IGNORED

What are you currently watching?

Besides the horror movies I've been watching in celebration of Halloween, my wife and I have been watching Ted Lasso. I don't love it to the extent that many others do, but it is pretty good and has a few truly standout episodes. We're approaching the end of season 2. After that, we may circle back to season 3 of The Good Place or maybe try  something more serious.

Edited by DoctorEncore

• 1 month later...
On 9/7/2021 at 6:52 AM, DoctorEncore said:

I've always considered myself a film buff, but I'm still weak on the true classics of cinema. I'm slowly rectifying that and I just finally watched Citizen Kane for the first time. I must say that the film absolutely holds up and is fascinating on so many levels. I didn't know much about the plot although the Rosebud reveal had been ruined for me by being immersed in modern day pop culture. Still, I was struck by the quality of the story, the perfect pacing, the fantastic acting, and revolutionary cinematography. It's actually hard to believe the film was released in 1941 as it is still extremely watchable. It was fun to see all the ways it has influenced both classic and modern films. I really enjoyed it.

Don't overlook some of the Japanese classics on your journey - some of them are awesome - two of my favorites are Rashomon and Fires on the Plain.

I also highly reccomend this one:

A too die for cast with every moment in the film being delectable.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

This isn't factual last I checked, it was just the opinion of Seth Rogan. Seems he's getting made fun of on Twitter for it.

Hard to say.  The critical reviews I've looked up all seem to agree that it's roughly standard Seth Rogan fare and well worth watching, even though it's hardly Shakespeare.  That would seem to indicate at least a 5-6 out of 10 average rating and not a 1.  Looking at the IMDB ratings (where it's "risen" to 1.1 average), the low reviewers are overwhelmingly male which seems absolutely, totally off base in regard to what basically every reviewer is describing as a "raunchy" Christmas tale.  Last I checked, regardless of age group, men weren't overwhelmingly squeamish, turned off or turned away by "raunchy" anything.  Absolutely conveniently, I'm not able to pull up any actual reviews that score it low, just the data regarding how many stars those people clicked, which is basically how review bombings work.

Here, the comments below the very brief blurb about the show pretty much immediately start in on about how at least part of the cast is Jewish and they have little to no business being part of a Christmas show (some comments seem to indicate this is based on perceived hypocrisy of one of the cast who made unrelated comments prior to this show coming out/about).  This review pretty much points out toward the latter part about how anti-Semitic and Holocaust-denying comments as well as unnecessary, irrelevant mentions of the two main stars' religion cropped up immediately in comments as soon as the trailer dropped; note that the review isn't glowing, but it's not bad either.

As other people were pointing out this trend before Seth Rogen ever made his Tweet (I'm seeing stuff from 11/30 & 12/1 and Rogen's tweet wasn't made until 12/2), I'd say that there's likely a fair grain of truth to it, however uncomfortable a truth it might be or less believable because the actor making the most often quoted statement most frequently plays either a dummy or an ass, if not both.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Hard to say.  The critical reviews I've looked up all seem to agree that it's roughly standard Seth Rogan fare and well worth watching, even though it's hardly Shakespeare.  That would seem to indicate at least a 5-6 out of 10 average rating and not a 1.  Looking at the IMDB ratings (where it's "risen" to 1.1 average), the low reviewers are overwhelmingly male which seems absolutely, totally off base in regard to what basically every reviewer is describing as a "raunchy" Christmas tale.  Last I checked, regardless of age group, men weren't overwhelmingly squeamish, turned off or turned away by "raunchy" anything.  Absolutely conveniently, I'm not able to pull up any actual reviews that score it low, just the data regarding how many stars those people clicked, which is basically how review bombings work.

Here, the comments below the very brief blurb about the show pretty much immediately start in on about how at least part of the cast is Jewish and they have little to no business being part of a Christmas show (some comments seem to indicate this is based on perceived hypocrisy of one of the cast who made unrelated comments prior to this show coming out/about).  This review pretty much points out toward the latter part about how anti-Semitic and Holocaust-denying comments as well as unnecessary, irrelevant mentions of the two main stars' religion cropped up immediately in comments as soon as the trailer dropped; note that the review isn't glowing, but it's not bad either.

