IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

16 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

Marry Christmas 2021,  in this installment I present the group with a new variant cart.  This cart went unditected forever.  the manuals or box at the moment dose not show the change.(@RpgCollectormight be able to verify)  
brings the total to 5 carts for the Dr Mario Game Boy game.

here is that data.

DMG-VU-USA  ORGINAL 3 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-A SECOND PRINT  2 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-B-A THIRD PRINT ROM A, 2 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-1-A FOURTH PRINT, ROM A, PLAYER CHOICE, NO GAME LINK LOGO, RATED KA, NO MADE IN JAPAN ON LEFT SIDE

***DMG-VU-USA-2-A FIFTH PRINT, ROM A, NO PLAYER CHOICE, NO GAME LINK LOGO, RATED E SPRAY PAINT,  NO MADE IN JAPAN ON LEFT SIDE

(disclaimer)
***Clearly the Nintendo Gameboy labels do not have a -A,  -B  this is how i define a between label variant.
The second -A is to indicate what ROM bump in on the label.

one last the third print was for a short time.  so it will be mildly difficult to find.  for example out of the 10 2 Line Game Link Logos, I only have 1 third print.  for me it's a 10-1 ratio.

* Dr. Mario for those of us who've yet to memorize all of the codes. 😄

• Love 1

6 hours ago, JVOSS said:

Marry Christmas 2021,  in this installment I present the group with a new variant cart.  This cart went unditected forever.  the manuals or box at the moment dose not show the change.(@RpgCollectormight be able to verify)  
brings the total to 5 carts for the Dr Mario Game Boy game.

here is that data.

DMG-VU-USA  ORGINAL 3 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-A SECOND PRINT  2 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-B-A THIRD PRINT ROM A, 2 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-1-A FOURTH PRINT, ROM A, PLAYER CHOICE, NO GAME LINK LOGO, RATED KA, NO MADE IN JAPAN ON LEFT SIDE

***DMG-VU-USA-2-A FIFTH PRINT, ROM A, NO PLAYER CHOICE, NO GAME LINK LOGO, RATED E SPRAY PAINT,  NO MADE IN JAPAN ON LEFT SIDE

(disclaimer)
***Clearly the Nintendo Gameboy labels do not have a -A,  -B  this is how i define a between label variant.
The second -A is to indicate what ROM bump in on the label.

one last the third print was for a short time.  so it will be mildly difficult to find.  for example out of the 10 2 Line Game Link Logos, I only have 1 third print.  for me it's a 10-1 ratio.

I am in a giving mood so I will show the 7 box variants I found:

First release TM with Gameboy Video Link Game Pak cart/box/manual all no -

Second release TM with Game Link Game Pak cart/box/manual all no -

Third release TM with Game Link Game Pak Red Warranty Info on side cart/box/manual all no -

Fourth release R with Game Link Game Pak Red Warranty info on side cart/manual no - (manual does have R now) and box -1

Fifth release R with Game Link Game Pak Red Warranty Info changed cart no -/manual -1/box -2

Sixth release Million Seller K-A cart -1/manual -2/box -3

Seventh release Gameboy Pocket pack in cart -2/manual R no -/ Gameboy Pocket System Box Best Buy Exclusive

• Love 1

1 hour ago, RpgCollector said:

I am in a giving mood so I will show the 7 box variants I found:

First release TM with Gameboy Video Link Game Pak cart/box/manual all no -
Second release TM with Game Link Game Pak cart/box/manual all no -
Third release TM with Game Link Game Pak Red Warranty Info on side cart/box/manual all no -
Fourth release R with Game Link Game Pak Red Warranty info on side cart/manual no - (manual does have R now) and box -1
Fifth release R with Game Link Game Pak Red Warranty Info changed cart no -/manual -1/box -2
Sixth release Million Seller K-A cart -1/manual -2/box -3
Seventh release Gameboy Pocket pack in cart -2/manual R no -/ Gameboy Pocket System Box Best Buy Exclusive

to back up@RpgCollector, here is the data from my carts and a possible time line for the carts and box

