IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

1 hour ago, RpgCollector said:

Carts are different. Original is 20 and rerelease is 22A on imprint. Also if you look under powerful MagnifyGlass next to Gameboy is TM on first release and R on the rerelease

i have different imprint numbers org is 28 and the rerelease is 12A.    damnn you @RpgCollector, now i have to find these also  😛😛😛😛😛😛😛.    happy hunting.

4 hours ago, JVOSS said:

@RpgCollectordo you have the box difference for The Chessmaster DMG-EM  or Star Wars DMG-WS?  not many cibs to look at for comparison.  the game each have a -1 update but also have a ROM update that is not associated with the Label -1 Update.

If they have a ROM update at the very least the imprint on the label has to have the letter A right? Even if the label itself is not updated to '-1'? 

1 hour ago, Splain said:

lol are you kidding me.

@JVOSS are you saying the Star Wars and Chessmaster carts also have new variants, or was this change reflected in the incremented revision for each?

YEP.  a total of 34 so far that have/ a/b rom  up date with out a rev update.

Star Wars was the hardest to find as the ROM changed happend in the -1 update and not inbetween like most.  on the StarWars you will be looking for the rom in the -1 version... little hard to see but here is what you have for Star Wars...

this is the 2nd issue of Star Wars it is DMG-WS-USA-1  on the label lower right on the pic you can see the 22 in the ESRB

DMG-WS-USA-1.thumb.JPG.feb03e30508a4595fadfed017e1b3328.JPG

this is the 3rd issue of the Star Wars it is a DMG-WS-USA-1  it has the rom update you can make out the 12A lower right the "A" is on the silver part of the sticker.  (trying to get a better pic but it not working out ill try tomorrow)

DMG-WS-USA-1A.thumb.jpg.73b1048705cef1cde077b7388e8397ec.jpg

and this is the orginal Star Wars DMG-WS-USA  not sure what this numbers.  (again my photos are not coming clear)

DMG-WS-USA.thumb.jpg.2e355014d7335cfe2bdef057f85e8cba.jpg

1 hour ago, Splain said:

lol are you kidding me.

@JVOSS are you saying the Star Wars and Chessmaster carts also have new variants, or was this change reflected in the incremented revision for each?

The Chessmaster DMG-EM-USA has Rom update that gose between the Orginal and the -1 label change.

Here is the orginal DMG-EM-USADMG-EM-USA.thumb.jpg.4ca3d92c06eead8ae9c43351b03d1786.jpg

here is 2nd release of DMG-EM-USA  it has a Rom update but no label update.  you can see the 22A clearly

DMG-EM-USA-A.thumb.jpg.7de545c6a55866bbd7afbf592e5d7ad7.jpg

here is the third issue of DMG-EM-USA-1  with a label change due to company change and you can see the 22A next to the hand.

DMG-EM-USA-1.thumb.jpg.cf125dbfedf7d2634e4a6dae2f129e05.jpg

Here is the hardest on to find right now.  Street Fighter.

the rom update happened between the Original and the -1 Label update.

Original  DMG-ASFE-USA.jpg.6a3ab546bd7bdbe9a4a231cd91d4586f.jpg

Second Release this one has "A" rom update  the embossed number here is 00A

DMG-ASFE-USA-A.thumb.jpg.6bbb1886f034478b301dc1b733aa88d6.jpg

this is the final release or 3rd release with a label update and "A" rom

DMG-ASFE-USA-1.thumb.jpg.e1568298a5a87b132c5428c765bc4f05.jpg

in the case of each on there is a manual update to go with this.  so example

DMG-WS-USA is manual DMG-SW-USA

DMG-WS-USA-1 with out rom is manual DMG-WS-USA-1

DMG-WS-USA-1 with ROM A update is Manual DMG-WS-USA-2  now this manual and box series is very hard to find  i have yet to see -2 box to compaire to the -1 box or original box. the -2 manual did surface for a quick min last year how ever i failed to get i'm guessing it was @RpgCollectorthat got it before i did.  😛😛😛😛😛😛

As with most of the "A" rom updates the boxes might have had an update but again i don't collect the boxes so i'm unclear as to this.

do the "A"rom updates belong on this list????  may be but for sure the CP or RoboCop dose as it does have a label update however small it is it is a label update just like the 2/3 line Game Link logos.  so depending on what @Splainand @RHsay.  we many be looking at a whole new area to add to this growing list.  @Splainand @RHshould you need the support data let me know.

a little self promoting the other games are listed at the ROM List in my sig line..

