IGNORED

Movie Debate #70: Back to the Future

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal thoughts on playing it, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • No interest in watching it.

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

I couldn't possibly remember the face of someone I met 30 years ago and didn't see since, let alone 5...

It's weird to me when I hear this. I remember people and single interactions with them in great detail for decades. In fact, my slightly aspie self has had to learn that when I bump into old high school or college acquaintances to sometimes withhold certain details so recall because it can get weird.

What I can't remember, even when I try hard, are people names. I can recall the day we met, and the conversation we had near-verbatim but don't ask me your name. I'll fail nearly every time.

Administrator · Posted
17 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Definitely a 10, although the third film is my absolute favourite of the series! The trilogy is kinda like one long movie anyway though, so I guess I'd give them all a 10! 

I'm in full agreement. 3 is my favorite, and I'd rate them all a 10 for their own reasons. 

• Love 2

7 hours ago, RH said:

What I can't remember, even when I try hard, are people names. I can recall the day we met, and the conversation we had near-verbatim but don't ask me your name. I'll fail nearly every time.

I can run into former friends that I used to hang out with every week ten years ago, but their name will be completely gone from my memory. >_>

I can't rate this anything less than 10, because this movie (trilogy actually) is #1 in my fandom hierarchy.

I was absolutely beside myself when found out that Michael J. Fox, Christopher Lloyd, and Lea Thompson were coming to a convention I was planning to attend.  I can't really put to words the level of awesome I was feeling going there and meeting them.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I meant to post this earlier.

My Halloween costume from last year.  Sadly, not many young people recognize it.  I've been trying to convince my wife to let me buy a DeLorean to go with the outfit.  

imagejpeg_0002.jpg

Definitely a fair trade. I actually fell in love with DeLorean's in High School. We all remember it from BTTF, but in the late 90s is when I started doing research on the car and I fell in love with them. John DeLorean was framed. I have no doubts. It's a shame because DMC was the definition of "disruptive tech" just in automotive form. Sure, those cars had problems, but can you imagine what the DMC might be like today if they had stayed true their original intent and made another 40th anniversary stainless steel car? It would have been awesome.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RH said:

Definitely a fair trade. I actually fell in love with DeLorean's in High School. We all remember it from BTTF, but in the late 90s is when I started doing research on the car and I fell in love with them. John DeLorean was framed. I have no doubts. It's a shame because DMC was the definition of "disruptive tech" just in automotive form. Sure, those cars had problems, but can you imagine what the DMC might be like today if they had stayed true their original intent and made another 40th anniversary stainless steel car? It would have been awesome.

I'm a car person almost as much as I am a video game person, so I have a huge desire to get a DeLorean even outside of my love for the movie.  Unfortunately, finding a manual version in good condition means you need to bring a lot of money with you.  Maybe someday.

Just now, TDIRunner said:

I'm a car person almost as much as I am a video game person, so I have a huge desire to get a DeLorean even outside of my love for the movie.  Unfortunately, finding a manual version in good condition means you need to bring a lot of money with you.  Maybe someday.

Yeah, I'm not a "gear head" but when I started researching the car, it got me close to it.  I'm not saying I'm an expert cause I'm not a car guy, but there was something about making a "modern" car that was intended to both be cool, but built to become the new muscle-car base.  It's ironic to me that it's desirable to have a "perfect" DeLorean.  I mean, that's what I'd want.  A factory, stock vehicle with only a couple thousand miles and in "mint" shape, but had the company taken off, it'd be really awesome to see some of the builds people would have come up with, even for those early models.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't even part of the reason why they were shipped in stainless steel not just because "that's cool" but DeLorean wanted people to be free to paint the vehicle as they wanted?  I mean, that's such a different direction in manufacturing than from where the auto industry was already moving in the early 80s.

Again, DeLorean was framed. 😠

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the paint part, although many models have been painted since.  I would of course keep the stainless steel look because I love the look.

One interesting bit in info that I know of is that DeLorean considered the concept of model years to be a scam.  So production changes on the car models happened throughout the year as needed.  Because of this, it's actually sort of difficult to tell the model years apart unless you really know what to look for.  

