IGNORED

Wata price hikes / turnaround time increases

DefaultGen

Not sure how that compares to VGA pricing for sealed, but it does make business sense.

If you have people beating down your door, it's time to adjust price to level that out.   Hiring more people with the desired expertise level probably isn't an option for them.

Yeah, prices are now more in line with VGA pricing.  To be honest, this is long overdue.  You shouldn't just grade any game, you should be selective in which games you submit.  Higher prices will force you to be more selective for sure.

I also have never submitted a game to any grading company under the cheapest tier.  That tier should be long and cheap by definition of economy.  180 seems a bit high but it should be at least 90. 

I got a box of about 10 games I want to send off.  Sucks for me, but I get it.  They've had such long lead times, even at their top-tiers, it makes sense that they'd increase price.

Supply and demand--they can only spend so much time and effort grading their backlog, and if they have thousands of submissions that may take months to grade, they have to track all of that inventory (hopefully) in a climate controlled storage location.

By increasing prices, demand should go down a little (which means the market will also not be flooded with sub-par games, which is good) and WATA might get additional revenue and can higher and train more graders.

In the long run I think it's a win for everyone, but it just sucks because until I sell a few more high-dollar items, looks like I won't be getting anything graded for a while.

Administrator · Posted

Tbh I don't like the whole tiers thing where you can pay more to get it done faster. If everyone jumps on the top tier the poor schmucks at the bottom get fucked. Once again tossing more money at it beats out those who can't necessarily afford to drop an extra hundred on it. 

But I suppose this is all par for the course in the grading game, and it's a business. 

Fucking terrible for the Canada crew.  I only use economy tier for VGA and the couple of cibs I've graded and now it's over 70CAD to grade a single CIB!?  The wait time doesn't even bother me, but if you're going to hold it essentially indefinitely, I don't see why the price has to be so high...

And keep in mind I try to send like 30 things at once to minimize the shipping costs back and forth.  Sending a single item now is asinine.

Homebrew Team · Posted

Huh... my next sealed shipment was going to head their way (have always used VGA) -because- their prices and turnaround were better than VGA (they had increased their prices a while back).  Guess that incentive is completely gone now... The only thing that would keep me with WATA now, would be the possibility of homebrew grading for a couple of my rarer things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know how long theye’re backlogged still?  My speed run order has been there for a month (meaning so far twice as long as advertised), with pre grading photos uploaded for 8days with no grades. 

This is frustrating as i thought they would be quicker post the reopening of lower tier. If i’m getting turbo service for a speedrun order, i’d expect to pay turbo prices, not speed run.

Perhaps Wata could have 2 processes with 2 different backlogs, one for sealed and one for CIB?  That would help them turnaround sealed quicker as cib grading must take wayyy longer...

/end rant

• Sad 1

Administrator · Posted

They simply should never have opened the can of worms that is grading CIB games, imo. This has surely increased volume by a significant margin, especially with people wanting to get in on the craze. And it's easier than ever since basically anyone can send in an order with Cibs being much more common than sealed games. 

Heck, I was planning on sending in my sealed game(s) when I got some eventually, but being placed in line with a bunch of people sending in Cibs as investments has turned me off of it pretty hard. 

Still might consider VGA grading though. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jim Jimmer said:

Does anyone know how long theye’re backlogged still?  My speed run order has been there for a month (meaning so far twice as long as advertised), with pre grading photos uploaded for 8days with no grades. 

This is frustrating as i thought they would be quicker post the reopening of lower tier. If i’m getting turbo service for a speedrun order, i’d expect to pay turbo prices, not speed run.

Perhaps Wata could have 2 processes with 2 different backlogs, one for sealed and one for CIB?  That would help them turnaround sealed quicker as cib grading must take wayyy longer...

/end rant

I was debating posting anything here but I feel like certain things need to be said.

I submitted a Speed Run order for a friend in Nov when it was still five business days turnaround. The order was received and scanned on the 7th of Dec. In two days it will now be a month, or 400 percent longer than their advertised time.

It doesn't end there. Two weeks ago I emailed support (who replied promptly which was excellent) if they could update me. They said they would work on it that day, and obvs two weeks later it didn't

Last week on the advice of another friend, I DMed one of the employees directly. They were also prompt and indicated to check on the order for grading last week. It also wasn't.

I DMed said per again this weekend, and received a somewhat stressed reply that they are extremely backlogged and working weekends and even Christmas and New Year's to catch up. There has been no point in my replying at this point.

Take aways: 

1. Noone should be working holidays. People are human and need to rest with family. I'm also against working weekends unless aptly compensated.

2. There is no indication on the Wata site there is a backlog and to expect delays.

3. As of November they were taking payments for turnaround times they seemingly had zero intention of honoring, which Im fairly sure is illegal to knowingly advertise goods and services you cannot provide.

4. Communication as a whole has been much better recently, though everything I have been told in regard to timing has been a fabrication, to the point where I'd prefer a general "within X weeks" timeline and some compensation for completely missing my tier time by several magnitudes.

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Jim Jimmer said:

8 hours ago, Gloves said:

They simply should never have opened the can of worms that is grading CIB games, imo. This has surely increased volume by a significant margin, especially with people wanting to get in on the craze. And it's easier than ever since basically anyone can send in an order with Cibs being much more common than sealed games. 

Heck, I was planning on sending in my sealed game(s) when I got some eventually, but being placed in line with a bunch of people sending in Cibs as investments has turned me off of it pretty hard. 

To be honest I think the effect of CIB grading is a bit overblown.  No doubt it was very significant over the summer and most of last year when CIB grading was so cheap and CIBs were doing crazy numbers on HA, but a lot of that has cooled off.  And CIB grading does cost more than Sealed grading, and prices did go up by 25-50% across the board.

But yes, I think you should at least double the turnaround time, consider it all business days and then hope you get the grade around then.  Then probably wait another several weeks until it return ships.  I also am fairly disappointed that they reworked their tiers and posted updated turnaround times like they had ironed out some kinks and these turnarounds were realistic.  Clearly they aren't.