IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

2 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Cool find!

I think the bill and Ted corrected label also belongs in this discussion you all are having. It was a label with a USA code that was only released in Europe.

I live pretty close to the border. I wonder if it's worth going over to some game shops.

ok ill bite.  what on earth are you saying here? Bill and ted had it own release in NOE/UKV/FRG/ and AUS. the fact that the games went to EAU is possible.....

2 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Cool find!

I think the bill and Ted corrected label also belongs in this discussion you all are having. It was a label with a USA code that was only released in Europe.

I live pretty close to the border. I wonder if it's worth going over to some game shops.

even looking at the board data for B&T is only 7 week apart.

1 hour ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

1672133553_s-l1600(7).jpg.1ecfdd5f5b610bedc2f29d74df7d333e.jpg

ok so as i understand what your are saying is that the "corrected" B&T was only available outside the USA and that this was only for the German market....  

humm....... hummm.......  so open the cart and look at Chip date/PCB Code/PCB Date/PCB Factory Code/  your label will be a factory code 22 and i'm guessing the pcb date is between 9109-9110..

Edited by JVOSS

9 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

1672133553_s-l1600(7).jpg.1ecfdd5f5b610bedc2f29d74df7d333e.jpg

This is very interesting.  Even though I own a corrected copy of this game (it was probably the first hard to find variant I tracked down and purchased, well, if you don't count the Rev-3 Link's Awakening, which isn't that hard to find).

I think this reasonably confirms that this was for a fact, distributed in Europe.  The follow-up question is was it exclusively distributed in Europe?  MY gut says yes, but that's not reliable.

@JVOSS, I think I know the answer to this but since I don't really study game board and chip details that much, are there any identification markers on games that might state where games were at least manufactured for?  I'm guessing not, since I assume 100% of these game chips were flashed and assembled in Japan, but if something is etched on a chip that would elude it was intended for Europe/Germany, that would help identify where this came from.

But, now that I think about it, if we had those details on these chips, we wouldn't have the discussions about Pokemons, B&T games or even Raging Fighter.

9 hours ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

The USA label with the corrected logo was seemingly only released in Europe. Mine was from Germany and even came with the German manual 

I have 5 of these German manual variants. 3 of them came with the whited-out LJN logo, all purchased from Germany.

My guess is that it was just a very late print of the game, and a large order came in from a company in Europe that repackaged them with that sticker on the box and the German manual.

So, my guess is that it was sold in USA too, but in much fewer quantities than Europe.

The date codes for all of my corrected logo carts are 9139.

PXL_20230324_131351391.jpg

2 hours ago, DK said:

I have 5 of these German manual variants. 3 of them came with the whited-out LJN logo, all purchased from Germany.

My guess is that it was just a very late print of the game, and a large order came in from a company in Europe that repackaged them with that sticker on the box and the German manual.

So, my guess is that it was sold in USA too, but in much fewer quantities than Europe.

The date codes for all of my corrected logo carts are 9139.

PXL_20230324_131351391.jpg

Interesting theory.  I'd also speculate that there's a chance that the corrected batch might have never been sold in the US, but might have been assembled in the US, but sales were declining.  If this was released later in Germany, they might have taken the batch of cartridges-only and shipped them in boxes to Germany for packaging.  So, these could have been US made, but back stock that they determined was better to just sell outside the US, rather than try to make a limited retail push.

Part of the reason why I think that could have happen was because a few years ago, I did run into a guy in the UK who, I think, found in an old storage shed after his Dad died, boxes with official Nintendo identifiers and identification signs of F1 Racer.  He mentioned that his Dad was part of the distribution network and assembling that stuff and, apparently, these games were made in mass as cartridges (and put in their dust covers) and then shipped in boxes that were quantities of 100-150 (I can't recall, but it was in that range) to the facilities in their final countries of origin where they were finally boxed and distributed to retailers.

This makes sense.  I bet Nintendo 100% wanted to control the manufacturing and assembly of their cartridges back then for QA reasons, but regarding boxes and manuals, they left it to local regions.  NOA might have had a surplus of these carts and just internally sold and shipped them to Germany for packaging and distribution over there.

Oh, and regarding those 3x cases that guy had of F1 Racing that were just carts and dust cases.  I offered to buy a box from him and he had a reasonable price but he wasn't sure he wanted to sell.  One case was opened, and the two others were still taped shut.  He never got back to me, which is a shame.  One of those cases was going to be a "show piece" of my collection, even if all of the carts were UKV.  

