IGNORED

Target to stop selling sports and Pokemon trading cards in-store due to concerns of employee and customer safety

7 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

...you don't happen to do YouTube, do you?  As I seriously watched a video earlier today (talking about toys instead of CCGs, but still) that used almost the exact same phrasing and making the same points.  I agree completely, as I assume they're doing it to try to bump stock for investors and the folks at the top versus having to rely on actual SALES to make money.  The longer stuff like this goes on, as well as all the shorting nonsense in the stock market, etc., the more the term "investing" becomes a dirty word in my book.

Hey, they were the ones dumb enough to bring fists to a gun fight, lol.  Seriously, if four people (men, women, I don't care) were about to jump me for ANY reason and I was (legally) packing?  Yeah, guess what, the first one to step forward gets to be the example to the rest.  One on one, sure, if I actually entered into a physical altercation with someone, I'd take my lumps if I didn't come out on top.  Two or more on one?  I'm going to take every advantage I have, especially in today's world where people more and more commonly get killed or crippled over the dumbest of shit, then the perpetrators essentially get off with little to no real punishment.  Anyone who doesn't have the sense to take every advantage at their disposal when getting jumped four to one isn't brave or honorable, they're just stupid.

what im saying is, its not suprising when people who act like assholes, carry. 

edit: and it never suprises me when people who carry act scared.

and its funny to me when people who act like assholes, who carry, get scared of situations they put themselves into by being an asshole because they feel strong with thier gun.

Edited by docile tapeworm
  • Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

11 hours ago, Strange said:

They’re not as as good as 5th generation and down but they’re better than Sun and Moon and light years better than X and Y

I liked both X/Y and Sun & Moon  over Sw&Sh. However, they're all scraping the bottom on the barrel. 

I think the 3DS games were actually a great era in Pokemon though. Mega evo was the best mechanic ever added and the different forms of Pokemon were another way to give life to forgotten Pokemon from generations past. 

Looking at the sales numbers of Sw&Sh, you would never know how poorly it was received and just how bland the game was overall.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
14 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

If you guys had a few grand to invest in sealed pokemon card packs, what would you buy? Thinking about throwing some cash at the hype. 

I used to be a huge comic card guy, and sometimes get the itch to open some packs and will splurge on a box of whatever is hot

The earliest you can afford the better.   Even after the hype dies down those will still appreciate in value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I liked both X/Y and Sun & Moon  over Sw&Sh. However, they're all scraping the bottom on the barrel. 

I think the 3DS games were actually a great era in Pokemon though. Mega evo was the best mechanic ever added and the different forms of Pokemon were another way to give life to forgotten Pokemon from generations past. 

Looking at the sales numbers of Sw&Sh, you would never know how poorly it was received and just how bland the game was overall.

I do like Mega evolution, but I also like Gigantamax. I liked Sun and Moon’s story a lot, but the constant tutorial mode is nauseating. X and Y to me was just the barest of bare bones. Bad story, hardly any new Pokémon, no post-game content. It just wasn’t for me.

My saving grace for Sword and Shield is the post game content, I really like the raid battles and the raid marathon stuff in the newest DLC. I don’t do competitive play but my friend that is into it has said this is the best the online meta has ever been. Like I said, I wouldn’t know.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captmorgandrinker said:

The earliest you can afford the better.   Even after the hype dies down those will still appreciate in value.

Im having a hard time separating the current garbage from the more rare stuff on ebay searches. Any hints at keywords to search? “1st edition”  still comes up with modern stuff. 

12 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Im having a hard time separating the current garbage from the more rare stuff on ebay searches. Any hints at keywords to search? “1st edition”  still comes up with modern stuff. 

"1999" "shadowless"

edit: the good stuff says "99" (i think) where the more common does not. or something like that

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

You can search by the set too. Like fossil, base set, jungle, neo genesis etc

• Like 2

6 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Damn individual packs going for 400$+? I might not have the sack for this. 

Maybe Ill just stick to stupid plastic squares. 

Here's a list of ever set released in order. To give you some idea of the insanity of the prices. I had a card lost in the mail January 2020 that I paid $15 for and planned on getting it graded. Raw it sells for $300. 

So packs that would've sold for $80-100 consistently are $400+ now consistently. Things are spiraling out of control faster than any hobby I ever seen. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

@RegularGuyGamer how do you feel about csg/cgc grading?

For cards? I'm still on the fence. Not that I don't trust CGC for grading but I don't know their standards yet. 

