IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

On 8/4/2021 at 2:39 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Finally picked up the bill and Ted corrected! Has anyone ever seen this version sold with the manual or box?  It looks like they just stuck a German translated manual insert in the box but it still has the US country code. I'm still waiting to get it in the mail to see what it looks like in closer detail. Interesting that there is also the US manual included. 

Any other examples of manuals like this?

Slightly embarrassed to say I have 7 of these, so maybe I can help. 

Before the official NOE release of the game they (who they is is not clear to me) took USA versions, slapped a sticker on the box and inserted a German manual.

There seem to be 3 variants of the German manual.

1. The single folded sheet you have

2. A photocopy of the NOE manual, but with a USA cover

3. A black and white NOE manual.

The date codes on 6 of the boxes I have are all 10709, one has a code of 10902. The official NOE release box has a code of 20319.

Oddly enough NOT all of them had the LJN logo error cart. 4 had the right logo, 3 had the error. 

Link to pics of the items described: https://imgur.com/a/h77tokh

Edited by DK
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DK said:

Before the official NOE release of the game they (who they is is not clear to me) took USA versions, slapped a sticker on the box and inserted a German manual.

The date codes on 6 of the boxes I have are all 10709, one has a code of 10902. The official NOE release box has a code of 20319.

Oddly enough NOT all of them had the LJN logo error cart. 4 had the right logo, 3 had the error. 

Link to pics of the items described: https://imgur.com/a/95gl7pB

not to side track the post.  i have not been able to find any B&T outside of the US and according to your photos they have a NOE box...  Can you provide a pic of the back? or verify it is a "The Game LTD" box...

18 minutes ago, DK said:

Link to pics of the items described: https://imgur.com/a/h77tokh

Jeez man. There really is always someone with a worse obsession to be found. Hahaha thanks for sharing all these.

It looks mine is a slightly different variation or at least a mismatch. None of your sets with the German single sheet have the corrected logo.

Or maybe you just didn't show that one

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

29 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Jeez man. There really is always someone with a worse obsession to be found. Hahaha thanks for sharing all these.

It looks mine is a slightly different variation or at least a mismatch. None of your sets with the German single sheet have the corrected logo.

Or maybe you just didn't show that one

I didn't take pictures of all of them, but two of my single sheet only have the corrected logo cart.

33 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

not to side track the post.  i have not been able to find any B&T outside of the US and according to your photos they have a NOE box...  Can you provide a pic of the back? or verify it is a "The Game LTD" box...

What is a Game LTD box?

There are 4 regional variations of B&T beyond USA: FRG, AUS, UKV and NOE.

PXL_20210806_005227834.jpg

PXL_20210806_005317740.jpg

thegameltd.jpg.f551184716e9b1cf36c785ca702065f3.jpg

27 minutes ago, DK said:

What is a Game LTD box?

"THE Game Ltd" is one of many distributors for UK/NOE games from 91-96 IRC.

In the fine print of the boxes you will see who distributed the game or hardware.

the NOE box you show is Distributed though ACCLAIM Entertainment's network.

Specially items like this PGB FAT box was one of the "THE Game Ltd"s specially areas.

I have not looked very hard at GB Boxes to know what they did distributed.MGB-VA-UKV-SYS-2-SIB.jpg.c81da960e366b8f659b2bc9e4ad720b8.jpg

Edited by JVOSS

here is a list of uncorrected CART labels.

DMG-CN-USA-1   Operation C

DMG-DL-USA-1   Dragon's Lair: The Legend

DMG-FT-USA-A   NFL Football (NON REV LABEL)
DMG-FT-USA       NFL Football

DMG-AC8E-USA    CutThroat Island

DMG-ATUE-USA     Turok: Battle of the Bionosaurs

DMG-KD-USA         Skate Or Die: Tour de Thrash (DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BOX)

DMG-ARDE-USA     Race Days 2 Full Games In 1 Game Pak

I have not been able to find a corrected version so please if you have the corrected version post a picture. 

hey @Splaincan we get an update to the master list whenever you get a chance before some of the variants get lost in the comments?