1 hour ago, RH said:

This makes sense.  I bet Nintendo 100% wanted to control the manufacturing and assembly of their cartridges back then for QA reasons, but regarding boxes and manuals, they left it to local regions.  NOA might have had a surplus of these carts and just internally sold and shipped them to Germany for packaging and distribution over there.

All of the boxes and manuals that came with the carts are -USA branded (That's right, even the German manual is USA branded), so I don't think it would make any sense for the carts to be shipped separate and then repackaged with their correct boxes.

Also, Germany got it's own NOE branded B+T release so I think this is one of those things where a certain country had a demand for a game that didn't have a release - so this was just a stop-gap for a while until the NOE release was finalized.

Here is a pic of the progression of German manuals - insert that is USA coded, black and white NOE coded, and the last is the one that came with the real NOE release.

image.thumb.png.4dc49f5f2138e6e68626df834d7c5ccc.png

I went through the 6 boxes I have with the German sticker on the front. 5 have a date code of 10709 and only one had 10902 - which had a revised cart in it and the black and white NOE manual.

For reference, my personal copy that I bought at Electronics Boutique back in the day has a 10709 box code.

image.png.7558e9854d427bb4fbc295404234a4f0.png

Edited by DK

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Should be interested to see what this goes for auction. I may throw in a couple of bids just to inflate the price

I’d rather you didn’t.  I mean, someone else might do that, but IMHO, if this one goes for more than the average SML auction, or even a bit, it would just show that others are actually paying attention and desiring this thing.

But hey, if you want/need one and want to throw out a legit bit more than FMV, be my guest.

8 hours ago, RH said:

I’d rather you didn’t.  I mean, someone else might do that, but IMHO, if this one goes for more than the average SML auction, or even a bit, it would just show that others are actually paying attention and desiring this thing.

But hey, if you want/need one and want to throw out a legit bit more than FMV, be my guest.

I was just joking mang

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, _Brink_ said:

I won the SML -2.  Only 12 away from completing the variants list on this thread now (not including NFR's - havent gone for those at this point).  Thanks for the collective info over the years guys!! 

very nice on the 12 away. 

Question are you including the 3 double labels?

As a guilty plug check out the rom variant list.  it's got a lot of interesting things.. 

1 hour ago, _Brink_ said:

I won the SML -2.  Only 12 away from completing the variants list on this thread now (not including NFR's - havent gone for those at this point).  Thanks for the collective info over the years guys!! 

Congratulations! Did they ship it out yet by chance? I won a different auction from them (Wario Land 2), paid right away but have heard nothing. Had to open the case requesting payment/shipment today. I'm wondering if they're ignoring mine because it went too low in their eyes.

4 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Congratulations! Did they ship it out yet by chance? I won a different auction from them (Wario Land 2), paid right away but have heard nothing. Had to open the case requesting payment/shipment today. I'm wondering if they're ignoring mine because it went too low in their eyes.

Yes, I actually received it today.  It arrived in a 6x6x6 box, just rattling around, lol.  Seller definitely has a questionable ebay rating.   Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

very nice on the 12 away. 

Question are you including the 3 double labels?

As a guilty plug check out the rom variant list.  it's got a lot of interesting things.. 

I wasnt including double labels.  I do have the NHL 95 & Race Drivin though - missing Pitfighter.

Currently am 17 away on the complete CHN set as well (not FCO yet) - really feels like Im all alone pursuing this over the past few years with very little competition.  Im a sucker for condition, otherwise Id be much closer.  Hopefully will finish it within a few more years.

I'll check out the rom variant list for sure.  Thanks

11 minutes ago, _Brink_ said:

I wasnt including double labels.  I do have the NHL 95 & Race Drivin though - missing Pitfighter.

Currently am 17 away on the complete CHN set as well (not FCO yet) - really feels like Im all alone pursuing this over the past few years with very little competition.  Im a sucker for condition, otherwise Id be much closer.  Hopefully will finish it within a few more years.

oops also forgot about the Spanish Pokemon.  have you found them yet??...

12 minutes ago, _Brink_ said:

That CHN set was very difficult to find and finish. at times i was just getting to get, with the intention of upgrading later on.  the one of the comes to might is the Zettai Muteki Raijin-Oh i got with just the catalog code it took another 3 years before i found one to replace it.

and for the CHN don't forget about the variants.  and depending how far down the rabbit hole you go you will have to look in the Mani Board variants..