First Release  1990   3 line link  and 2 line link (both with out ROM A and with in the same PCB date IC is the same)
Second Release 1991 2 line link ROM A
Third Release 1993 2 line link ROM A
Fourth Release 1994 2 line link ROM A
Fifth Release 1996 2 line link ROM A
Sixth Release 1997  Million seller ROM A (cart has R For DR. Mario)
Seventh Release 1998  best buy ROM A  Only one time frame for pcb and IC (Cart has R For Dr. Mario)

are we looking at needing 7 DMG-VU-USA Dr. Mario for the set or 5 for the set?  that is the new rabbit hole to go down...

what is everyone's thought? 

On 12/14/2021 at 6:55 PM, JVOSS said:

to back up@RpgCollector, here is the data from my carts and a possible time line for the carts and box

First Release  1990   3 line link  and 2 line link (both with out ROM A and with in the same PCB date IC is the same)
Second Release 1991 2 line link ROM A
Third Release 1993 2 line link ROM A
Fourth Release 1994 2 line link ROM A
Fifth Release 1996 2 line link ROM A
Sixth Release 1997  Million seller ROM A (cart has R For DR. Mario)
Seventh Release 1998  best buy ROM A  Only one time frame for pcb and IC (Cart has R For Dr. Mario)

are we looking at needing 7 DMG-VU-USA Dr. Mario for the set or 5 for the set?  that is the new rabbit hole to go down...

what is everyone's thought? 

Confusion mostly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

That makes 8.. but only 4 that have shipped

Looking at the website it looks like the exact same game as the original, just different box/cart. Am I missing out on something - why are they re-releasing a relatively common game?

4 hours ago, DK said:

Looking at the website it looks like the exact same game as the original, just different box/cart. Am I missing out on something - why are they re-releasing a relatively common game?

I've wondered this myself.  These aren't really desirable games, either.  I've not played any of these beyond a boot-up to be sure they worked when I bought them for my collection.  They maybe be great but none of them ever seem to be "classics".

So yeah, I have no clue why they re-release these.  I kind of get the Star Wars stuff because Star Wars!  But these obscure titles just don't make any sense to me.

LocK N' Chase, Sunsoft variant is for sale for $16 CAD and $6CAD shipped.  Not the best condition, but definitely not the worst.

This is especially good for anyone in Canada who doesn't want to deal with the export to Canada, but a reasonable price regardless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125152950608

Edited by RH
  • Wow! 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, RH said:

Did you just pick that one up for a good price on the bay?  There was one that look about like that within the last month or so.

Yes, whenever I see them, I just go ahead and buy them now. Besides the clean ML1 and ML2 that I am keeping for me, this is the second one I’ve picked up on eBay to share.

I paid $16 all in for it, will sell it at cost+shipping 

4 hours ago, phart010 said:

Yes, whenever I see them, I just go ahead and buy them now. Besides the clean ML1 and ML2 that I am keeping for me, this is the second one I’ve picked up on eBay to share.

I paid $16 all in for it, will sell it at cost+shipping 

yep that is a set killer. nice price for the condition of the cart.  what did your ml1 look like by the way?

Oh, I also managed to get a DKC2 for about $100 shipped a couple of weeks ago.  It was an auction that ended in the middle of the week, and I was shocked my lowball bid went through.  It is in reasonably good shape (for an NFR) and has a sticker on the back.  There was also a Kirby Blockball that ended in the middle of the week that also had a sticker and looked to be in good condition.  I did not win that one.  It was another, lowball $101 bid, but it still went for less than $125.  Not a bad score for whomever got that one.  There are also a few other GB NFRs on eBay right now, but they aren't the ones with NFR stickers on the front.  They are standard carts, with stickers on the back which, IMHO, I'd never want to touch.  Swapping out the backs of "cheaper" NFR on rarer ones seems too easy to do to fake it.