IGNORED

Target to stop selling sports and Pokemon trading cards in-store due to concerns of employee and customer safety

On 5/18/2021 at 3:15 PM, TDIRunner said:

This past weekend we ended up finding a bunch of Pokemon card packs at a Walgreens near my house.  Then on a trip to my in-laws, we stopped by a Walmart in a smaller town and found a bunch of card packs there as well.  I guess the flippers don't venture out that far from the big cities.  

they do. i live in small town. bet there wasnt any basketball cards there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, docile tapeworm said:

they do. i live in small town. bet there wasnt any basketball cards there.

I didn't go inside, so I don't know what they had, but the next time I'm up in Litchfield, IL, I will check.  But if they had tons of Pokemon cards, there is a good chance they had some other stuff as well.  

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

From CGCs website Screenshot_20210525-200056.jpg.668650c1cb8703de397a23fbb10d8442.jpg

Research jobs sound fun. In my mind it’s people poring through archives for info on obscure ancient coins and books. In reality it’s probably entering all the latest Italian set Yu-Gi-Oh cards into a database.

Being a grader sounds like everything bad about working for the post office but also requires specialized knowledge and ruins your eyesight. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 8:12 AM, TDIRunner said:

I didn't go inside, so I don't know what they had, but the next time I'm up in Litchfield, IL, I will check.  But if they had tons of Pokemon cards, there is a good chance they had some other stuff as well.  

today was MY day at the local walmart! and you bet im about to lose my ass ripping it all! c'mon trevor lawrence 1/1!!! wwwwooooo!!!!!

B0775946-2B25-4782-9631-05B9F3EBE068.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

Social Team · Posted
On 5/13/2021 at 1:16 AM, Teh_Lurv said:

It has come to this: Trading card collecting has gotten so feverish Target has decided it's safer to take sports and Pokemon cards off their store shelves.

From The Verge:

"Target has decided that it’s had enough: the company  has officially confirmed to Bleeding Cool  that it will halt the sales of Pokémon cards throughout the US, starting Friday, May 14th. The retailer cities “an abundance of caution” for the safety of both guests and store employees and notes that it will still be selling the cards on its site.

Target has recently started limiting how many packs customers are allowed to purchase, and has even threatened to get law enforcement involved if it found people camping out by its stores for them. There was also an incident at one of the stores where someone pulled a gun during a fight about sports cards — which could explain why the halt also applies to MLB, NFL, and NBA cards as well."

https://www.theverge.com/2021/5/12/22433236/target-halts-sale-pokemon-mlb-nba-nfl-trading-cards-may-14

I like how this doesn't apply to MTG cards because we're all nerds who won't get physical.  Also no parent is fighting other parents for MTG cards their kids want.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
On 5/14/2021 at 8:48 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

For cards? I'm still on the fence. Not that I don't trust CGC for grading but I don't know their standards yet. 

I actually work with a guy who worked for a card distributor back about 10 years ago and they started a grading company on the side. He got picked to grade cards off of no experience or requirements and was just given a check list and a handful of examples to go off of.

Ever since I met him, my idea of grading has been completely thrown out the window. CGC grading cards now just doesn't sit the same way with me as PSA does but with how backed up PSA is and how over priced they've become, CGC will definitely start to get more grades and I'll get a better idea for consistently.

I probably would send my cards to grade there at the end of the day. They do have a strong record with comics and they have an image to uphold. 

This dude was hilarious.  But I think he was talking the truth.

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 2