IGNORED

What are your best complete downer movies

DefaultGen

23 minutes ago, Californication said:

Was Pi depressing? It basically said that god is real, but you are not physically capable of understanding him. And the main character lost his super powers.

The way it flows it falls into a similar "fever dream" category as Jacob's Ladder, and ends with the guy lobotomizing himself with a screwdriver.... whether you find that depressing or not, is up to you I suppose.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I just happened to watch it for the first time in college while I was sick with the flu and had a fever of 104...as a result it was a bit "too real" 😛

That must have been trippy. Especially when the demonic images started appearing. 😛

56 minutes ago, Jfreakofkorn said:

Human Centipede ( ifc film , its of 1 of 3 . But dont quote on it . Its been a while since i have seen them )

This is quite a trilogy. I thought the first one was kind of boring, more interesting in concept than execution. The Tom Six made 2 as a fuck you to people who thought the first movie wasn’t graphic enough, and it’s almost a masterpiece of excessive sleazy gore. And then 3 just all around might be the worst movie ever made!

• Like 1

Nice suggestions so far, some of them have been on my bucket list for quite some time, unfortunately my wife doesn't take well the really bleak ones, I might be able to convince her to watch some of these like Mother (we both like Aronofsky and we haven't seen it) or something like The Road.

A bit surprised Eraserhead was brought up, but Lynch is super popular so it makes sense, saw it once and that was enough lol.

I've wanted to watch Irréversible for a long time, in fact most of Gaspar Noé films seem interesting.

Events Team · Posted
8 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Brazil

8 hours ago, twiztor said:

the only movie that ever bummed me out and fucked with my head, for days after watching, was A Scanner Darkly.

I watch Brazil and A Scanner Darkly once or twice a year.  Probably give em both a 9 or 10.  While I appreciate the bleak themes of a 1984 imperial state rule, my take is that both movies are similarly uplifting.  Because of the brainwashing (or in spite of), both protagonists are finally content in the end.  

Edited by JamesRobot

Here are my current 25 favorites that fit the description either throughout or where it matters:

1. Eraserhead (1977)
  2. Incendies (2010)
  3. Threads (1984)
  4. Mulholland Drive (2001)
  5. Enter the Void (2009)
  6. Prisoners (2013)
  7. Love (2015)
  8. Mother! (2017)
  9. Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975)
  10. Eden Lake (2008)
  11. Hereditary (2018)
  12. Grave of the Fireflies (1988)
  13. We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011)
  14. I Stand Alone (1998)
  15. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017)
  16. In a Glass Cage (1986)
  17. El infierno (2010)
  18. Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  19. Martyrs (2008)
  20. Taxidermia (2006)
  21. I Saw the Devil (2010)
  22. Scum (1979)
  23. The Snowtown Murders (2011)
  24. Melancholia (2011)
  25. Possum (2018)
Edited by sp1nz

5 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

Speaking of which, I'll throw 1984 out there.  Another one that's not nearly as good as the book but what movie is?

If you haven't seen it the 1956 version of 1984 is really good - being shot in black and white drives home the bleakness even more.  A little cranky with age but still pretty poignant.

There were also British (1954) and US (1953) tv productions but I haven't seen those.

• Like 1

Wow, it's surprisingly hard for me to think of any titles off the top of my head, even though I do recall watching a lot of movies that I loved despite being left immensely depressed.

I guess more recently, I'm Thinking of Ending Things is definitely one. It has an absurdly depressing theme, and I think it's perfectly possible to watch the entire movie without even picking up on it, so it might not feel that way to everyone. But to me, it definitely made me sad in a way few movies have.

14 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

...or Mother.  Or Black Swan.  Or anything he ever made 😆

Jacob's Ladder is an amazing movie, and I'm pretty sure Darren Aronofsky had nothing to do with it. I don't know what it is that makes people like his movies so much, but all of the ones I've seen have been pretty bad. They pretty much hit you over the head with their message in a way that feels almost insulting.