IGNORED

Work In Progress: Complete List of NA(US) Game Boy Cartridge Variants

RH

6 hours ago, _Brink_ said:

I won the SML -2.  Only 12 away from completing the variants list on this thread now (not including NFR's - havent gone for those at this point).  Thanks for the collective info over the years guys!! 

I was thinking about bidding but I figured someone here was after it so didn’t want to fight for it

• Like 1

Check this out. I picked this up today. I know the chances are low that this is legitimate but I wanted to get it anyways because it's either a really good label transfer which usually easy to spot, a reproduction label, or some bizarre error that is legitimate. 

I tried finding some label reproductions and was able to find some on etsy.. but they are different and very easy to tell that it's a reproduction. I've included that picture for comparison. This label also has the numbers stamped on the front. I've never seen that reproduced but I suppose it could be. Have you guys seen the stamped numbers reproduced? That's why I was thinking someone just took the label off the gameboy color black cartridge and put it on the gray cart. That would be a very weird thing to do and also you can usually tell that someone did this because the process is not easy/perfect.

I'll have to wait until it show up to check the board. Is any one familiar with the rom differences between the US gray release of bomberman gb, the US black of bomberman pocket , and the eur gray and black release  of bomberman pocket?

Screenshot_20230425_132214_Mercari.jpg

Screenshot_20230425_104937_Chrome.jpg

24 minutes ago, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

Check this out. I picked this up today. I know the chances are low that this is legitimate but I wanted to get it anyways because it's either a really good label transfer which usually easy to spot, a reproduction label, or some bizarre error that is legitimate. 

I tried finding some label reproductions and was able to find some on etsy.. but they are different and very easy to tell that it's a reproduction. I've included that picture for comparison. This label also has the numbers stamped on the front. I've never seen that reproduced but I suppose it could be. Have you guys seen the stamped numbers reproduced? That's why I was thinking someone just took the label off the gameboy color black cartridge and put it on the gray cart. That would be a very weird thing to do and also you can usually tell that someone did this because the process is not easy/perfect.

I'll have to wait until it show up to check the board. Is any one familiar with the rom differences between the US gray release of bomberman gb, the US black of bomberman pocket , and the eur gray and black release  of bomberman pocket?

the lower pic is a fake the code DNKG is used by a group out of china. 

8 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

the lower pic is a fake the code DNKG is used by a group out of china. 

I was just providing that picture because it was the only example of a reproduction label that I could find.  I was trying to determine if there are reproduction labels out there for sale that match closer to the one I purchased to see if someone had just placed it on a gray cartridge at some point but I could not find anything closer.

To be more clear..

The cartridge that I have has what seems to be an authentic label of pocket bomberman.

This label was only officially released in the US on gameboy color (black cartridge)

Is the label a reproduction?

Is the label transfered from a black cartridge using a heat gun?

Is the label a legitimate error?

Pocket bomberman is the same game as bomberman GB but was resold on the gameboy color. There seems to be a EUR gray and black cart version of pocket bomberman. Curious what the rom differences are to determine which rom is on the cartridge that I have 

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

Oh, I miss understood.  I think we have a black/blue vs white/gold dress situation going on here.  I didn't want to say anything because at a glance I thought they were suppose to be the same cartridge and I knew the second was fake.  But now that I understand, I think the first image is a black cartridge but with a bright light that's making the plastic glare and giving it a grayish tone.

2 minutes ago, RH said:

Oh, I miss understood.  I think we have a black/blue vs white/gold dress situation going on here.  I didn't want to say anything because at a glance I thought they were suppose to be the same cartridge and I knew the second was fake.  But now that I understand, I think the first image is a black cartridge but with a bright light that's making the plastic glare and giving it a grayish tone.

Haha you may be right. That would be kind of a bummer

• 4 weeks later...

This one use to be really tough to find, but it seems to pop up every 6 months or so.  Anyway, if any of you are still looking for a Sunsoft Lock-N-Chase, here's another one.  I can't tell about the condition from the images, but with a light cleaning, it looks like it might be a nice copy.  It's in the best quality I've seen in a long time, but definitely not mint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125945619071

On 4/25/2023 at 3:36 PM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

So... did your purchase turn out to be a Black Cart Bomber man?

