delays make a lot of sense now. I think it's easily the worst thing in the MCU (ignoring the Netflix shows and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D).

I also watched the new Suicide Squad movie this weekend. It's a massive improvement over the original and a lot of fun. As with most superhero movies, it lacks an interesting villain and a lot of the Harley Quinn stuff slows the movie down, but overall it's really enjoyable. Definitely recommended if you like your action movies silly and violent.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Disagree 1