As other people were pointing out this trend before Seth Rogen ever made his Tweet (I'm seeing stuff from 11/30 & 12/1 and Rogen's tweet wasn't made until 12/2), I'd say that there's likely a fair grain of truth to it, however uncomfortable a truth it might be or less believable because the actor making the most often quoted statement most frequently plays either a dummy or an ass, if not both.

Cheers bud, that's pretty thorough compared to my own cursory glance into it. Thanks! 

Well, now I think I might watch it. Not because I like Rogen's work, but if it pisses off white supremacists and similar antisemites, I'm all for it 🙂

Screenshot-from-2021-12-06-02-01-36.png

https://www.nme.com/news/tv/seth-rogen-claims-white-supremacists-are-review-bombing-santa-inc-3110961

Antisemites, Holocaust deniers flood comments on trailer for Seth Rogen Christmas movie

https://www.dailydot.com/debug/christmas-special-youtube-antisemitic-santa-inc-seth-rogen/

Whatever the impetus, the trailer’s comment section is now flooded with antisemitism and Holocaust denialism. More than 25,000 have commented on it as of this writing.

Again, ANYTHING that pisses off antisemites and other bigots is good with me!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 12/5/2021 at 7:56 PM, darkchylde28 said:

That’s pretty horrible. I don’t find Seth Rogen and his crude, stoner humor funny. I never liked the stuff he and his group of buddies have done, but the bigotry is unacceptable. I mean Santa Claus is already a commercialized version of of St. Nicholas. I personally can’t be offended by something that may not portray something saintly that took an actual saint and turned him into a tool for consumerism.

Edited by ICrappedMyPants

I just watched Black Mountain Side.

It is a somewhat slow paced affair that has some superficial resemblence to John Carpenter's The Thing - I can see where some people wouldn't like it.

If you can get into it is driven by  underlying Lovecraftian influences.  A lot isn't explained so you have to put your thinking cap on in order to enjoy it.

Edited by Tabonga

My wife and I have been watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. It stars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez as they simultaneously try to solve a murder and record a podcast about it. It's funny and sentimental and quirky without being pretentious, which can be a tough line to walk There are also a few other well-known actors who round out the cast and are all great. We're about halfway through and have really enjoyed it so far. My only complaint is that the last episode we watched was a bit of an info dump which feels inelegant for a murder mystery. I'm looking forward to finishing out the season in the next week or two.

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

My wife and I have been watching Only Murders in the Building on Hulu. It stars Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez as they simultaneously try to solve a murder and record a podcast about it. It's funny and sentimental and quirky without being pretentious, which can be a tough line to walk There are also a few other well-known actors who round out the cast and are all great. We're about halfway through and have really enjoyed it so far. My only complaint is that the last episode we watched was a bit of an info dump which feels inelegant for a murder mystery. I'm looking forward to finishing out the season in the next week or two.

I just finished it this week. I enjoyed it but I wish Selena Gomez was a better actor. She doesn't ruin it but every scene she's in it's like listening to Daria. If there is a second season, I hope we can see some growth.

I've been keeping up with Wheel of Time and I just finished reading the Shadow and Bone Trilogy and will start that on Netflix this week. Tonight the wife and I will finally be able to start season 2 of Locke and Key.

Edited by Aguy
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Aguy said:

I just finished it this week. I enjoyed it but I wish Selena Gomez was a better actor. She doesn't ruin it but every scene she's in it's like listening to Daria. If there is a second season, I hope we can see some growth.

I've been keeping up with Wheel of Time and I just finished reading the Shadow and Bone Trilogy and will start that on Netflix this week. Tonight the wife and I will finally be able to start season 2 of Locke and Key.

Yeah, Selena Gomez just doesn't seem right in the show. We were wondering if her Lupus and kidney transplant really messed her up.

Season two of Locke and Key was solid, although you will continually be amazed at how stupid the Lockes are. I don't even think it's just because they're teenagers either. They're just dumb humans. But it was still a fun watch.

2 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Yeah, Selena Gomez just doesn't seem right in the show. We were wondering if her Lupus and kidney transplant really messed her up.

Season two of Locke and Key was solid, although you will continually be amazed at how stupid the Lockes are. I don't even think it's just because they're teenagers either. They're just dumb humans. But it was still a fun watch.

I don't know, the Lockes we're making some pretty dumb decisions in the first season... That kind of stuff does ruin my suspension of disbelief.