1 hour ago, RH said:

This one use to be really tough to find, but it seems to pop up every 6 months or so.  Anyway, if any of you are still looking for a Sunsoft Lock-N-Chase, here's another one.  I can't tell about the condition from the images, but with a light cleaning, it looks like it might be a nice copy.  It's in the best quality I've seen in a long time, but definitely not mint.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125945619071

THAT IS A DAMN GOOD PRICE...  i paid more the 600 for both of mine..  lol  times are a changing now..  let hope this is the sign of things to come in gb market.  still have 1600 for the world set.  getting closer each day...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

First and foremost BIG SHOUT-OUT to DK for selling me a Bill & Ted correct logo! I'm not the hardcore collector like some of you, dumped a ton of money into my comic book collection, so the idea of 2-4 carts per single game and having the complete box is mind-blowing! hahaha So Ive fallen into the single cart, alternative version. I have star wars - red logo, Ghostbusters 2 - black label etc.....That being said, this group is amazing and Ive learned a LOT about gameboy games. 

If you read through that, good man! If not, all good. lol

Im here to ask is this a legit variant?

1. THE LOST WORLD - Ive only seen GREEN so i picked up this BLUE. I think its sun faded (green fades to blue) but the center logo is still clear and a decent black ink. Let me know your thoughts gang. Again, I appreciate you all sharing your hard earned information and insight. Thank you.

2. Spiderman 2 black cart with USA label, only ever seen standard GBC clear cart. My guess is European release with USA tag? - Still on eBay (400.00 for lot)

WV

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

Edited by Newbie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Got my ones of these:

JP6CpSz.jpg

Now I have all 508 USA GB games, according to unique product codes, lol. I asked the sellers where these came from. The Red seller, located in Texas, originally got it from "a collector in San Antonio," so that's good for the "Spanish-speaking states" theory. The Blue seller was in Pennsylvania and doesn't know where it originally came from. I wonder if these ran briefly and then they started using the LTN code instead?

8 hours ago, Splain said:

Got my ones of these:

JP6CpSz.jpg

Now I have all 508 USA GB games, according to unique product codes, lol. I asked the sellers where these came from. The Red seller, located in Texas, originally got it from "a collector in San Antonio," so that's good for the "Spanish-speaking states" theory. The Blue seller was in Pennsylvania and doesn't know where it originally came from. I wonder if these ran briefly and then they started using the LTN code instead?

Honestly it makes me more skeptical.  It's not right on the border, but it is one the closest big city in Texas to Mexico.  I know some people will shop in Mexico for stuff just because it's cheaper.  Did this guy say he was an original owner, or did he just pick it up locally.

If he got it from some place like an Electronic Boutique, but used, then that means it doesn't support the proof of anything, to be honest.  I'm not saying my border states theory is wrong, but I won't believe it until I see some proof.  Maybe if 10-20 of these pop up and they all come from places like Texas, New Mexico and Southern Florida, it might give it credence but for the time I'm standing with the "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Another reason why I have a tough time believing this is what happened is that I don't recall any game (GB/GBC/GBA) from that ear having a dual-language release in the US.  I know Pokeman was HUGE and all, but this is, IMHO, one of the oddest Nintendo releases if that's what happened.

Still, once I knock out a few variant goals, I might start looking for these as well.  I may not feel like they are US titles but there's no harm in having them.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for a set with no luck yet. Found a ltn red though

I noticed the esrb logo is white on the ltn red and black on the newly found set so it would be weird if they switched to the ltn after this set @Splain as in the other label variant cases the black esrb logos were released later in the production run

Edited by samsamsamsmasmasma

Editorials Team · Posted
On 8/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

I noticed the esrb logo is white on the ltn red and black on the newly found set so it would be weird if they switched to the ltn after this set @Splain as in the other label variant cases the black esrb logos were released later in the production run

Ah, that's a good point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2023 at 11:30 AM, samsamsamsmasmasma said:

now really sure what your talking about the LTN have NO ESRB not produced for sale in USA..  with the SPANISH USA's are ESRB because they were produced for sale in the USA.DMG-APES-LTN.jpg.8f98286dcef5acb08c94f9bcfbd6af15.jpg

Edited by JVOSS

after looking over all the extra carts in the collection and the help of VGG Community.  a total of 9 new cart are added to the TM/R OSQ list.  here is the list.

DMG-TR-USA (TM)
DMG-BB-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-SS-USA (TM)
DMG-BS-USA (TM)
DMG-MX-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-TN-USA (TM)
DMG-AW-USA (TM)
DMG-ML-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-CV-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-PB-USA (TM) ---VGG Community

enjoy.  only 25 more to check..

13 hours ago, JVOSS said:

after looking over all the extra carts in the collection and the help of VGG Community.  a total of 9 new cart are added to the TM/R OSQ list.  here is the list.

DMG-TR-USA (TM)
DMG-BB-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-SS-USA (TM)
DMG-BS-USA (TM)
DMG-MX-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-TN-USA (TM)
DMG-AW-USA (TM)
DMG-ML-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-CV-USA (TM) ---VGG Community
DMG-PB-USA (TM) ---VGG Community

enjoy.  only 25 more to check..

What/where is the "VGG Community"?