IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If ya'll get annoyed by these posts, feel free to let me know.  Anyway, here's a Tetris Attack NFR for $50 shipped.  The label is a little worn, but it does have a partial back label.  It seems to me that getting NFRs with the red and white NFR badge on the front are getting a bit harder to find under $100, much less $75.  If I didn't own this one already, I'd probably pick it up.  The screw does looks a little rusty, so you might want to swap that out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255552896696

Edited by RH

On 3/3/2022 at 7:05 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced wario blast nfr. The one listed has been up forever and the guy isn't willing to budge.

You mean the guy with the $600 Wario Land?  Yeah, no.  I won't buy an NFR that has a standard front label, but it does have a back label unless it's super-cheap.  It. can be too easily faked.  Most NFRs are worth a nice penny, but what's to stop someone form taking a cheaper game (like that Tetris Attack, or a Ken Grifffey) an slapping that on the back of a "rarer" Game Boy game that only had a back label for an NFR.  For me, thats a pass.

Yea $50 is pre covid prices. I was half tempted to pick it up just to have an extra.

I don't see the wario blast for sale and there's no sold/completed listing so it must have been taken down.

I still haven't seen proof of a wario blast with a back label either.

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

On 5/27/2022 at 11:56 PM, JVOSS said:

sorry what?????

All the nfr cartridges supposedly have back stickers as well. Someone was saying previously that they are only interested in copies where the back sticker hasn't been peeled off. All the copies of wario blast that I've seen didn't have any back sticker or residue left from one. One of the copies I've seen was in a lot that was supposedly received directly from nintendo and it was the only one missing a back sticker. So, I was saying I still haven't seen any proof that these nfr cartridges come with back stickers.

18 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

All the nfr cartridges supposedly have back stickers as well. Someone was saying previously that they are only interested in copies where the back sticker hasn't been peeled off. All the copies of wario blast that I've seen didn't have any back sticker or residue left from one. One of the copies I've seen was in a lot that was supposedly received directly from nintendo and it was the only one missing a back sticker. So, I was saying I still haven't seen any proof that these nfr cartridges come with back stickers.

I’m the guy who only wants NFRs that are marked as NFRs on the front, but I want them with the back labels if they came that way. @JVOSS, I know you’ve been looking at these more thoroughly and longer than I have, did any of the NFRs for the GB not have those back labels? I would be surprised if they didn’t because even DS games have them and I’ve seen them on clear shell GBC games too.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, RH said:

I’m the guy who only wants NFRs that are marked as NFRs on the front, but I want them with the back labels if they came that way. @JVOSS, I know you’ve been looking at these more thoroughly and longer than I have, did any of the NFRs for the GB not have those back labels? I would be surprised if they didn’t because even DS games have them and I’ve seen them on clear shell GBC games too.

so nfr prior to ds was a 50/50.  at first nintendo required all DEMO or NFR to be returned so Nintendo did what any good owner did the make it a smaller program put NFR and back stickers just to cover the screw and to serialize it.  this insured they would get a most back.  but as the gameboy expanded so did this program.  from what i can see they did the back sticker on every nfr and "kiosk" demo to ensure they would get them back for destruction.  now larger stores mainly best buy and circuit city did return the games but shops like game stop/game link and other "mom and pop" stores the employees was not as honest.  when the GBC arrived they decreased the NFR and Kiosk demo so the need for tracking and serialization was removed.  this differed with DS and 3DS but that was under a different director.  some of the NFR were also used for reviewers like Wario as of yet the the 9 or so i have had did not have the sticker..  but that is not to say that someone did not do a back switch out.

no for me the back sticker is less important on a label NFR but for the Kiosk NFR will you can hold your breath on that.  now days the Kiosk nfrs are a thing of question. as the stickers can be reproduced out of any printer.  i have even see the file floating around.  i'll document the kiosk nfr but will not buy as they have imho no extra value. 

so in my opinion the Wario "sticker" debate is viable and has merit for both.  ie with back sticker and with out.

39 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Looks like a knockoff to me. Is it normal for some of the Chinese games to have the square corner stickers?

I thought that too. I think Super Mario Land - For China Only might be the only one with square corners.

My copy is square, and here is another that's square:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165206960468

2 hours ago, DK said:

I thought that too. I think Super Mario Land - For China Only might be the only one with square corners.

My copy is square, and here is another that's square:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/165206960468

Yes,  the Square cornors is one the ways to insure your getting an original FCO.  on a few FCO did not come as a square corners.  tetris is the most common that dose not have square corners.  where as SML is the most common Square corners.  now you can make a argument for the square corners to be a label variant because all fco can have the rounded corners. 

14 hours ago, JVOSS said:

Yes,  the Square cornors is one the ways to insure your getting an original FCO.  on a few FCO did not come as a square corners.  tetris is the most common that dose not have square corners.  where as SML is the most common Square corners.  now you can make a argument for the square corners to be a label variant because all fco can have the rounded corners. 

I’ve always seen FCO with round corners, in fact I don’t think I’ve seen one with square corners until now

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

I’ve always seen FCO with round corners, in fact I don’t think I’ve seen one with square corners until now

here you have the 3 most common FCO Square Connors.  i have them listed in the collection as variants due to the Square corners.  from what i can find and that if very limited the square corners are from early mainland china releases.  Where as the rounder corners was from a  Taiwan  company. 

1247115408_chn-fcovariants.jpg.b732f305c9037bac0be2103b36555a43.jpg

23 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

here you have the 3 most common FCO Square Connors.  i have them listed in the collection as variants due to the Square corners.  from what i can find and that if very limited the square corners are from early mainland china releases.  Where as the rounder corners was from a  Taiwan  company. 

Have you ever seen a round cornered Mario Land FCO?

40 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

1247115408_chn-fcovariants.jpg.b732f305c9037bac0be2103b36555a43.jpg

I seem to recall my CHN games having MANI stamped somewhere on the pcb. I believe Mani is the name of the company that manufactured these games. All of my CHN games are round corner. I wonder if the square corner one says MANI on the pcb?

9 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I seem to recall my CHN games having MANI stamped somewhere on the pcb. I believe Mani is the name of the company that manufactured these games. All of my CHN games are round corner. I wonder if the square corner one says MANI on the pcb?

yes the do. 

also the early early CHN carts use offical nintendo chips and the did not epoxie cover them. so you have a min of 3 different pcb for this cart SM1.

tetris is also the same way for pcb they have the unepoxied and epoxied version.  so that was a great find.