I actually work with a guy who worked for a card distributor back about 10 years ago and they started a grading company on the side. He got picked to grade cards off of no experience or requirements and was just given a check list and a handful of examples to go off of.

Ever since I met him, my idea of grading has been completely thrown out the window. CGC grading cards now just doesn't sit the same way with me as PSA does but with how backed up PSA is and how over priced they've become, CGC will definitely start to get more grades and I'll get a better idea for consistently.

I probably would send my cards to grade there at the end of the day. They do have a strong record with comics and they have an image to uphold. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

For cards? I'm still on the fence. Not that I don't trust CGC for grading but I don't know their standards yet. 

I actually work with a guy who worked for a card distributor back about 10 years ago and they started a grading company on the side. He got picked to grade cards off of no experience or requirements and was just given a check list and a handful of examples to go off of.

Ever since I met him, my idea of grading has been completely thrown out the window. CGC grading cards now just doesn't sit the same way with me as PSA does but with how backed up PSA is and how over priced they've become, CGC will definitely start to get more grades and I'll get a better idea for consistently.

I probably would send my cards to grade there at the end of the day. They do have a strong record with comics and they have an image to uphold. 

thats doesnt suprise me about your friend getting a job. i feel like the whole hobby is a racket from hitting a good card, condition, to getting a good grade. its so far fetched to hit it all.

psa seems pretty inconsistent. obvious oc cards get high grades. ive heard its comparative (as in it may be oc but less oc than the rest of the pop of the same card).

i ask because i recently sub to cgc/csg. i havent sent anything yet. i have some decent jordans and other basketball cards that could make $$$ with a good grade from any service probably.

• Like 2

I know this was a split off bit he brought up, but I totally agree with @RegularGuyGamer about Pokemon Sword & Shield vs the 3DS entries, or at least Ultra(or not) Sun and Moon.

S&S sure there's the wild zone, and it actually bothers to have some semblance of a story too for the actual game itself, but damn it's a big step back if you're not just there to raid online.  It's boring, it's life sucking interest killing by design as you play.  It's like where you know you're watching a new TV show, but it hits you, you're bored, and feeling you've done it before...that is that game.  I touch it maybe a week every 4-6months, mostly due to my kid, yet I can go back to the 3DS and wow, some really good experiences there, especially Sun/Moon due to it back seating the old boring gym setup for a total adventure game, multi-tiered story, lots of fun stuff that keeps happening over and over so you don't feel like it's yet another poke-re-run.  It's partly why I actually bothered getting a 3DS system around 6mo again as they were pulled from production.  Throw in the fun of the z-crystals, totem pokemon(basically mini boss battles), and other oddities in there and it's a model they should have kept up with for awhile.  Maybe the open world one coming in a year will be awesome and different in a good way.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2021 at 12:06 PM, MrWunderful said:

You would have know what year approximately each set came out and which cards are in each set. There are no 1st edition sets after they switched from WOTC in the early 2000s. Like video games, there are minute differences that can cause two cards that look very similar to have vastly different values. I would generally avoid if you don't know what you're getting into.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted
On 5/13/2021 at 2:12 AM, DefaultGen said:

What a crazy thing that has no parallels to anything in history

2Q1yv3a.jpg

On 5/13/2021 at 9:29 AM, drxandy said:

Omg this could be a fucking great renaissance painting, holy shit it's perfect. 

On 5/13/2021 at 9:32 PM, BriGuy82 said:

Look at how thirsty that lady with the red bear is over that fat lady's beanie baby! 😭 

On 5/14/2021 at 12:31 PM, Murray said:

@CasualCartplease make this happen 😰

My "renaissance painting" turned out pretty awful, but that might just make it even funnier...

-CasualCart

1648887439_PokemonRenaissance.jpg.50bcd2592ddc37c17c9994ae95ab2892.jpg

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1
  • Love 6
  • Haha 5

On 5/14/2021 at 5:48 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Not to go off-topic, but I wanted to note that I met a person who used to grade comics for CGC. All I can say is that he ended up validating my belief that a good chunk of their 9.8s were 9.6s. And also had me wish I had gotten his info because a rep from CBCS, the grading company he wanted to work for, was hoping to hire him.

But that event is years ago and I do not know if their grading style is the same or not.

• Like 2

This past weekend we ended up finding a bunch of Pokemon card packs at a Walgreens near my house.  Then on a trip to my in-laws, we stopped by a Walmart in a smaller town and found a bunch of card packs there as well.  I guess the flippers don't venture out that far from the big cities.  

• Like 1