Happy Hunting and Game ON...  😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛😛

Editorials Team · Posted

I went ahead and added Robocop to the spreadsheet. ROM updates are definitely an interesting area of GB cart history, and the stamp on the label is very close to being a "label variant" but I'd say it should be stored in a different list than the label variants we've already got. Because then you start getting into facility codes etc.

5 minutes ago, Splain said:

I went ahead and added Robocop to the spreadsheet. ROM updates are definitely an interesting area of GB cart history, and the stamp on the label is very close to being a "label variant" but I'd say it should be stored in a different list than the label variants we've already got. Because then you start getting into facility codes etc.

will about that Facility code.  i have a list for that to.  it quite interesting.  the spreed sheet is out to DD right now.  and of the USA codes the most common is 20.

• Wow! 1

On 11/30/2021 at 10:08 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Picked up my copies of robocop... thanks for the early Christmas present! I'm only 1 retail variant short and 3 nfr!!1!1!

happy new year. you have all 146 variants that is great. I just picked up my EM-A variant, it was difficult to find that one.  where did you find the F1 with out rom variant.  

Edited by JVOSS

I think I am giving up on NFRs they are getting more and more expensive and when they pop up, they never have back stickers, which I "require".

Good luck to you all hunting them down. I do pick up the random variant from time to time and I still love you guys updates. This thread has met and exceeded my intial expectations when I started it.

• Like 1

I need kid dracula Rev 1 for retail

And for nfr I need Kirbys Dreamland 2, killer instinct, and wario blast.

Just waiting for decent copies. So far I've picked up decent copies for all under $100 each. Got mislabeled dkl1 for $30!!! Almost in perfect condition with the back label intact. All within the last 2 years.

Should of jumped on the decent copy of kirby for $150 few months back. Wario Blast should be manageable just all the ones that have sold lately have not been great or way too high priced considering its one of the more common ones.

12 hours ago, RH said:

I think I am giving up on NFRs they are getting more and more expensive and when they pop up, they never have back stickers, which I "require".

Good luck to you all hunting them down. I do pick up the random variant from time to time and I still love you guys updates. This thread has met and exceeded my intial expectations when I started it.

Are you sure that all of the nfrs have back stickers? There's two I'm thinking of, one was wario blast that I've never seen a sticker on. Even one guy that received multiple nfrs directly from a nintendo employee the sticker was missing only on this one and it was in perfect condition. I'll have to look for picture to remember what the second one was.

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

13 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

I need kid dracula Rev 1 for retail

And for nfr I need Kirbys Dreamland 2, killer instinct, and wario blast.

Just waiting for decent copies. So far I've picked up decent copies for all under $100 each. Got mislabeled dkl1 for $30!!! Almost in perfect condition with the back label intact. All within the last 2 years.

Should of jumped on the decent copy of kirby for $150 few months back. Wario Blast should be manageable just all the ones that have sold lately have not been great or way too high priced considering its one of the more common ones.

VERY nice.  finished up the retail, the dis is done now working on the ROM variants i think i have just looking for conformation on The Smurf, F1 Race and Hyper Load Runner to see if they have a non rom version.  if they don't have a non rom A version then i have a full set of USA Games total cart count is 654. if the do have a non rom A cart then the count is 653 with wisdom tree in both counts. 

• 2 weeks later...

Marry Christmas 2021,  in this installment I present the group with a new variant cart.  This cart went unditected forever.  the manuals or box at the moment dose not show the change.(@RpgCollectormight be able to verify)  
brings the total to 5 carts for the Dr Mario Game Boy game.

here is that data.

DMG-VU-USA  ORGINAL 3 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-A SECOND PRINT  2 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-B-A THIRD PRINT ROM A, 2 LINE GAMEBOY GAME LINK LOGO

***DMG-VU-USA-1-A FOURTH PRINT, ROM A, PLAYER CHOICE, NO GAME LINK LOGO, RATED KA, NO MADE IN JAPAN ON LEFT SIDE

***DMG-VU-USA-2-A FIFTH PRINT, ROM A, NO PLAYER CHOICE, NO GAME LINK LOGO, RATED E SPRAY PAINT,  NO MADE IN JAPAN ON LEFT SIDE

(disclaimer)
***Clearly the Nintendo Gameboy labels do not have a -A,  -B  this is how i define a between label variant.
The second -A is to indicate what ROM bump in on the label.

one last the third print was for a short time.  so it will be mildly difficult to find.  for example out of the 10 2 Line Game Link Logos, I only have 1 third print.  for me it's a 10-1 ratio.

• Like 1