IGNORED

Target to stop selling sports and Pokemon trading cards in-store due to concerns of employee and customer safety

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@BriGuy82 check it out!!! guy too scared to take his rightful whooping pulled a gun. smh

Dude was in the right.  Doesn't matter if it was cards or cash.  He was getting jacked.  Woulda been justified as self defense. 

"The victim pulled out the gun he was legally carrying and the four attackers then ran away. "

• Like 1

If you guys had a few grand to invest in sealed pokemon card packs, what would you buy? Thinking about throwing some cash at the hype. 

I used to be a huge comic card guy, and sometimes get the itch to open some packs and will splurge on a box of whatever is hot

Edited by MrWunderful

15 hours ago, fox said:

I expect all "collector" markets to move exclusively to online storefronts in the coming years

Blame the companies who cater to these "collector" markets.  They have all the sales data in the world to know how much demand there is.  But they don't care about sales, they shortchange their product on purpose as they just want hype and "to blow up on social media."  Then some smart guy upstairs can tell his boss about how they "sold out" instead of telling him how they would have made 5x as much profit if they just made enough to meet demand.  Instead they want to create mass hysteria in the aisles and target doesn't want their store turning into a warzone cover pokemon cards.

This is literally the marketing department for every toy company since 1976.

Nintendo's own claim to fame is to.applynrhe toy company model to the home video game market, which they still do today.

Pokemon specifically has been on absolute fire so mix that with the demand for cards and it was only a matter of time. Hell, Sw&Sh are the best selling Pokemon games of all time and they are, if not the worst main series games ever, they're a close 2nd. And they're the best selling games of the series. Just wait til this fall when a good pokemon game actually drops. 

14 hours ago, fox said:

I expect all "collector" markets to move exclusively to online storefronts in the coming years

Blame the companies who cater to these "collector" markets.  They have all the sales data in the world to know how much demand there is.  But they don't care about sales, they shortchange their product on purpose as they just want hype and "to blow up on social media."  Then some smart guy upstairs can tell his boss about how they "sold out" instead of telling him how they would have made 5x as much profit if they just made enough to meet demand.  Instead they want to create mass hysteria in the aisles and target doesn't want their store turning into a warzone cover pokemon cards.

Apparently, the Pokemon company has to share their printing presses with every other trading card company. So in this case, they literally cannot print enough cards during their available time with the machines to satisfy demand.

35 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

If you guys had a few grand to invest in sealed pokemon card packs, what would you buy? Thinking about throwing some cash at the hype. 

I used to be a huge comic card guy, and sometimes get the itch to open some packs and will splurge on a box of whatever is hot

None of the modern products are worth it IMO. I would go for older (but not too old, otherwise they would be very pricy) OOP booster boxes if you could get them at a good price.

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Dude was in the right.  Doesn't matter if it was cards or cash.  He was getting jacked.  Woulda been justified as self defense. 

"The victim pulled out the gun he was legally carrying and the four attackers then ran away. "

i know. i just think its punk to pull all the cards then pull a gun. if you got the nerve to clear the shelf in front of 4 other guys be ready to get jumped. oh wait he only had the balls in form of a gun..... got ya 😉 

edit: mr saturday night special made him walk tall.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

Lol, when I read the article I thought of you! Someone was gonna get killed somewhere. It was a smart move on their part. 

you know it was over that prizm basketball. it was only a matter of time before the people clearing the shelves would get strong armed in the parking lot 

25 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

you know it was over that prizm basketball. it was only a matter of time before the people clearing the shelves would get strong armed in the parking lot 

The only thing that surprised me was that it didn't take place in Florida! 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, fox said:

...you don't happen to do YouTube, do you?  As I seriously watched a video earlier today (talking about toys instead of CCGs, but still) that used almost the exact same phrasing and making the same points.  I agree completely, as I assume they're doing it to try to bump stock for investors and the folks at the top versus having to rely on actual SALES to make money.  The longer stuff like this goes on, as well as all the shorting nonsense in the stock market, etc., the more the term "investing" becomes a dirty word in my book.

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

i know. i just think its punk to pull all the cards then pull a gun. if you got the nerve to clear the shelf in front of 4 other guys be ready to get jumped. oh wait he only had the balls in form of a gun..... got ya 😉 

edit: mr saturday night special made him walk tall.

Hey, they were the ones dumb enough to bring fists to a gun fight, lol.  Seriously, if four people (men, women, I don't care) were about to jump me for ANY reason and I was (legally) packing?  Yeah, guess what, the first one to step forward gets to be the example to the rest.  One on one, sure, if I actually entered into a physical altercation with someone, I'd take my lumps if I didn't come out on top.  Two or more on one?  I'm going to take every advantage I have, especially in today's world where people more and more commonly get killed or crippled over the dumbest of shit, then the perpetrators essentially get off with little to no real punishment.  Anyone who doesn't have the sense to take every advantage at their disposal when getting jumped four to one isn't brave or honorable, they're just stupid.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

Apparently, the Pokemon company has to share their printing presses with every other trading card company. So in this case, they literally cannot print enough cards during their available time with the machines to satisfy demand.

That’s just idiotic if true. Theyre the biggest entertainment franchise in the world. The fact they wouldn’t invest in their own printing facility is just stupid. It seems more decisions made for/by pokemon always revolve around being really cheap.