The total variant count should be 127

These should be removed from the USA tab

DuckTales ('DMG' Label)
Q Billion (Black Nintendo Logo)
Rescue of Princess Blobette, The (Fixed Serial No.)
Space Invaders: The Arcade Game    DMG-SP-USA-1
Wario Blast: Featuring Bomberman! Rev-1

12 New Entries:

I've updated the list tabs 'USA' and 'Stage' here to make it easier to copy:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wQwADwKV3nWlMF8IBxY0VUAp8rl2p51X5tIfWGX9FLs/edit#gid=0

If others can take a look to verify for errors or missing content, that would be helpful.

Thanks

@samsamsamsmasmasma

Why remove these?
   DuckTales ('DMG' Label)  <---- this is the variant the DMT is the original first run..
   Q Billion (Black Nintendo Logo) <-------- this is the variant the Red is the original first run
   Rescue of Princess Blobette, The (Fixed Serial No.)  <------ this is the variant the no "-" is the original first run

sorry more to follow...

Edited by JVOSS

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

@samsamsamsmasmasma

Why remove these? 
   DuckTales ('DMG' Label)

Q Billion (Black Nintendo Logo)
    Rescue of Princess Blobette, The (Fixed Serial No.)

Meant to say remove the error version for rescue of princess blobette since there is a revision number associated with the corrected version.  I had the correct one removed in the spreadsheet  just copied the wrong one to the reply.

Q Billion black logo should be removed because it's the initial release and having it on the list makes it seem like there are 3 total versions.  I was under the impression that the red logo was the revision?

Same with duck tales. There's only two versions of the cartridge. One needs to go from the variant list. I like keeping the error annotated as the variant when possible especially when there is no revision number associated so I say remove the corrected version.

Just depends on which version you like keeping in your base set.  I keep the 'DMG' version in mine similar to Bill and Ted I suppose.  The error one is annotated in the master list rather than the corrected even though the corrected came after. I suppose it's really just an arbitrary convention.

@samsamsamsmasmasma
i created the spreadsheet and for context, I added these because I wanted to catalog variants and oddities, even if they were more common. This is intended to be a reference point for cataloging individual collections but also searching. This is also why Space Invaders and Wario 3 are on there. There is a good chance that there is no Rev-0 out there. However, there had to be some reason why the ones we find all start with Rev-1. My guess is they spotted a change in production before they shipped and simply got new labels. However, if a small handful slipped out into the public, and even if there is just a case or two of Space Invaders or Warios that are Rev-0, that would be a HUGE find, and the current entries provide a reference point on the spreadsheet to look out for the "white whales" that probably don't exist.

I hope that makes sense. Not all variants on the list are true variants. They might just be entries for notes for potential variants no on has found yet, but there is a slim chance they might exist.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

@samsamsamsmasmasma
i created the spreadsheet and for context, I added these because I wanted to catalog variants and oddities, even if they were more common. This is intended to be a reference point for cataloging individual collections but also searching. This is also why Space Invaders and Wario 3 are on there. There is a good chance that there is no Rev-0 out there. However, there had to be some reason why the ones we find all start with Rev-1. My guess is they spotted a change in production before they shipped and simply got new labels. However, if a small handful slipped out into the public, and even if there is just a case or two of Space Invaders or Warios that are Rev-0, that would be a HUGE find, and the current entries provide a reference point on the spreadsheet to look out for the "white whales" that probably don't exist.

I hope that makes sense. Not all variants on the list are true variants. They might just be entries for notes for potential variants no on has found yet, but there is a slim chance they might exist.

your looking for Oddities.. look at these one..

here is a list of uncorrected CART labels.

