IGNORED

Movie Debate #70: Back to the Future

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in watching it.

A very clear cut 8/10 for me.

Not a favourite by any means, but a movie that's so enjoyable and well crafted it's really impossible to dislike, and the sequels keep it up well. It's Robert Zemeckis doing what he does best (I'll still take Roger Rabbit over this one though)

10/10

The first Back to the Future is my favorite movie of all time. I've watched the entire trilogy numerous times in the last 30 years or so, and they're still really fun to watch. I've bought them on VHS, DVD, and Blu-Ray, and various releases of each like the 1996 and 2002 VHS box sets and 25th and 30th Anniversary DVD's. Still have them all (including the VHS tapes); they really stand out in my movie collection.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Ferris Bueller said:

Are you just pulling top movies from Rotten Tomatoes or something? Lol, these have all been my favorite films. Pick something I don't like.

I have to generally stick with well-known films, otherwise the thread gets 7 votes and 6 posts

6 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

8.  Debated giving it a 9 but...if I’m honest I pretty rarely choose to watch Back to the Future over a good number of its contemporaries.  It’s pretty awesome but it will never be in the same league as war games or Beverly Hills cop or the goonies for me.

Something is happening between me and Goonies and I'm not sure what it is. It's a movie that I have incredible nostalgia for (must have seen it dozens of times throughout my youth) and I still think it's a good film...but something about it just doesn't sing to me like it used to. I mean, I'll still watch it if it's put in front of me but I find less and less desire to choose to put it on over other options.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

A very clear cut 8/10 for me.

Not a favourite by any means, but a movie that's so enjoyable and well crafted it's really impossible to dislike, and the sequels keep it up well. It's Robert Zemeckis doing what he does best (I'll still take Roger Rabbit over this one though)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit could probably make it into my top 10 favorite films of all time. Amazing stuff, especially when you look at all the behind-the-scenes work that went into creating that live-action/animation hybrid in the days before advanced CGI.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

Something is happening between me and Goonies and I'm not sure what it is. It's a movie that I have incredible nostalgia for (must have seen it dozens of times throughout my youth) and I still think it's a good film...but something about it just doesn't sing to me like it used to. I mean, I'll still watch it if it's put in front of me but I find less and less desire to choose to put it on over other options.

It happens. We grow up and mature out of stuff, even forty years later.

Now, I'd wonder if you have problems if you said that about The Princess Bride, though. 😄

1 minute ago, Webhead123 said:

Who Framed Roger Rabbit could probably make it into my top 10 favorite films of all time. Amazing stuff, especially when you look at all the behind-the-scenes work that went into creating that live-action/animation hybrid in the days before advanced CGI.

I never really got into RR, even as a kid. I can't explain it. I think Roger's voice just annoyed me to much. That said, the practical effects in that film were amazing, especially for a kids movie. I still can't believe Bon Hoskins got onto of the tiny stunt car they used for the toon car. That thing looked like death on wheels, even if it was professionally driven during taping.

Administrator · Posted
8 hours ago, Hammerfestus said:

8.  Debated giving it a 9 but...if I’m honest I pretty rarely choose to watch Back to the Future over a good number of its contemporaries.  It’s pretty awesome but it will never be in the same league as war games or Beverly Hills cop or the goonies for me.

For a second there I thought you were gonna say Beverly Hills Ninja and I was gonna ask for the number of your weed supplier.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

There's the infamous plot hole about how the parents didn't recognize that their son looks awfully similar to that guy they met in high school. Other than that, it's an easy 9.

I couldn't possibly remember the face of someone I met 30 years ago and didn't see since, let alone 5...

• Like 3