• Thanks 1

On 5/16/2021 at 2:55 PM, mbd39 said:

There's the infamous plot hole about how the parents didn't recognize that their son looks awfully similar to that guy they met in high school. Other than that, it's an easy 9.

Not a plot hole, as others noted.

Edited by glazball
mix-up :)

5 minutes ago, glazball said:

Not a plot hole, as others noted.

The only true plot hole is that Biff returns the DeLorean to the original timeline.  That should have been impossible to do since he altered the future by giving his younger self the sports almanac.

I thought that was explained.  Since Marty and Doc were still in the future, it created like an "anchor point" for Biff.  This is still a plot point considering how Marty almost faded away in BTTF 1, mostly due to the same reasons, but I still seem to vaguely recall that while the Doc and Marty were in the library basement, this was mentioned when the Doc was talking about tangents.

I've always attributed it to Biff returns, and the future has changed around Doc & Marty. They don't know about the change, because apparently Hilldale remains a shithole even in the "bad" future.

It was always implied (and confirmed in deleted scenes) that Biff vanished because of his actions.  The BTTF comics actually explain why there isn't a old Biff in the "bad" 2015.

They also explain how Doc paid for the hover conversion/Mr. Fusion as well.

I also feel that the parents "not recognizing" Marty is not a plot hole.  It's completely reasonable for two people to not have a photographic memory of a person they knew for one week, 30 years later.  Anyone attempting to call this a plot hole is simply grasping for straws.  While I agree that there are a few plot related issues through out the trilogy (basically impossible to avoid when dealing with time travel story lines), the parents not recognizing Marty is NOT one of them.  

On 5/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, TDIRunner said:

My Halloween costume from last year.  Sadly, not many young people recognize it.  I've been trying to convince my wife to let me buy a DeLorean to go with the outfit.  

imagejpeg_0002.jpg

Don't think I can top this pic. but here's my best try:

Back in the day after BTTF II came out there was a rumor going around that the Hoverboards were not Hollywood fakery but actual REAL cutting edge technology lent out to the studio just to wet our beaks for when they would be available to the public.  Why did anyone believe this?  Same reason people believe all manor of bullshit - they find comforting lies preferable to cold hard truth.  Anywho, I was SOO positively drooling over the hoverboard scene at the time that I actually wrote a letter to Robert Zemeckis inquiring how to go about obtaining one.

Can you believe that rat-bastard never got back to me?

Edited by PII
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PII said:

Back in the day after BTTF II came out there was a rumor going around that the Hoverboards were not Hollywood fakery but actual REAL cutting edge technology lent out to the studio just to wet our beaks for when they would be available to the public.  Why did anyone believe this?  Same reason people believe all manor of bullshit - they find comforting lies preferable to cold hard truth.  Anywho, I was SOO positively drooling over the hoverboard scene at the time that I actually wrote a letter to Robert Zemeckis inquiring how to go about obtaining one.

hoverboard.png

I remember those days of believing the hoverboard was real! Part of the reason why was that Leslie Nielson narrated the Making Of special and at one point he implied hoverboards were real.

That was enough to send me and every boy in the school yard on a wild goose chase for that hoverboard, hidden somewhere.

EDIT

I found the special.  I'm watching the whole thing now to find the time stamp.  I could fast forward through it, but I'm so nostalgia tripping right now, I'm going to be watching this at 1x speed.  I'll post the time stamp when I find it.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
7 hours ago, PII said:

hoverboard.png

Hey man did you know you can catch Mew if you use Strength on the truck near the SS Anne? 

50 minutes ago, RH said:

7 hours ago, PII said:

As a kid, I never heard about the hover board rumors, so I never had that trouble.  But I do remember at the end of the third movie, when Doc gives Marty his gift.  He opens it up to find the picture they took in front of the clock during the party.  As a kid, I was super disappointed in that gift.  I was sitting there like "why didn't Doc give Marty the hover board back?"  Funny thing is that as an adult, I realize just how awesome having that picture would be.

• Like 1