IGNORED

Amazon prohibits third party sales of Nintendo products

I just got three good deals on Amazon and one shitty one I had to return.

One of the winners was a high end game 40% under valued in beautiful shape. I am going to resell it to pay for two of the other games.

The thing is Japanese games sometimes come over cheaper there and in general, when prices in the market change rapidly, Amazon sellers don't always adjust as fast as say an ebay seller. 

Administrator · Posted

Nintendo can be pretty intense sometimes.  I'm actually glad we are no longer "NintendoAge" particularly since we are buying and selling things here.   Realistically, I doubt Nintendo really cares much about us comparatively to say, Amazon.com, but still - can't hurt to get away from literally having their company name in the title of our website.

Administrator · Posted

I think the situation with ebay is a bit different.

I don't know the details - but I'd imagine this has been a major problem and headache for both Amazon AND Nintendo, and they likely communicated and then Amazon made a final decision here.  

I am a bit surprised by this Amazon announcement, but I'd be *shocked* if something like this happened with ebay.  Anything seems to go on ebay and they get their fee regardless and don't seem to really care that much about repros hah.

Kind of a sad day.  I'm mostly done with collecting anything from Nintendo, but I did get really good deals on the copies of DK Jr Math, Dragon Fighter, Robo Demons & Sword Master I picked up a few years back.  Plus, I got to spend Amazon bucks that I had which would otherwise have likely sat and done nothing.

I imagine it was Nintendo and Amazon collaborating on that, and perhaps others (Sony,etc) and third parties may take notice after seeing how it changes things over a short time.  Yes it's a control issue, but I think the large scale amount of bootlegs and also hacks/repops too were the problem.  Imagine the lost money (as time is money) call reps and email reps from both companies had to deal with getting comments about a used item to a game that seemingly didn't work right or at all because it was a bootleg or something else that wasn't 100% factory made.  I'm sure they all tired of it and this move would limit the sales of those products to what is approved taking that big headache off both of them.  I'd be more surprised if this somehow trickled into ebay than anything else because there, mercari, even aliexpress the people there surely have the idea better than the amazon pool is what they're buying and from what source.

• Like 1

My guess is that this has to do with the fact that a large portion of used Nintendo sales are for collectors. And collectors can be quite picky about condition.

The Amazon platform only has stock images, it does not allow sellers to post photos of their specific item. I can imagine tons of collectors having initiated returns because they were not satisfied with the condition of the game they bought. Amazon probably just figured that the juice isn’t worth the squeeze.

I guess it was about the condition of the games since most did not have pictures.  It’s a shame because I had good luck with Amazon a few years ago on a CIB Swordmaster for the nes (dead mint but had no pictures), and a CIB Biker Mice From Mars for the SNES (good to very good range and again no pictures).