DMG-CN-USA-1   Operation C
DMG-DL-USA-1   Dragon's Lair: The Legend
DMG-FT-USA-A   NFL Football (NON REV LABEL)
DMG-FT-USA       NFL Football
DMG-AC8E-USA    CutThroat Island
DMG-ATUE-USA     Turok: Battle of the Bionosaurs
DMG-KD-USA         Skate Or Die: Tour de Thrash (DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BOX)
DMG-ARDE-USA     Race Days 2 Full Games In 1 Game Pak

i was hopping someone would ask about?

36 minutes ago, RH said:

@samsamsamsmasmasma

Someone made another tab for potential variants and listed them there so I figured they didn't need to be listed on the master list tab

Also, someone made the 'Stage' tab in the master list and there were quite few errors present in it.  I tried along with @JVOSSto correct quite a few of them. Not sure why we need both tabs to begin with as there is a lot of redundant information there.

Updated List

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wQwADwKV3nWlMF8IBxY0VUAp8rl2p51X5tIfWGX9FLs/edit#gid=0

Editorials Team · Posted

Yes, sorry, I started that Stage tab a long time ago to be an eventual replacement for the Master tab when it was finished, and then life got crazy for various reasons. It's nowhere near finished, but the idea was to list every cart that had a variant, even the "original" ones, because in some cases the variant is more common than the orginal, and people can sort the info in whatever way is useful for them.

The kids started school this week so I should have more time to get back to it. Thanks for the corrected version @samsamsamsmasmasma

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2021 at 10:56 PM, creepsthething said:

Just ordered myself a DMG-VU-USA-2 and a DMG-TR-USA-2! I'll check out the chipcode dates with you guys when they come. 

And now (a bit scuffed up) DMG-VU-USA-2 is here!

Chipcode date is 9835 (late August 98), and the PCB manufacture date is ALSO dated August 1998.

20211004_155818.jpg

20211004_155842.jpg

20211004_155902.jpg

Edited by creepsthething
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Did we ever figure out any visual differences between Mr. Chin rev-0 and rev-1? I've got them both in front of me; I'm doing the "Magic Eye" trick, and I can't find any differences other than the revision number (and product code font).

I updated the spreadsheet linked on the first page, with all the info about all the revisions in the Stage tab. It only took me several months, lol. All of the known revisions are listed, as well as identifying visual info for every cart, so that even if the first-run cart is the one you need, you can know what it looks like. I'll start adding links to photos, since there are lots of good photos in this thread.

So we'll just keep pretending this is all the known variant info, and maybe RPG will share some more info for Christmas...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Splain said:

Did we ever figure out any visual differences between Mr. Chin rev-0 and rev-1? I've got them both in front of me; I'm doing the "Magic Eye" trick, and I can't find any differences other than the revision number (and product code font).

I updated the spreadsheet linked on the first page, with all the info about all the revisions in the Stage tab. It only took me several months, lol. All of the known revisions are listed, as well as identifying visual info for every cart, so that even if the first-run cart is the one you need, you can know what it looks like. I'll start adding links to photos, since there are lots of good photos in this thread.

So we'll just keep pretending this is all the known variant info, and maybe RPG will share some more info for Christmas...

Check the date stamps. My guess might be that if they rereleased the game, they had the master image file for the middle, but lost the file responsible for the text on the solver bars? Maybe, that's and it's only a new revision because they had to remake the label.

• 4 weeks later...

Just doing the data here and found a few carts that are will cause the cib collectors some heart troubles during this time of the year.

as all know i have been tracking the ROM versions, and the correlation to the of manual version numbers to cart to box.  so here is one for the books, and verification.  

Robocop DMG-CP-USA  released in 1990 may IRC. how ever they had a rom update in May of 1991 and at this time they updated the box, manual to include the "R" mark on Gameboy.  provide the pic of the manual as i don't do boxes.  

also Robocop had no -1 cart revision update. making this one a good candidate to add to this list.

DMG-CP-USA-A-M.jpg.e6b53c048f5bf499404fefa80dd1710d.jpgDMG-CP-USA--M.jpg.478ae58785288e47ceed76907745e8b3.jpg