IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

18 minutes ago, RH said:

@creepsthething

If you need any of the Zelda's or a rated E SMB/SMB, hit me up.  I think I have some duplicates.  I'll have to check, but I know I have some of them.

@RHcan you shoot me a pic of the label for the following.  i trying to verify if there is a label variant or just a "wata" fubar.

7 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@RHcan you shoot me a pic of the label for the following.  i trying to verify if there is a label variant or just a "wata" fubar.

Label variants for what?  SMB, SMB2 or the 4 different Zelda versions.  They should all be on this post (somewhere).  I can get them when I dig them out.  Might be a little bit, but I'll try.

Just now, RH said:

Label variants for what?  SMB, SMB2 or the 4 different Zelda versions.  They should all be on this post (somewhere).  I can get them when I dig them out.  Might be a little bit, but I'll try.

lol no sorry about that...   no need pics of your labels for:

Hyper Lode Runner

Smurfs, The

• Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 1:48 PM, RpgCollector said:

The -1 re-release for both Castlevania Adventure and Castlevania II have the old Konami logo (even though the publisher was changed to Konami America) Skate or Die follows this pattern for early release Konami games

hold the freak on it there a Castlevania II  with a -1 cart???  what?? WHAT??  WHAT??   any photo i have yet to see one?????

Little bit of a question:

Are we doing Game Boy Color (black cartridge) label revisions too? Or is there a separate thread for those? I have here Tetris DX and Wario Land II, both with an updated E rating rerelease. 

ROM chip dates:

Tetris DX left: 9936

Tetris DX right: 0003

Wario Land II left: 9851

Wario Land II right: 9948 (latest chipdate overall is the RAM chip with 0007) 

EDIT: Other games that were also given this "updated E" treatment are Game & Watch Gallery 2, Link's Awakening DX, Super Mario Bros Deluxe, and Mario Golf. There also exists GBC NFR carts, such as Pokemon Gold/Silver and Wario Land 3. 

20201019_130128.jpg

20201102_114915.jpg

Edited by creepsthething

7 hours ago, creepsthething said:

Little bit of a question:

Are we doing Game Boy Color (black cartridge) label revisions too? Or is there a separate thread for those? I have here Tetris DX and Wario Land II, both with an updated E rating rerelease. 

ROM chip dates:

Tetris DX left: 9936

Tetris DX right: 0003

Wario Land II left: 9851

Wario Land II right: 9948 (latest chipdate overall is the RAM chip with 0007) 

20201019_130128.jpg

20201102_114915.jpg

Not really, but feel free to start another post on the matter similar to this one.

2 hours ago, RH said:

Not really, but feel free to start another post on the matter similar to this one.

Sure thing then (I noticed Pokemon Yellow was on the spreadsheet already, even though that is internally a "black cartridge" game as well).

Frogger has a grand total of FOUR label revisions, the same number as Link's Awakening on GB.

The variants are:

DMG-AFRE-USA (White E rating, Majesco Sales logo) (First)

DMG-AFRE-USA-1 (White E rating, Hasbro Interactive and Konami logos)

DMG-AFRE-USA-2 (Black E rating, Hasbro Interactive logo only) (Error) (this one I do own personally, shown below)

and DMG-AFRE-USA-3 (Black E rating, Hasbro Interactive and Konami logos)

It may be a good idea to log some of these on the spreadsheet in a separate section under the GB ones, just saying.

This copy's ROM chip date is 9942. 

20200828_161149.jpg

Edited by creepsthething

2 hours ago, JVOSS said:

@Hybridwhat are your 2 labels doubles.  and would you be willing to share a photo?

To be clear, in my opinion none of these count since I don’t see them as variants or errors caused by a production issue that resulted in multiple errors being generated at once.

I assume these labels were all applied mechanically, rather than by hand, but double labeling could happen with any game.  If anything, it’s an error-type that’s not game specific and having any double label counts as having a “variant”, if you even want to call it that.

For upside-down labels, I can only assume these were manually applied and the worker just didn’t pay attention.  Again, that could have happened to any game and having any upside down label for any game would count toward the “variant”, so to speak.

23 minutes ago, RH said:

To be clear, in my opinion none of these count since I don’t see them as variants or errors caused by a production issue that resulted in multiple errors being generated at once.

I assume these labels were all applied mechanically, rather than by hand, but double labeling could happen with any game.  If anything, it’s an error-type that’s not game specific and having any double label counts as having a “variant”, if you even want to call it that.

For upside-down labels, I can only assume these were manually applied and the worker just didn’t pay attention.  Again, that could have happened to any game and having any upside down label for any game would count toward the “variant”, so to speak.

the production issue is a very much a valid point. with the ones we see like Race Drivin', Pit Fighter they are missing a key feature of a production error and that key feature is the Factory number.  Now with the international double labels most double labels were to add a security/electronic protection such is the case of the 12 ESP carts.  then the others were to change regions for the carts.  example change from UKV to NOE or  UK to NOE...

These double labels are very much a "Variant" as they are repeatable/verified meaning they are not one off... unlike the upside down SML2...

IMHO,  carts like Race Drivin', Pit Fighter, NHL Hockey 95 should be added to the "variant" list just like any -1,-2 cart.

If I'm understanding @RHpoint, you would include them in to the rom variant list. 

• 2 weeks later...