IGNORED

What are your best complete downer movies

DefaultGen

Events Team · Posted

I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Downfall, AKA Der Undertang, a 2004 German historical drama film focusing on the final days of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany as the Red Army closes in on Berlin, told partially through the perspective of Traudl Junge, Hitler's secretary at the time.

Many people know this film through this scene as well as all the memes that stemmed from it:

As many people have put it, myself included, the absolute best film I've seen that I never want to watch again. Absolutely incredible movie though, and I'd very highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it to watch it. As one person put it, after watching it for awhile, you start to forget that you're watching a movie, it feels like you're just watching history as it played out. Amazing movie.

Another good one I'd highly recommend is 12 Years a Slave, a 2013 biographical drama film about Solomon Northup's 12 years of slavery in the 1800s, heavily based on his memoirs of the same name. Another absolutely amazing movie that I'm not sure I'd ever want to watch again, but another one I'd highly recommend anyone watch.

Another one is Come and See, a 1985 Russian film focusing on the Nazi occupation of Belarus and all the atrocities that happened therein, told from the perspective of a young Belarusian teen. Unlike the previous two movies, I believe this one's events are fictional, although all of the horrible things that happen within the movie certainly did take place in one way or another during the time period and location it takes place in.

You'll probably notice a trend with my favorite downer movies that a lot of them are either for the most part non-fiction, or are fictional stories told on a backdrop of real events. I think I just personally find horrible things that have happened in real life to be a lot more depressing than things that didn't actually happen. I guess I just find sadder or disturbing movies more effecting when you know these events, or events like it, actually happened in real life and effected real people, rather than watching something that, even if it does get to you, you know that at the end of the day, it's completely fictional.

As a sidenote to the "downer movies" discussion -- do any of you guys remember the Aliens line of action figures?  Did you know they were supposed to be affiliated with a CARTOON SERIES based on Aliens?

I love those movies... but I have a hard time seeing how you take something that grim and make a kid's show out of it.

3 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I can think of a few off the top of my head.

Downfall, AKA Der Undertang, a 2004 German historical drama film focusing on the final days of Adolf Hitler and Nazi Germany as the Red Army closes in on Berlin, told partially through the perspective of Traudl Junge, Hitler's secretary at the time.

If you aren't familiar with the documentary series "World at War" has several clips from an interview with her in some of the episodes.  Very illuminating.

There is a great film called Triumph of the Spirit - which tells the true story of a Greek boxer sent to Auschwitz.  I suspect you would like it if you haven't seen it.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted
30 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'll keep that in mind, since I love Vigo's work, and was originally really excited about the trailer.

But man... that book... it does one of the most thorough and lasting jobs of stripping away the concept of hope that I have ever seen.  It is genuinely traumatizing.

Keep in mind also, that I've seen almost every movie mentioned so far, so I may be rather hardened.

• Like 1

Eraserhead. It's absolutely disgusting and depressing and I never want to see again. But it's worth watching at least once for the art.

Combat Shock. It's  Eraserhead crossed with Taxi Driver and pretty good for Troma. It's like the film version of the song Frankie Teardrop.

Meg is Missing. Oh you wanted "best." Sorry. The ending is a real downer though.

Not a movie, but Jurassic Bark.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
17 minutes ago, doner24 said:

Some great answers thus far, some additions:

Blue Valentine

Grave of the Fireflies. 

I've been meaning to watch Grave of the Fireflies with a bud of mine for a long time. Really looking forward to whenever we're both in the mood for it.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

If you aren't familiar with the documentary series "World at War" has several clips from an interview with her in some of the episodes.  Very illuminating.

There is a great film called Triumph of the Spirit - which tells the true story of a Greek boxer sent to Auschwitz.  I suspect you would like it if you haven't seen it.

I'll definitely put them both down on my list, they do sound like the type of stuff I'd enjoy.

9 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Meg is Missing. Oh you wanted "best." Sorry. The ending is a real downer though.

Haha, Megan is Missing is great because there’s a group of old people who think it’s a realistic depiction of gen Z. This kids are always getting drunk at raves or murdered and stuffed into barrels, am I right!

My entries.

The Death of Stalin

True, it is a dark comedy which you will laugh at, but you will also walk away from the film, considering the historicity of the film and realize just how sad and insane that period of Russian history was.

District 9

Ok, so that one does have a happy ending, but when I saw it in theaters, all I knew was it was an allegory for the Apartheid. I was expecting it to not end well and the whole time I was really torn apart by the fact that I unexpectedly came to love the aliens and expected the ending to be bleak and unredemptive.

Life is Beautiful

This film was a sea of emotions and although it is a film about finding joy in the midst of great tragedy and suffering as a way to endure, it doesn't make the ending any less sober.

27 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Reading that book was legitimately one of the most depressing experiences of my life, up to that point.  It was hard for me to imagine wanting to inflict that on myself again in movie form.

25 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I don't recall the film having much of an impact on me, whereas I've heard the same thing about the book from several people, including my mother.

I agree with Reed. I didn't feel hopeless or depressed after watching it. It certainly presents a dark vision of the future, but the father-son journey is fantastic.

18 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I agree with Reed. I didn't feel hopeless or depressed after watching it. It certainly presents a dark vision of the future, but the father-son journey is fantastic.

You should read the book to see where I'm coming from.

It is not written as a "father-son journey" that has any positive takeaway, IMO -- it is the most utterly hopeless story of surviving for the sake of surviving after pretty much all of the other good people in the world have apparently killed themselves out of despair and only the worst people are left to contend with.

Moderator · Posted
3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

You should read the book to see where I'm coming from.

It is not written as a "father-son journey" that has any positive takeaway, IMO -- it is the most utterly hopeless story of surviving for the sake of surviving after pretty much all of the other good people in the world have apparently killed themselves out of despair and only the worst people are left to contend with.

I’ve read the book and watched the film and agree with both sides. The book is much heavier than than the film, but still not McCarty’s bleakest book. 

43 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I've been meaning to watch Grave of the Fireflies with a bud of mine for a long time. Really looking forward to whenever we're both in the mood for it.

Somewhat off topic but you might like this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Giants-Dwarfs-Auschwitz-Extraordinary-Lilliput/dp/1849544646

It is not totally bleak because after undergoing a lot of hardships the entire family survived Auschwitz - the only family known to have done so.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

or Pi from the same director.

Jacob's Ladder is another "fever dream" type of movie that you just walk away from feeling like you need a shower.

Was Pi depressing? It basically said that god is real, but you are not physically capable of understanding him. And the main character lost his super powers.